KFA2 3090 fan incessantly spinning up - help!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Danny_G13, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    KF2 3090 SG
    KFA2 still haven't updated me with a better BIOS, so I can't use this thing till it's fixed.

What BIOS would be best for my card in the meantime? Fundentally I want full control over the fans and at the moment I far from have that.

And I ask that of anyone kind enough to help out.

2. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    KF2 3090 SG
    KFA2 got back to me - they said this is standard behaviour on all 3090s that the fans spin up after 40W. I kind of already knew this.

But they offer no fan control solution to control that. Using the MSIA curve does nothing because that's temperature based, is there any app anyone uses that allows fan curve adjustment based on wattage and not temperature.

3. Alias1986

Alias1986 New Member

GPU:
    Did you ever figure out how to fix this? Just got this card and its driving me nuts. I changed power management mode to "Adaptive" in the NVidia control panel but that's the only potential fix I've seen out side of flashing another manufacturers bios. Palit fixed the issue in their latest bios, so surely KFA2 can?

4. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    Your doing something wrong then.. it only does what you tell it to do. You probably screwed with something not knowing what your doing. The fault isn't MSI Afterburner it works just fine!

[​IMG]

Mda400 likes this.

5. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    so how can you screw up a fan profile thats set to shutdown below 45 deg c when it doesnt shutdown even at 30 deg c? the fans still run

6. SDEagle

SDEagle New Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 SLI
    Hi, I did few trials on my card, and the following combinations helped control my fans to shut down (0%) after whatever the lower point I set in AB. I believe Nvidia drivers are also playing a big role here too.
    • Latest driver 457.30 + AB 4.6.2 stable version
    • Older driver 456.71 + AB 4.6.3 Beta 3 version
    As I said, based on my personal experience, I don't have any issues with either of the above combos. Hope it helps you too.

Check out this thread below here where Unwinder explains this issue and also a link for 4.6.3 Beta 3 version. Good luck!
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rtss-6-7-0-beta-1.412822/page-131

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

No need to invite that weird person to RTSS development thread please. I do not need such smart statements there.

8. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Your calling me weird?
    Nice and you a Mod as well hmm.
    I initially said I was having issues with the program, it didn't work, it still doesn't all I did was set up a fan profile to allow the fan to stay cooler ie increased the maximum fan speed at 65 deg c and increased the ramp up speed no OC no voltage increase etc, however the temp levels/steps were the same as default just increased fan RPM, on my 2070 the fans ran constantly even below the switch off point, I changed the Drivers I followed all the advice but guess what it still doesnt work, in fact even when I uninstalled the program the fans were still running the same, I had to use DDU and reinstall the driver the default behaviour was restored, my comment stands it didnt work for me, if you cant accept that fine, I really dont care less, what I do find irritating is your insistence that its my fault, go swallow a chill pill and accept its not a perfect world and not everything always works as it should even your program/s.
    To reiterate I set a manual Fan curve/profile as you would do with a motherboard etc and the fans ran constantly for some reason it seems to disable the fan shut down option, before you ask yes the gaps in the profiles were wide enough that the speed was a gradual step and not a ramp up because the next step as close, Card is a gbyte Windforce bought at release.

9. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Weird is not a correct term. PEBCAK is more appropriate one. No need to steal my time proving that my apps are broken. You’re not my user. I develop it for people able to think, you’re not one of them. Leave it for the rest understanding how the system works and use something different please.
    And I’d absolutely love to see my mod rights removed to be able to call aggressively uneducated lamer an aggressively uneducated lamer.

10. Kmailla

Kmailla Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 SG
    Hi friends ;)
    I came across this forum desperately looking for a solution to my fan problem on my brand new K2FA RTX 3090 SG
    Just like you, a web use of my pc, and even sometimes the screen turns off without using it, the fans turn on for 2min then turn off, then turn on and then turn off continuously, it's just horrible. For a card at 1750 € it's shame ... o_O:(
    I need your help, to find a solution with you, the software speedfan, MSI afterburner, Xtrem tuner, ASUS etc does not change anything
    In my opinion, the last solution will be a bios flash ?!:) But which one?

I have 94.02.26.C0.34 version

11. Kmailla

Kmailla Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 SG
    Hi,
    No one has a solution yet?
    Do you know if it is possible to modify the bios ourselves or to use a bios from an ASUS card for example which has already fixed this problem on its 3090 models?

12. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    You can't modify the BIOS, or rather use a modified one. However, you may be able to use a BIOS from a different card (it isn't too much a risk if your card has dual BIOS, but if it doesn't, I'd think hard about trying it or at least get some information on which BIOS has worked for other users with your card). Note that your fans will only spin as high or low as the BIOS you're flashing to allow them to (for example, if I flash my Strix with the EVGA Kingpin BIOS, the middle fan won't spin as fast as it would on the default Strix BIOS and the other two fans won't ever shut off as the Kingpin uses different fans). It may or may not be enough for 0db mode to work.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  13. Kmailla

Kmailla Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 SG
    Good evening
    Thank you for your answer, I will wait for an update, I contacted KFA2 to explain the absurdity of the problem to them ... I am waiting for a bios update, it is just not possible for a card with this price. How do I know if my card has two bios ?

Here is KFA2's response :mad::mad::mad: :

Its juste a joke ... :eek:

14. Kmailla

Kmailla Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 SG
    HI !

I received a response from KFA2
    I'm a newbie, do you think I can revert to the original bios whenever I want if I apply their update ?

Here are the answers :

15. Kmailla

Kmailla Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 SG
    Hello,

Yesterday I tested version 370W 94.02.26.C0.2E, in office use the activation of the fans every two minutes does not change, but in games (Warzone Ultra in 5K) The fans make less noise than version 94.02.26.C0.34 (TGP 390W) :D
    There is progress

16. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Wow so if am understanding this correctly the supplier of the card has given you an alternative Bios to use but has stated if you use it you will void your warranty? is that even legal? so to put it into perspective if you get a faulty card issue in a few months you now have zero comeback as you installed a KFA2 supplied Bios, remind me never to give them any of my Money

17. Kmailla

Kmailla Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 SG
    It's exactly, but they give me the original bios to reflash over it :)
    Don't panic, if my card brake, they will no longer be able to check the status of the bios when I send them under warranty that's for sure, beacause i burn it before, count on me ! :)

18. mikehcl

mikehcl New Member

GPU:
    KFA2 3090 24GB
    Hi, I had the same problem with my KFA2 3090, I contacted KFA technical support and they sent me an email with a file to be executed to update the bios, here is the email:

Dear Customer,

Sorry for keep you waiting.

Update Bios method:

Run VAPF130SC_3090_X64.exe file after decompression under win10 64-bit system.

After the update is completed, the system will automatically restart once.

Update:
    I just ran the file they sent me and now my video card fans don't boot and shut down like before, so problem solved!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  19. Grizli

Grizli New Member

GPU:
    RTX3090

I have the same graphic card and problem with fans, could You please share the new bios, which KFA2 have sent You???

20. Kmailla

Kmailla Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 SG
    Hey mikehcl

Could You please share the new bios ??? :):):)