Kozary's Quad SLI & RTX NVLink Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Kozary, Dec 21, 2020.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Hello again, I know I responded to this question on my 4-Way Sli thread.

Perhaps Kozary can look more into this as I been extremely super busy of Finalizing results/videos for the my latest game: Warhammer 40k - Inquistor/Martyr, its actually on my front page on my thread.

I am hoping to get everything done by this week, then I have to upload all of the videos up and present my final conclusion results, I have put tons of work into the stuff I am doing, guys have no idea.

Again, I will really look into these 2 games on my time later, I know they were not very easy to deal with, I would say, Control was quite a bit harder to get the game to scale over Batman, Batman on the other hand, I had some anomalies here and there, mainly flashing anomalies, Scaling was, If I remembered correctly, got it up to tri-sli performance, I have to look more into these games later.

Hopefully Kozary can look into this more as I am finishing up my stuff, I been extremely busy finishing up this game, maybe afterwards, I'll look into it more but my next game that I will be focusing on is Doom3+Absolute HD Texture Mod+Reshade & Baldur's Gate 3, but I'll take a gander at it once more.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  2. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    Genshin Impact SLI Update

New patches and stuff was making the flickering pretty bad. Managed to fix water flickering, neon flicker (no longer need to ctrl alt del), sereanea teapot issues and flickering light sources and vibrating foliage.

Things not fixed. Shadows on med or higher, rain texture flicker, world particle flicker.

SLI Hack 0xA000A0A0 let me get rid of the 5th hex bit in compat bits which caused a lot of issues. Overall it has much better compatibility. A break down of these Hexs effect on the game below:
    bit 1 - stability, also enables use of broadcast without crashing when set to E*
    bit 5 - big scaling + flicker reduction
    bit 7 - scaling improvement

Could be of use in other Unity games, such as Tarkov as that game hated the 5h bit in compatibility.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  3. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Don't normally mess with the 5th hex down within the Sli Specific Hacks (DX1x), as it only offers very small(Placebo) differences, I never really use it, thanks for the heads up.

EDIT:

Also, 1st hex down with Sli Specific Hacks 0x0<<~~, this hex right here, some games it is required for scaling to be kicked in at all, but that being said, other bits have to be ignited with this particular hex, as mentioned on my thread, some has to work together, not just one, otherwise, scaling wont kick in at all, it will be completely dormant(Asleep), also as well as: 0x0000000<<~~ within Sli Specific Hacks (DX1x):, absolutely, this one is extremely important in some games, absolutely yes.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  4. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    Serious Sam 4

Stability - lesser scaling lesser crash
    Broadcast - 0x00000101
    Compatibility - 0x800020F5
    SLI Copy Engine - 0x00000010
    SLI Hack - 0xE000A000

Performance - increasing GPU voltage seemed to make it stable
    Broadcast - 0x0000000A
    Compatibility - 0x800000F5
    SLI Hack - 0xE000A000

Ingame settings:
    GPU Refraction - off //this completely kills SLI scaling
    CPU Render Distance - the more this setting is increased the lesser scaling becomes CPU bound possibly, i have the bar halfway
    Other settings seem fine however i do not recommend certain settings as they are extremely heavy and add no visual fidelity. In this game resolution is king it is worth dropping settings to raise the resolution. Shadow size and tree render distance are absolute fps tankers.

Quad SLI only 2/3way crashes instantly with these bits.

Very minor graphical anomalies, only mention is spawn area might have issues but once you move out its gone.

measured scaling was between 350-375% however when moving scaling or frame rate does take a ~50fps hit with that being said its still butter smooth.
    24-33fps single
    90-111fps quad

Bit breakdown:

Broadcast 6th - Brings scaling back with 8th hex enabled.
    Broadcast 8th - reduces scaling but reduces scaling drag when moving. Also needed game stability.
    Compatibility 1st - SFR mode
    Compatibility 5th - improves frame pacing, minor scaler
    Compatibility 6th - major scaler //not currently using
    SLI Hack 1st - Stability
    SLI Hack 5th - Helps alleviate scaling drag when moving

Updated 8/12/21 considerably more consistent scaling.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Excellent Work.

Also Kozary, another heads up but you probably already know...

Under Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits:

0x00000<<~~ 5th hex down, sitting it to digit: 2, depending on game, it can drastically get rid of basically all graphical anomalies, especially flashing textures,etc but in turn, you might experience a drastic decrease in your overall scaling performance, some games might not be even effected at all, and yes, this particular hex(5th hex down), plays a big fat role in your overall scaling performance, in some games, it is absolutely required, otherwise, scaling won't kick in worth jack.

There are other bits that are required to get the scaling to even kick in at all, some games, will need to work together, one can not be left out, otherwise, you will be in total handicap mode.

From my experience of doing hardcore quad sli tuning:

Here are the bit breakdown on which one that is required(depending on game) in order for the game to even scale at all, again, some games, some of these bits have to work in conjunction.

Example:

Under Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits: 0x0<<~~ 1st hex down, I believe there was one game that was required in order for the scaling to be kicked in, I think it was Echo(UE4 game), cant exactly remember, & 0x000000<<~~6th hex down & 0x00000000<<~~ 8th hex down,

Under Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x00<<~~ 2nd hex down, 0x00000<<~~ 5th hex down & another major player(Depending on game): 0x000000<<~~ 6th hex down, this particular hex(6th hex down), if for example, everything is tuned properly and some given specific area of the game, just don't want to scale, it wants to but it can't, this one might do the trick, took me awhile to figure this one out with Hellpoint, and yes, believe it or not, I even mentioned this on of my earlier post on my thread, that, even different mobo's(motherboards), can also drastically effect your scaling(Depending on the situation your in), I ran into some problems with hellpoint, especially in the beginning, depending on the spot your in, there is a reduction of your overall scaling performance, now with the Asrock Server rack I still have, using the same bits, it was a light and day difference, next, I went back to the asus Z10PE-d8 mobo and see if I could improve it, no can do, I even went back under: Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x000000<<~~ 6th hex down, as the digit: 7, literally was the game changer while using the Asrock mobo, on the Asus mobo, nope, I even tried to fine tune this particular bit, nope, did other things, nope, no can do, that being said, the Asus still scaled absolutely fantastic, it's just certain given situations, again, depending on the game of course, that you will see differences, Hellpoint is one of those games, to my knowledge, the only game that showed that much difference between the two boards.

And finally:

Under: Sli Specific Hacks (DX1x): 0x0<<~~ 1st hex down, some games, this is required, I believe Echo(UE4 game) was one of them, 0x000000<<~~ 6th hex down, 0x0000000<<~~ 7th hex down & 0x00000000<<~~ 8th hex down...

Again, some games, it is required for some of the bits to work in conjuction(Together), otherwise scaling will "NOT" kick in, in otherwords, one of the bits can not be left out, they work in unison(Together).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  6. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    Outward SLI

Compatibility - 0x8A0020F5
    SLI Hack - 0x70000000

Game settings
    3840x2160
    water - high //ultra does not work or look any different
    antialiasing - off //for now not sure if this effect scaling or not but i use fxaa/smaa in reshade
    rest is ultra

Near perfect 400% scaling, scaling goes down in towns but so does single gpu perf and this is very much more pronounced on a 2080ti so mostly an optimization issue. This is another SLI friendly unity game that scales with the usual unity bits. No flickering, no anomalies literally plug and play quad SLI, might crash after 1hr game play no big deal as that's as long as i can play for.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Can you take a picture please, compress the image and upload them, show performance from 1 GPU vs 4 GPU's and also, the resolution and its settings, thanks.

8. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    screenshots not happening osd will not capture. Got some photos of the average and worst case scenario scaling areas.

Scaling is just about perfect in the open world which is where you spend all your time. Absolutely blows the socks off my 2080ti as that cannot handle this game in 4k without stuttering.

Also interesting to see how much extra RAM is being used under SLI.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Are you using afterburner? Capture is working perfectly over here.

I know if you take a capture under reshade, the osd from afterburner won't be there for some reason, ever tried the old school: fraps???

10. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Special favor to ask, There is a game you might be interested in: Elden Ring, comes out on the 24th of this month, and I just looked at the min and recommended specs, on the API, both says DX12, they just recently updated it, if you happen to get on the game, please let me know if you can play it in DX11, hopefully there will be an option, I just got to many games to work on, I am not even focusing on the 3 games I need to get done, but yes, been way super busy with all of this stuff, again, only if you are interested in even tuning or playing the game, if you do, please let me know asap on it, if it is DX11, I will quickly do an initial at a glance tuning session on it, and if so, I might even try some reshade with it, it will defin't be my future projects to come, oh yes, thanks again.

11. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    In regards about Elden Ring, I bought the game just recently today, pre-loaded the game so it can be ready to play when the launch lifts.

During the initial startup, right after the anti-game cheat thingy, I get a error crash, seems I might have to try this my other ssd that has the 21h2 build and yes, very interestingly enough, on the splash screen, Afterburner osd reads this game from the get go: DX9, seems like this game might have an option for many tastes here, very very good, it will work in my favor(Hopefully).

If indeed I can get the game to work under my favor then I'll post new update on my 4-Way Sli thread(Sticky).

EDIT:

Yes, you will need a newer Win 10x64 build to launch the game properly & Right off the back, the game runs in DX12 API, I then tried to do: -dx11 under launch options, as well as -dx11 within the shortcut to desktop, both of them = X.

I did some minimal bit tuning within the DX12 bits, as before, games that are DX12 in nature, any minute tuning within the DX12 bits = Crash or won't start(Hang), I only did some and it hanged within the white screen(Right before the title screen appears).

I also looked into the game option config within the game folder, and in it, very interesting, on one parameter line, it shows: Raytracing @ high settings, even though there is no setting within the game option menu atm, in time they will implement it, but not to sure right off the back however, it is showing within the GraphicConfig.xml.

Game is stuck on 1 GPU mode, I am looking at other methods to work around with, If I am success of making it happen, I will re-edit this post, and I will post a new post within my own thread, if not, I'll just leave it be until some kind of changes within the future(Doubt it) will happen, or if some work around has been discovered.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  12. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    Looks like they last minute decided to go exclusive dx12 if CFR crashes your probably crap out of luck.

13. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I also tried to do: -force-dx11, either through the launch options or through desktop shortcut method, both methods are = X.

Again, hopefully in time there will be a workaround, but I doubt it at this point.

Also, I now just learned that, some of the Sli Compatibility (DX12) Bits, does not hang the game, although its still stuck on 1 GPU, I might get lucky, that being said, as before, all the other DX12 games in the past, due to their nature, any minute tuning within the bits themselves = instant crash, this one(Elden Ring), somehow got lucky, but not giving any hopes up yet, the bits in general are still highly sensitive to minor hang during startup or crash, no bsod or things of that nature, so no worries there.

I will continue to do more tuning, if I see multi-gpu being kicked in, in anyway shape or form, I'll give heads up, right here only on guru3d.com, but don't bet on it.

EDIT:

Ok, in regards about the overall sensitivity during start up for Elden Ring while messing with the Sli Compatibility (DX12) Bits, if you put the rendering mode to Autoselect, the game will create a minor hang right before the title screen, you have to forcefully exit the program, if you set the sli rendering mode to: SFR, it will not do any kind of hangs or whatnot, I believe why its doing this is:, since there is nothing to recognize while enabling SFR, it will just operate under 1 GPU mode, I need to do more testing, will update later.

EDIT AGAIN:

Got more great news coming along, well kinda:

I have successfully triggered all 4 gpu's, if your interested kozary:

Open up: Nvidia Inspector, and look under: Sli Compatibility (DX12) Bits

0x0<<~~ 1st hex down, if set to 8 + SFR = Hang right before title screen, if set to digit: 9, all 4 gpu's will be triggered but it will require tons of work, just to see all 4 gpu's being triggered = I might have a glimmer of hope here, I'll keep everyone posted.

Just make sure both: Sli Rendering mode & NVIDIA predefined SLI mode on DX1x on: SFR.

Also Kozary, while exiting out the game, I experienced while browsing the web, kinda messed up, even signing off doesn't help, you might want to restart your system to be safe, thanks.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  14. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    Haven SLI

Compatibility bits- 0x0800E0F5

SLI hack- 0x70000000

That's it nice and simple, another unity SLI banger!

Scaling overall is pretty good certainly not A1. some areas seemed to drop off in gpu usage across 3 but stay high on 1 and then some areas was spot on very good quad sli scaling. I honestly did bother checking scaling accurately but i was running the game at 150-200fps limited. A single gpu was not attaining a playable frame rate was a choppy low 70-80. I forgot to take screenshots of this game, i played it beginning to end on the couch with the missus. Visually not any issues other then sometimes the 2d avatars of the chat in two or three places started wigging out not a persistent issue.

Was a very good Quad SLI Experience and also a very good game. Reshade used.

15. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    Tower of Fantasy

SLI Broadcast - 0x0000000A
    Compatibility bits - 0x880020F5
    SLI Hacks - 0x0B000000

Section 8 Extra:
    0x00110999 (2 Profiles): 0x00001000
    0x00854CAB (26 Profiles): 0x00000038
    0x00A25FC4 (14 Profiles): 0x20000001

Obviously the blur settings (taa) need to be disabled for favor of better IQ options like DSR for this to work. Reshade is banned in the anti cheat so just use a bypass method to inject it like you would in Genshin I so far have not used it myself. Off topic I quit playing Genshin Impact because of the new intrusive anti cheat completely disabling reshade and making the game stutter every time it scans system memory.

Single card ~40fps
    quad sli ~160fps
    tested in 4k, near perfect scaling

Scaling mostly comes from the extra bits added to get the game into proper fullscreen mode. Hack and broadcast work in combination to get everything to render and reduce bus work load.

No graphical anomalies or issues what so ever in game and scaling is nearly perfect in 2way or 4way SLI 3way not tested. The game has some hitching for me when assetts load in with and without SLI on, i have an extensive list of .ini modifications but nothing really seems to fix it. It just seems to have a really short draw distance which does not seem to help. The higher the frame rate the less noticeable the hitching becomes.

Profile has issues with quests triggering serious missing geometry and crashing this is common with UE4 and i will continue to perfect this profile because the game scales so well!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    A M D BugBear likes this.

16. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Hello again, what is your most focused, current project now?

Also, just an update on Elden Ring as I forgot to update that on your thread awhile back ago.

Both DX12 + DX11 work around (Still shows DX12 within OSD) = X.

Ever tried to tune Edge of Eternity (Unity engine based) yet?

17. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    I did read about Elden Ring in your thread, i found the game has massive performance issues using my 2080ti getting over 80-90fps on any settings seems to be very hard and the stuttering causes missed inputs ill be sticking to dark souls that's for sure. Speaking of soulslike games the new Lords of the Fallen looks good and the old one was excellent graphically and in SLI.

I have not tried edge of eternity and my current projects would be Metal Hellsinger (unity), Shadow warrior 3(ue4) and the newest Deus Ex(inhouse).

So far of my projects shadow warrior 3 and Deus Ex both show excellent potential in quad SLI but i was having system stability issues. I wiped my raid 0 array and system functions like normal again. This was not an OS or game drive either very weird it only caused the system to crash when SLI was active.

Metal Hellsinger tuning wise seems to be quite advanced and i have not spent much time on it but i can confirm it works in quad sli and that the game is absolutely fantastic.

18. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    My BSOD issue "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" under 3/4way SLI mode has returned after i thought i had fixed it and my computer was working as intended for almost a week. I have tried just about everything i can think of all GPUs in the system are fine and it functions perfectly normal with any 2 gpus running. I am starting to wonder if one of my PSUs is getting weak and disrupting the m.2 drive as it is quite old maybe 6-7years. New windows install etc. all tried and the error persists. It usually crashes on a loading screen when there is no power draw though.

I can't think of a way to test my psu as i do not have another computer that draws 1kw+

19. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Sometimes while your on a much newer win 10x64 build, since its extremely more sensitive then the older version, such as RS2, the one I always use, you are more prone to these BSOD's, especially on which specific graphic drivers your using, I have always used RS2 of win 10x64, never had a stinkin' problem, that is why, who ever dares takes the path that we are both doing, I absolutely strongly recommend using the Windows Build that I am using, RS2 (15063/RTM), I have never had a single problem, its the newer windows build that the overall sensitivity is absolutely alot more extreme and alot more prone to BSOD's, Black Screen, Hangs for 5-10 mins while launching a game, Flashing Purple like color on screen while above your native resolution (Whether through DSR or Custom Resolution/Depending on game) sometimes the frame pacing is crazy, whereas, RS2 = The complete opposite.

Far's your Psu is concerned, I would test the Psu, one GPU at a time, if you have a 1200w, you should able to use all 4 Gpu's at once, but, make sure your power target is way down, otherwise you will go way beyond the rated spec of that psu, you have 2X Single Rail/1200W Psu correct? Also, while your at it, do some Voltage test on the +12V wires, including: CPU/PCI-E & Mobo wires, see what you come up with, idle and under load.

So again, that's what I would do, use one of those PSU, test all 4 Gpu's separately, then I would go up from there, X2, X3, then X4 Gpu's on that psu, but again, make sure your power target is way down while under 4 Gpu's, you will go way over the rated spec of that psu your using, I believe you told me your using dual 1200w correct?

What brand are you using for the Dual Psu cable? For me, the cable that always worked wonders are these and I would not use anything else:

https://www.thermaltake.com/dual-psu-24pin-adapter-cable.html

And no, the one I been using for sometime is not 18 AWG, its 16 AWG, and yes, they are extremely hard to come by, if you happened to find one, make sure its 16 AWG and not 18 AWG, thanks.

Also, while your doing the voltage testing, I came across a forum awhile back ago, I read where that if your Mobo's +12V wire has a .10V gap over your PCI-E wires, there is a chance that the wires that's going into the Mobo, could get melted in the process, This happened to me once on a very old MKII silencer I had, but it took the Dual Psu cable, the mobo was fine, now, on a dual psu setup, if the other psu is strictly powering the gpu and misc fans, should not be an issue, its the one that's powering the main gpu's and mobo, far as the .10V gap is concerned, please correct me if I am wrong here anyone.

I always had fans blowin' towards the Cables, one for the mobo, and 2 for the dual psu cable, to keep this minimized, so far, working excellent, always try to monitor your cables temps when doing a dual psu setup, just feel the cable if its getting hot or not or other device to use to monitor the temps.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  20. Volteron

Volteron Master Guru

GPU:
    2080ti sli
    Tried your settings and its working great for me, the flickering goes away quite fast like you said.

Kozary likes this.