Kerbal Space Program

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Ralph, Dec 11, 2012.

1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    I used to use Mechjeb, back in the early days it was a real god send when I wasn't able to align orbits for intercepts and I used to be crap at docking so it used to really help there.

Thing is it is a bit hit and miss, it gives you loads of info that if used correctly can help with transfer windows it means you can still fly purely by hand but it gives you the info to do it as fuel effeciently as possible.

It can also be a real god send if you need to land in a specific spot on a planet, I can currently land on a specific point but I can;t do it without having to do additional positioning burns while in orbit, mech jeb for the most part can calculate the reentry deburn and get you to the point you need to be with only a few well timed burns.

Where it does fall down is in docking and landing. IT tends to spaz out a bit when docking, ends up taking 5 times as long and using way way more RCS than you should need to and yes while I said it can do pin point landings on planets for every landing it gets right it will more often get it wrong, either not deburning at all or plain crashing in to the ground at way to high a speed.

I ended up ditching it because I learned how to use the markers on the nav ball to quickly dock correctly, I learned how to do and align hohmann transfers and that's all I needed it for.

Oh and a quick update on Project Unity:

The projects been delayed, it is next to impossible for me to land on Eeloo at the moment due purely to frame rate issues, the complete base is near 800 parts and with an FPS of 3 on re entry it is impossible for me to do the needed maneuvers to get the base on to the ground.

I am currently re designing the base to be as functional but with fewer parts (managed to cut some 250 parts so far)

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Thanks for the info on mechjab. Is there a mod that actually takes into effect the re-entry through the atmosphere ie: the visual burning effect?

What mods do you recommend and why?
    Cheers

3. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    That's default in the game

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yes its default but it does not do anything. When re-entering the atmosphere if the angle is too high then the spacecraft can disintegrate and the astronaut killed from this. I was wondering if there was a mod that does something similar to this ie: Making sure your angle on re-entry through the atmosphere is correct otherwise your craft disintegrates. Even if the craft does not disintegrate the extreme G force being pulled while coming through atmosphere can kill the pilot even if it dont kill the ship.

Coming through the atmosphere skimming across it like a stone across water while slowly descending is the correct way.

Coming through the atmosphere head on is the incorrect way, will cause massive amount of heat (disintegration) and the negative G's would probably kill the astronaut.

There has to be some sort of mod, ill have to find it hopefully.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

5. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Yeah in KSP as it is you can do whatever you want on re entry and get away with it, you don't even require a heat shield. The only things affected at present are deployed solar panels.

Veteran their is a mod for what you're looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiV0xgKpapU

It's called Deadly reentry, I haven't used it myself so can't comment on how good it is but the comments in the video above seem to be generally good.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Thankyou very much! Super!

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Managed to get into Orbit around Kerbal and the Mun successfully while playing career mode. Next step is landing on Mun, have already built my Rocket, gonna try later.

Only mods im using Deadly re-entry.

One thing that pisses me off is when your setting up an encounter with another planet or moon, sometimes the ring that move and change on the map screen is highly elevated and its hard to bring it down and level to were you want to make an encounter. Anybody have any tips on how to increase or decrease the elevation without pressing all the buttons through trial and error?

8. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    You're having the same issue I had when I first started. I can't remember how I worked out what to do, it just seemed to come to me one day after having had a break from KSP but hopefully this video will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVjwIdCC3SM&feature=youtu.be

First the issue you are having is that encounters are far easier if you and your targets orbital angle match, this should be the first move you want to make. The video shows an intercept with another object in orbit but the principle is the same for ships, stations as well as other planets and moons.

Okay the manoeuvre I am doing is to create an encounter between Demo Craft (The ship I am in control of) and Kerbin Probe.

00:01 I select the target I want to intercept
    00:04 I check the DN node

The DN and AN nodes give a degree value by which my orbit differs to that of my target, in this case it is +6.3 degrees. Want I want to do know is create a manoeuvre node at the this point (as it's the closest to my craft)

00:07 The purple triangles at the top and bottom of the manoeuvre node can be used to adjust the orbital angle relative to my target. What I want to do is get it so that it reads 0. I stop the adjustment every now and then to check how close I am.

00:27 As AN reaches zero the node starts to move around the planet. I check the opposite DN node simply because it is closest and isn't obscured by the planet any more either of these should read zero or as close as possible to zero.

00:40 I move my craft to align it to the manoeuvre node, notice the navball at the bottom of the screen moving. The objective is to get the indicator that looks like a blue dot surrounded by 3 Ts in the middle of the Navball. I complete the turn at 00:46

00:48 I am circling the Delta V indicator with my cursor (to the right of the Navball). This shows how much I need to burn to adjust my orbital angle. Lucky for me my craft is literally on top of the manoeuvre node as I complete my turn, I throttle up and the Delta V value starts to drop

1:08 Now you can do two things here, you can keep going till the Delta V value next to the Navball reaches zero or you can do what I did which is delete the manoeuvre node and place the cursor directly over either the AN or DN nodes and monitor them directly. As long as your craft is stable and doesn't and you're good with the throttle this gives a more accurate adjustment as you can stop when either AN or DN reaches zero.

1:30 Turns out my calculations were a bit off (errors in burn time, burn position general making an arse of things can cause this.) It happens more often in small burns like this but in longer inter planetary burns precise accuracy isn't quite as big a thing.

1:39 Since I over shot I create another manoeuvre node and do the adjustments needed to align my orbital angle. As you can see I use the purple triangles again to adjust my orbital angle (These always work best as long as they are used on manoeuvre nodes created at the AN and DN points)

1:50 I move my craft again to match the manoeuvre node (blue dot surrounded by 3Ts on the navball

2:04 notice how much smaller the Delta V burn is this time

2:08 I fast forward to move my craft to the manoeuvre node

2:13 I start the final orbital alignment burn

2:19 Again I delete the manoeuvre node and opt to monitor the AN and DN nodes directly until the reach zero at 2:22

Now that the orbital angles are aligned you can adjust your orbital period. Start by creating a manoeuvre node at either the PE or AP point (Perapisis or Apoapsis). You want to increase your orbit until your orbital path crosses and meets that of your target.

In this case I happened to get lucky as my PE point happened to meet the orbit of my target without me needing to do any further adjustments. Once you have an intercept point you want to use this point to create a manoeuvre node that will give you as close an intercept to your target as possible.

Best bet is to fast forward until your target is as close as possible and then create and adjust the node to get the best / most fuel saving manoeuvre possible.

2:44 I use the yellow circles on the manoeuvre node to adjust my orbital period to create the best intercept. You may notice the purple and orange indicators on the orbit indicator spinning as I increase my orbital period. One points up and one point down they represent my closest orbital approach vs my target and the objective is to get them as close to each other as possible.

2:56 I opt to use the purple indicators notice how they are slowly but surely moving towards each other as I adjust the manoeuvre node?

3:01 that's the two as close as I can get them for now, so I hover over them to show that if I complete the manoeuvre on my next orbit I will be 2.0Km from my target at this point.

3:11 small adjustment to get them closer, 0.4Km now that's pretty damn close

3:20 I manoeuvre my craft towards the node

3:31 174.3 Delta V needed to complete the move and I fast forward towards the manoeuvre node

3:40 I start the burn

4:14 I delete the manoeuvre node and check the closest approach nodes, seems I over shot.

4:18 I create another manoeuvre node just in front of the craft. Again trying to the get the two purple indicators to line up as close as possible. In this case the result is a tiny Delta V which I opt to use RCS to complete.

The principles are pretty much the same for all encounters.

Hope it helps

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    What a post! much appreciated. Yeah i found that my speed was too high to get the angle that i wanted on the map regarding an encounter. Its still tricky to get it exactly how you want sometimes.

Ive been playing this game constantly, its a nice change and is challenging in many ways, im having good fun with it.

I landed on the mun but a kerbal is standed there, building a ship now to rescue hopefully.

Have you managed to land on Eve and make it back without any mods?

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  10. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Yup, but it's the one mission I didn't take any pictures of.

I use the same basic main drive design for all my missions. This one had a payload comprising of seven self contained probes designed to gather science in Jool and it's several moons.

[​IMG]

I can't remember the names of the parts but the main drive is provided by 6 x nuclear engines. The upshot is that it gives enough fuel to get anywhere in the Kerbel System and back, except for Eeloo. It can get there but only has enough fuel left over to get half way back. (The new super large tanks may get a bit further I haven't done a there and back trial with one yet)

The manned mission to Eeloo I sent 3 of these drive modules to Eeloo two with fuel tanks as pay loads and one as a central base. I then built a refuelling station in Eeloo orbit.

[​IMG]

The manned mission then used this to refuel after they had completed their landing before returning to Kerbin.

[​IMG]

The flag planted on Eeloo.

11. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    .24 is out!

And

64Bit Windows version now!

12. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Thanks ive been wondering when it was coming out thought it got pushed back.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I wonder if I will be able to finish my 1000 part space plane now...

*nerviously laughs*

Haven't played for ages... 64bit will be interesting..

14. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    I got into repainting today and decided to make myself a logo from scratch to slap on suits and ship parts.

[​IMG]

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah this game has some new things added. Like specific mission assignments. Definitely will be going back to this once the summer comes to a close.

16. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    This game still is in my backlog.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
  18. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Thought I would bring this post back from the dead. Why? well KSP is now officially out of Early Access and has gone to v1.0, the game is now in Beta. With the V1.0 comes a number of rather larger new updates including

- Female Kerbels
    - A new aero dynamics model
    - Resource collection
    - Heat shields and re-entry heat modelling
    - Procedural Fairings

A quick link to their forum post which gives all the details

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/336-KSP-1-0-is-Released

Truly ironic thing, not had a chance to check out the new Beta version as I am currently in the middle of an Interstellar, strive for lightspeed mission and don;t want to risk breaking my save games with all the mods I'am using.

Here's a pic of Light Finder, a multi function station I just finished building in low Kerbin Orbit, why post this, yeah just to show off ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  19. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Really liking the improvements in KSP 1.0 though I'm still terrible at orbital transitions/encounters ;p

Can't wait for the mods to catch up!

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    http://www.pcinvasion.com/kerbal-space-program-devs-quit