1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KuroTenshi's Textures and Shaders improvements (Downloads on January 25th or 26th)

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by KuroTenshi, Jan 23, 2016.

1. KuroTenshi

KuroTenshi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
    Without Reshade I don't think. It's made to be used with Reshade, to get better graphics than vanilla ultra.

I modified diffuse textures to make them more sharpened and contrasted, recreated normal maps, and reduced by 1/3 the image dimensions.
    I used too a new compression format, used by DirectX 11. The purpose was a quasi lossless compression (less details lost than the usual DXT5)

BUT Watch Dogs is NOT a DirectX 11 game. The base of the game, for all plateforms, is the PS3 version ! That's why it's so badly optimized and downgraded.

Watch Dogs's engine gave me the illusion it worked (while in fact my textures were simply ignored). When I realized that, I recompressed the textures to DXT5, for them to work.

That the reason I was not really proud to present them at last, despite having worked hard for weeks (months ?)

But I didn't test a lot as I was really angered for having been fooled for several months.

2. exacelt

exacelt Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm really sorry to hear that...
    It's just really sad how Ubisoft treats PC gamers, but thankfully runs good during the beta.

3. KuroTenshi

KuroTenshi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
    I still hope for feedback, expecting my work is of use.

4. exacelt

exacelt Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'll try it out. ^~^

5. exacelt

exacelt Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Download for Reshade just brings me to the texture download. ;~;

6. Rafnagud

Rafnagud Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Does this mean the original file you had uploaded, the one with the 2gb+ patch.dat file, has that bug? If yes, what exactly is that bug?

7. KuroTenshi

KuroTenshi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
    Link fixed. My bad !

@rafnagood : Yes the bug was there. I have been fooled as a Sweetfx Preset was already in use.

8. exacelt

exacelt Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Okay, so I messed around with it... and I don't really know my opinion on it...
    I used my mod + Reshade to test this.
    First off, I don't like that glow effect? It's like say in a loading screen, and the hints will have like a blue glowing effect to them.
    The Reshade seems almost too contrasted... though I'm unsure.
    It's quite demanding too.
    Does look quite good though, just... I'm not sure if it's for me.

9. KuroTenshi

KuroTenshi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
    I made this Reshade preset using E3 Lite V2. So it might render different in other contexts.

For the blue glow, it's a cinematic effect I quite like if well balanced. It's for light sources. I still have to adjust it. I was mainly busy with sharpening without altering too much the image. And for interface, unfortunately it's a bug to deal with. I could have spared the UI if it was static.
    You can disable it by setting USE_GAUSSIAN_ANAMFLARE to 0 in gemfx.cfg.

In E3 Lite V2, this preset's rendering is rather similar to "vanilla". It's less washed out, but I think not too much contrasted.

This preset is quite demanding indeed. It's because of Adaptive-Sharpen I introduced in 1.6.

If you test with V 1.5 where I was using a high-pass filter, performances should be better. It's a different rendering, probably less contrasted in your case. 1.6 is a "reboot"
    Watch Dogs Reshading by KuroTenshi 1.5

It remains a WIP as I am never satisfied.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  10. KuroTenshi

KuroTenshi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
    Tested textures and remade Reshade preset using Reshade 2.0, with big optimizations.

I am pleased with the results. I didn't work hard for nothing ^^

Last edited: May 8, 2016

11. Danielosama

Danielosama New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980
    How do I install the optimized textures?
    Thanks for the answers.

12. KuroTenshi

KuroTenshi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
    I don't have much time so I'll be short, for now.

You have to unpack your "patch.dat" file (in data_win64 folder) using "gibbed tools". Then you copy/paste new textures in "data", then repack with the same tools, and replace your initial "patch.dat".