Lapping Away..

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by vexed_uk, Jan 20, 2006.

1. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    Hi guys, i thought i would do a little walk thu on lapping. lapping is when you take say your new waterblock and polish it up nice, to help lower your temps. im also going to post this in my "chilly enough?" section, as it is todo with part of the zubzero watercooling build.

Stage one,
    as those of you know, i brought all my watercooling bits for my "chiller" and mostly i havnt paid much attention to them as well...i had other things to worry about, but now i decided too as my mate pointed out the rubbishnuss of the waterblock i got....

[​IMG]

as you can see from this image...NOT very shiny, and shiny is good :) so this is bad lol

so i got out the sand paper...most people will tell you to start with a low grain like 320 and work all the way down too, well as low as you can find. i argree with this lol. so i started with P320>P500>P600>P1200 only beacuse this is all i could find in the garage..and this is what i got.

[​IMG]

which is better..not good enought tho, but i didnt have anything lower than P1200, so i had a brain wave.

Stage 2,

having recently buffed my car, i decided maby i could do the same with the block..

so..i started with this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

off i went doing that

[​IMG]

and look how much i removed from the copper.

[​IMG]

now after i finished with that paste, this is how it looked...still alot better but i can still see the scratches and well thats not good enought

Stage 3

T-CUT, yes the stuff you send the kids out to use on your car..which then then pour on, and remove and massive patch of paint. but i used it right, and it was good :) lol

[​IMG]

after applying to a damp cloth :p , i started rubbing and removed a fair amount more of the copper..

[​IMG]

after 20mins the finished item..

[​IMG]

just like a mirror.

so to recap.

1. sand paper the surface, using differnt grades
    2. use rubbing compound
    3. tcut
    4. admire, your lovly mug in your heatsink/waterblock

hope this if of some use to some ppl out there.

2. Jacku62

Jacku62 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 690
    0.o i need a mirror like that one :D

3. Dup

Dup Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB SC
    I wouldn't risk it mate, you might break it!

Wrrr, anyway. I have an old bottle of T-Cut in the shed, oddly enough it has the same old Halfords price sticker in the same place. Didn't get it from Blackburn Halfrauds did you?

I might do this to my XP 90c next time I take it off. Cheers!

4. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    lol, no mate sutton coldfield :p £6.45 lmao

5. Kenshai

Kenshai Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT / 479/790
    much better now man.

6. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Those are some visible results! A job well done, and a nice guide. How about results? I cant immagine temps dropped by to much, maybe 2-3C?

7. otaku

otaku Guest

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    i like this kind of atention to detail very low price with noticed performance good stuff

8. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200