Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by zero_cool, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    If you mean economic performance, yes. This is just one more sign of how Intel didn't really bother to design anything new and just kept releasing the same old stuff under a new label while making manufacturing cheaper with process development. Sure, they added things like new sata and usb versions, but that's pretty much it. So, if there was a critical bug present years ago, it's still present tomorrow many pseudo-generations later. They didn't even bother to add more cores before AMD kicked them in the butt, but at least they also managed to get profit out of that by releasing two mutually incompatible chipset in a single year.

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    So out of Specter vulnerabilities #1 affects AMD and that would seem to be simple configuration fix on Linux. And that is about it for AMD on these issues.

chispy, Embra and Evildead666 like this.
  3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Just found that one for Windows 7, also want to know if thats the one :p

I think it is, just want to make sure before i install.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    swISS likes this.
  4. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    rich, it lists kernel/SMB security fix, which lines up with the win10 patch notation - & kernel patches are very rare. im fairly certain thats the one.

swISS and Rich_Guy like this.

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Thanks, i just have another problem now, this :-

i use Aviras free Anti-Virus, which has had an update today, and Windows Defender, which hasn't had another update yet. :p

EDIT:

An Avira update is coming.

[​IMG]

swISS likes this.
  6. swISS

swISS Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX980 Ti
    Yep, I'm 95% positive it's the right patch for Win 7/8. I installed it just to be on the safe side, haven't witnessed any issues so far today. Cinebench scored the same as previous, so that's fine.

Rich_Guy likes this.
  7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah i'll be installing once i find out Aviras AntiVir has been updated. :)

swISS likes this.
  8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    I have just finished a whole bunch of testing before installing windows patch and after. Gaming performance still the same , gpu benchmarks and cpu looks about the same but here come the big but ... I did noticed a big performance hit on my SSD writes and to a lesser extent reads too are affected. Anything IO demanding workload related seems it's going to be affected one way or another :(. Cleaned W10 , ran optimized tool , trimmed and same settings as always my Crucial MX300 1TB SSD it is performing much slower than before the patch :/ . Tested with Cristal Disk Bench , AS SSD , ATTO and Anvil. Those are my findings so far.

9. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    That will be the Big problem on servers side,I/O queries.Sql db on cloud servers,financial servers,general enterprise markets,will a real problem for Intel based servers.

chispy likes this.
  10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Exactly , what a mess this will be for those huge datacenters

Turanis likes this.

11. Sergio

Sergio Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 760 DirectCU II OC
  12. swISS

swISS Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX980 Ti
  13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Gaming is mostly what i care about, along with my GPU/CPU performance, but out curioustiy what was the hits too your SSD? my samung 830 128GB does about 544mb read 313mb write with test i did when I first set this pc up, and todays test with out said patch did 535/306 and under sata II with my old i7 920 it did 255/200, I never really seen speed difference between the 2 setup atlest not with the daily function of OS, or are you talking hits much much worse then sata II speeds?

Either way none this sound like Intel is gona gona be in good mood, less the can find way to fix this with out these hits. wont help there bottomline either

14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    :eek: " Intel's CEO reportedly sold shares after the company already knew about massive security flaws
    Intel CEO Brian Krzanich sold off a large chunk of his stake in the company after the chipmaker was made aware of serious security flaws, according to multiple reports
    An SEC filing last November showed Krzanich sold off about 644,000 shares by exercising his options and another roughly 245,700 shares he already owned "

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/04/int...lready-knew-about-massive-security-flaws.html

Dejavu Equifax leak anyone ? :p , running for the hills now while they can ...

15. Sergio

Sergio Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 760 DirectCU II OC
    swISS likes this.

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Here my friend , last post 1575 - https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/t...-tweaking-cooling.412876/page-79#post-5507285

17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Oh yeah, Krzanich is most likely going down. He will probably face charges for insider trading and be forced to step down in disgrace.

There will also definitely be a lawsuit or two over this. Their customers and investors deserve to know when they knew about this issue and what they did about it. I'm guessing that Intel hoped this issue would never come to light and that it would silently be patched - hopefully without a big performance impact.

chispy likes this.
  18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
  19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    I smell lawsuits too. Heads at Intel are going to roll ...

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well Aviras just updated to v15.0.34.17 from .16, but can't find a changelog yet, so not sure if its whats needed for it.

All ive got in the Events info, for whats been updated, is this.