Klipsch Promedia Ultras vs. Logitech Z-5500

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Marri, Jun 27, 2006.

1. reactor88

reactor88 Active Member

GPU:
    2900 Pro 800/900
    whatever you decide to get spend time tweaking it and working them in with all kinds of styles of music and sounds. im big believer in breaking in speakers, but some people think its a myth.

my 251's which are my first 5.1 set, cost $100 about 2 years ago. i was dissappointed at first, but after playing with them for several weeks i got them sounding great.

as for which to get, the klipsch overall sound better, but id take the logitechs cause of the more powerful bass and then tweak the satellites til they sound good to your ears.

2. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROBSCIX :
    I must say I was quite surprised to learn of these other sound cards....My only concern would be its availability ...I wonder how much of a difference there is between Digital and analogue...but I do realise that they surly are something special...
    Are songs generally outputted in Stereo or 5.1 channels...

thanks...

reactor88: thanks I really do agree with you there....

3. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Songs are generally recorded in stereo. Sometimes you can get special songs encoded in more than two channels, but that isn't too common.

For speakers, they have modes where you can duplicate the sound over multiple speakers, which is what I do. That way, when I play stereo mp3s, I get sound out of every speaker. As a note, the Klipsch speakers are analog. Without a digital decoder or whatevre, they will not accept a digital connection. The Z5500's have digital. Doesn't make too much of a difference in actual percieved sound though.

4. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    I can onlyreally comment about the z5500's, so in that regard my point of view is kind of bias, but i think they are absolutly amazing speakers.
    When i turn on my system, i dont look forward to anything other than listening to music, whatching DVD's, and hearing bullets wizz by me. Unlike, for example, a new video card, my speakers never get boring for me!

They are a treat to the ears, and the X-fi i coupled with it has me doubting the "greatness" of optical sound. All i have to do is listen to a song or two, and i'm immediatly proud of what they can do.

5. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    I haven't tried Logitech's speakers but I have a pair of Klipsch's. They're the ProMedia 2.1 and cost me $180... though they came with my computer. :) I think the sound quality is amazing, especially the subwoofer. Though it is only a 2.1, it has a total of 200 watts of power.

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well eith digital your only using one cable, so it keeps clutter down. Guys who use digital say you can hear a difference. Can't comment on that myself. I would think it would be clearer though.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  7. reactor88

reactor88 Active Member

GPU:
    2900 Pro 800/900
    the main difference you hear with using digital is you dont get the hiss that analog has, the actually quality is about the same(to my ears).

8. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROBSCIX:Thanks , I guess getting the Clutter down on those Z5500's could really turn out to be a worth while move....since that's one of its major draw backs....(judging form what I've herd) like you said it could probably bering some change in quality , even though that doesn't necessarly mean it will suffice...

Royicus: thanks for mentioning it , I wasn't really sure about mp3s generally being in stereo till you actully cleared that one up..
    I'm guessing DVD audio CD's probably boast more channels...

Kon$olE:thanks alot for posting , I kinda like hearing for the two extreme corners....it helps me see things from the perspective of owning either product...thanks...
    btw what sound card were you using before the XFi....was it the Audigy 2 ZS , how much of a quality boost did you get from the XFi over the audigy...

SolidBladez: Your right about those 2.1's and 4.1's being really special for their range...I find it really weird that the 5.1's only get the credit....

reactor88:I guess losing the hiss....is the first thing I'd want to see from the Z5500's , since they hiss alot...well judging by the one I had atleast...
    The hiss ironically makes the speakers sound tweaterless...

Now I've realised just one other thing....getting the XFi for the time being till the X-Purity comes out , really might not be that bad an idea...

Well I really dont care about EAX (I always turn it off inexchange for performance ) but since songs play in stereo and the XFi is atleast compatible of giving Digital sound in stereo....I shouldn't really make a fuss...

thanks as always...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    If you had a hiss, some may be from the analog connections and the noise floor od the soundcard. I think what your hearing though is the noise floor of the speakers. You consider how powerful that amp is and you'll understand why there is a bit of hiss. If you switch to digital connection though I would imagine you would probably lose alot of the hiss. ALSO how are your levels set? see alot of guys keep their soundcards turned down loaw and their speakers turned high. This is WRONG!, what you want to do is turn the levels up as high as you can on the soundcard without clipping and then use the amp in the speakers to amplify that signal. when done this way the signal is very clean and clear as this method improves your Sound to Noise Ratio. So have a look at your mixer setting snad see how they are set. Hope that helps.

10. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROBSCIX : Yeah your right and ofcourse the information is helpful...as always :)

Thats what I do too , I keep the sound card to around 75% and set the speakers volume to a mediaocre level from the speakers volume control...

With the Klipsch , the speaker volume is set to a level which would help avoid breaking the sound even if I'd have the sound card volume turned up full...

thanks..

11. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Np mate, and yes i did have an audigy 2ZS before :)
    I didnt find the increase in quality to be huge, it was just enough to make a difference to my ears. What i did like alot more is the drivers. They seemed to me to be much more polished and profesional, and have tons of options.
    Gaming was were i heard the biggest change, things like explosions and gunshots just seemed to be richer and slightly more clear.

12. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    great to know....thanks for guiding me through your experience...

Well atleast its a tad bit better to have for a 5.1 setup... :)

thanks then again....

13. ciento44

ciento44 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus v9999 GE @444/1240 (16x1, 6vp)
    My vote is for the Promedias, for all the reasons that were already posted in this thread. :)

I've had experience with both, and the Logitechs did have punchier bass, but i also felt that it wasn't as true to what the music should have felt like. I also felt that, at least to me, they were slightly lacking in midrange. Granted, the Klipsch, to me as well, were also lacking a little bit, but such is the game of computer speakers. The deeper, richer bass, and overall crispness is what sold me on the Promedias. The frequency spectrum is smoother, without as many dead or standout spots as was on the Logitechs.

I can guarantee that either purchase will make you extremely happy, but for my tastes, i would much rather the Klipsch. The only advantage that the Logitech may have over the Klipsch would be in gaming. For music and movies, the Klipsch just have so much more depth and warmth, despite sporting horn-loaded tweeters.

Hope that helps in the decision a little, and that i wasn't too late. :)

14. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    thanks alot for your feed..

lol...you weren't late...
    I've blown up my cash this month...I'm empty..
    But I will buy one of those two...that I can assure you...

I'll also have to check the deals I get...last I herd Logitech's didn't come with warrenty here...and the Klipsch do..

I returned my Logitech's forcefully...I had to be extreamly rude to the guy and pushy...lol
    But he was a bastard....His face turnd red...but he knew he'd get beat up pretty bad if he'd play ''Mr no I cant do''

I felt bad but after realising he tried to rip me off...I think I was actully nice to him...

I'm extreamly greatful of the fact that this threads has had really nice people show up to post...

15. thesmack420

thesmack420 Member

GPU:
    AMD 6970 2GB
    Well, I have 2 cents to put in....

I have the 5500 Digitals....and well...I really like them....

What made the difference for me was the X-fi soundcard. With the Audigy 2 ZS I had before the sub overpowered and the highs were not as good. Well the X-fi crystalizer changed all that...when adjusted properly the X-fi can really fix any holes in you sound spectrum...

I was shocked....my highs and mids got so much better...and the sub was still as loud and powerful...

The digital connections are also very useful...I have Xbox 360 and PS2 both hooked through the optical connection (sounds awesome).

Also to keep in mind 5.1 EAX does not work through optical connection...only mini plugs...thats my only problem with the X-fi....other than that the combo of X-fi and Z5500 is great!

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I think you mean 5.1 surround sound doesn't work with a digital connection. Optical or Coaxial. The only time it will is when your watching a DVD and yor player software has appropriate sound codecs that can do the work...Other than that the X-fi is STEREO when connected up with a digital connection.