Klipsch Promedia 5.1 or Logitec z5300e

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by WolfPup, Jan 2, 2005.

1. WolfPup

WolfPup Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 OC (12/5) extra pipes don't work.
    which do you prefer, Klipsch Promedia 5.1 or Logitec z5300e?

Or something different.

2. lilbump3000

lilbump3000 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB DDR Ram
    Even though im a big fan of logitech i would go with the klipsch promedia 5.1 ultras. They have more power than the Z5300e and claim to sound better than the logitechs.

Now i have the logitech Z-680's and love them.

The only reason why i didnt go for a klipsch promedia set is because i was a little iffy about the promedia subwoofers.

Ok the promedia sub is rated at 170watts. I dont know if thats total brust power the sub can do or if thats 170watts RMS. But anyway to get to my point the promedias have 2, 8 inch subs thats 170watts which means both of them subs is only pushing out 85watts RMS to get to 170watts RMS and if that 170watts is not the rms power that means that both of them subs is pushing out watts thats below 85watts each. But im sure that the sub is 170watts RMS.

So thats why i went with the Z-680's because its a single driver and rated at 188watts rms. Even though the logitech subs may be boomer than the klipsch, i think that the logitech subs are stronger and powerful than 2, 8 inch subs that only pushes out 85watts each vs. 1, 8 inch sub that can push 188watts.

Now the logitech Z-5300e sub is only rated at 100watts rms.

The best i can tell you is to go to your local retail and here them both and see which one you like because on here you going to get the klipsch fans going for klipsch and the logitech fans going for logitech. So what i suggest is you go to a store and listen to them both then pick.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  3. ken.l

ken.l Master Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek 4870
    I have klipsch promedia 5.1 and love them it is no joke that thay can knock pitchers off the wall and get the cops called on you from neighbors 2 houses down. But I think the logitech are better built. I have only heard them in the store so I cant give a sound quality input.

4. WolfPup

WolfPup Master Guru

GPU:
    I listened to both at the store, switching between the two of them, but it was hard to tell anything because the speakers were grouped together and there was a lot of background noise in the store.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005

5. Coolppl

Coolppl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForceFX 5600 VIVO 128MB
    Kilpsch Promedia 5.1's

Cause Logitec mainly focuses on making their subwoofers boomier and better but lack clarity which is why the Creative Inspires are able to pwn them

But Kilpsch speakers have the clarity and bass :D

6. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 470
    Klipsch Promedia 5.1.

Oh, and prepare to see the neighbors lose their sanity :p

7. WolfPup

WolfPup Master Guru

GPU:
    does the volume knob control the headphone jack on the Klipsch 5.1? if so does it cut out the speakers, allowing them to be silent so I wont wake up people when I game at night?

here's the other thing, semi related to this topic....

does anyone use headphones when gaming? I'd like to get better headphones than the ones I have. I'm looking at the Audio Technica a900 but can't find any around here that I can actually listen to. Sennheiser HD600 are great but too pricey for me, and the models lower than them aren't as good as the AT a900 (from what I've read elsewhere)

I just tried one of my headphones on my receiver in the living room and theys ounds way better than when they are connected to my audigy 2. I then tried a small headphone amp of my friends connected to the audigy and the headphones, and it sounded like when I had them hooked up to the receiver. they aren't great headphones, but the difference in sound was definately noticable.

If this seems to be the case, then I could get a receiver and speakers that are pretty good for 350, instead of the klipsch 5.1, and this way I'd have the headphone jack and amp for when I get better headphones... not to mention an actual home theater receiver instead of just very good pc speakers.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  8. ken.l

ken.l Master Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek 4870
    yes if press the button to switch between headphones and speakers.

9. WolfPup

WolfPup Master Guru

GPU:
    ---------

10. WolfPup

WolfPup Master Guru

GPU:
    thanks. do you think it's like an amp for the headphones also? not just a pass through with a gain control.

11. ken.l

ken.l Master Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek 4870
    I think its just a pass through but with the gain control and system volume control you could blow your headphones if you crank them both to max.

12. WolfPup

WolfPup Master Guru

GPU:
    true. I just think the output on the audigy is small. not enough to drive the headphones to their potential.

13. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    I have yet to turn the Promedia's over 50ish (out of 80), they're loud.
    They're also very accurate. The sub is not boomy at all and is very accurate. In fact, its the best sub I've seen in a Multimedia system. Its the centerpiece of the system. It also weighs 50-60lbs and is as big as a short nightsand, so make sure you got space, incl space around for ventilation and such.
    I miss em.

14. Meta|Gear

Meta|Gear Pretty Hate Machine

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Dual-X 3L
    lol comparing the Klipsch 5.1 to the z5300e's is like comparing a porsche to a dodge neon, get the klipsch. If you were thinking of getting the Z-5500's thats another story...

15. WolfPup

WolfPup Master Guru

GPU:
    ok. I think the z5300's are out of the question. It's either the klipsch or a seperate digital receiver/amp and some good speakers. I still gotta look at the headphone issue and then I can make a call on the receiver/apm or the klipsch. so far I think it's 50-50 until i can actually hear the headphones amped and not amped. if they're fine not amped, then i'm going with the klipsch.

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well you were speaking of having headphones directly to the soundcard...The outputs on the sound card are whats called Line-Level, which means it conforms to a certain voltage/amperage level thats a standard..so you can patch you sound card to or from home entertainment equipment.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  17. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    z5300e is no match for the promedia 5.1. how about the z5500? I think they're both at the same price. ain't them?

18. saveth

saveth Member

GPU:
    Asus 6800GT 16x6 420/800
    the z-5500 is a better comparison than the 5300e. The z-5500 is logictechs improvement to the z-680s. They addressed most of the problems that the z680s had. I myself is in the market of looking for speakers and so far ive decided to go with the z-5500 since they look amazing and the sound quality is supposed to be very good.

19. WolfPup

WolfPup Master Guru

GPU:
    I think i'm going to abandon both of these entirely.

I'm probably going to have teh audigy2 set to digital out -> digital receiver-> 5.1 speaker system.

I figure this is the best bang for the buck and it can handle all sorts of things better than the soundcard alone. I understand the klipsch are great and all, but in my opinion are limited compared to a home theater receiver. at $300+ for the klipsch, I can probably do better with a receiver and some good speakers for about the same price, maybe a little more. the receiver just has more options, and upgradability at that price.

20. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    WolfPup, as a suggestion. The ProMedia's are all expensive because they are also used in the Home Theatre department for Klipsch as well. The ProMedia 5.1's are more than worth it, and they are a very very nice price. Take them, they will please.