know of any decent laptop cooling pads?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Johnny_702, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Johnny_702

Johnny_702 Master Guru

GPU:
    ge cube x800 pro 256mb
    Hey guys ive got a problem with my acer 5738g overheating and shutting down when I play certain games, i.e. company of heroes, supreme commander and bf2 etc.... I can play dawn of war and c&c generals ok but Im guessing its because they are easier to run.

I got the laptop in december and it was fine until a few months ago, Im not computer savy enough to open it up and mess around in it but i find it weird that the bottom vent where im gueesin the cpu would draw in air is coverd over.

anyways i found (Zalman ZM-NC1500-B Notebook Cooler) seemed to have good reviews but thought I would ask you guys :)

cheers

2. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    I bought one of these as a cheap addition to a laptop I bought for my Dad. I was suprised by how functional it actually was.

The best part about it is that both of the fans are very easily positioned wherever you need them (under exhaust fan or ram/cpu/etc..)

It's lightweight and sturdy, too.

(I ended up buying two more to cool another laptop and a ps3)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997730

3. Johnny_702

Johnny_702 Master Guru

GPU:
    ge cube x800 pro 256mb
    thanks for the reply. Had a look at that one, seems pretty good the way you can move them:). Just wondering if they blow air at the laptop or away from it?
    Was thinking that saying as my bottom vent is closed anyway will it really help? Ive got a vent on the front of the laptop facing me that sucks air in and one at the back blowing it out. Could always use one of the fans to blow at the hot air vent to help get rid of the hot air faster?

4. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    I don't think that you can put the fans in any design to help front intake - rear output (without modding that is).

All I do know is that my ps3 used to get hot on the bottom until I started using one of these and now it hardly gets warm to the touch. Both the laptops I've used them on will feel room temperature on the bottom when felt.

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    It would really just be faster and cheaper, and better for the laptop in the end, to get the parts manual, open it up and take out the dust that has undoubtedly collected in the heatsinks.

6. Johnny_702

Johnny_702 Master Guru

GPU:
    ge cube x800 pro 256mb
  7. Evele

Evele Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700 XT
    I bought the exact same one. No complaints at all.

8. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti
    Laptop coolers are decent but don't expect more than 5C difference, and it really depends how and where the laptop is drawing air from. You would get better results on undervolting the gpu/cpu, but its a little more risky on the gpu in laptops as most of the time you have to flash the vbios.

One thing you can do before buying a cooler is open it and clean the cooler with compress air, sometimes in laptops makes a huge difference.

9. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Probably would.

pc shops, no idea on the cost, £20 at most I would think, but they would void the warranty themselves anyway doing it

10. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    Get some compressed air(usually in computer stores you can get a can of it...), blow through the exhaust vent with it, you should see lots of dust coming out. That should fix your problem. ;)

A cooling pad/extra fans are not going to help if there is no airflow.

To make it easier, you can take off the back panel also. That should give you access to the fan/heatsink area you should be able to clean it from there.

*Taking apart a laptop, even just a back panel can cause damage if you are not careful, if you screw it up its not my fault.
    Though I have taken apart many laptops with no instructions or guides and have had no problems.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010

11. DR650SE

DR650SE Member

GPU:
    ATI 5870 X-Fire Mobility
    I'd go with compressed air first. Then for a cooler, I'm running a NZXT Cryo LX. Great cooler. Made for desk use. I would suggest replacing the thermal paste, but not if your not comfortable taking a laptop apart.

12. Johnny_702

Johnny_702 Master Guru

GPU:
    ge cube x800 pro 256mb
    Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated!