Kepler Drivers: Nvidia, stop that 70C "throttling" Nonsense please

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by flexy, Apr 26, 2013.

1. JLevi

JLevi Member

GPU:
    Nope
    Hello there,

why do these values have to be different? What errors are we talking about? :)

Shouldn't it be more stable to set the Boost Clock and Boost Limit to the same values?

2. johnmambo

johnmambo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX980
    Are you guys saying that my 770 slows down at 70c ??? Really ?

3. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Not if you increase power target.

4. johnmambo

johnmambo Master Guru

GPU:
    So i need to get my power target to max to didnt get slowed down ?

5. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Keep it under 70 degrees.

6. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 980 Ti
    What exactly happens when the GPU throttles ?
    Do you get worse FPS ?
    There was a stutter issue at the start of the release of the 680, but after they fixed this.
    I never had any problems with my card.

7. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Max power target is not needed from what I've experienced.At least half way up the slider.With my cards they don't throttle even up to 87c with the power slider at 122%.At 100% they start throttling at 68c.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    voltage goes down 1 step and the gpu throttles 13mh at 70c ish and again at 80c, most I have seen was 75c on my cards. you can test this lowering your fan speed and using msi afterburner on screen

9. johnmambo

johnmambo Master Guru

GPU:
    Yea guys i can confirm the throttling. Last night i got my power limit to 110% and made a custom fan curve on Afterburner so my card dont even reach 65c. Result: Better score on Valley bench on Extreme HD.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    The 770 (and 780?) has boost 2. Aside from the power target theres a temp target for the 770 that you can move the slider as well. So even if it goes above 70 it should not throttle.

11. Dymblos

Dymblos Member

GPU:
    GTX570
    This apply to amd video card? i mean if amd have something like this

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Buy a Classified or Lightning card and you wont have to worry about thermal throttling. :cool:

13. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080Ti
    I did a BIOS mod on both of my GTX680s so it just sticks at 1189Mhz all the time for boost clocks... I never see my cards exceed 70C anyway.

I originally tried for 1215Mhz but I would sometimes get display driver crashes at that clockspeed... I think one of my GPUs kinda sucks for overclocking. I guess I could try to RMA the card but I'm fine with performance at 1189Mhz anyway.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Stop buy GPU with those terrible, Blower style fans. This the sole reason why I wont by reference cards they are **** for keeping cards cool

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I agree. Even more so since Kepler due to the throttle issue.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Those Blower style setup are the solo reason I wont buy reference Fan gpu anymore ,And the main reason why the evga 670 FTW I had went back (it couldnt keep the card under 70c under 50% load with out sounding like jet taking off, Mean while this evga 660gtx FTW stay well under 65c under full load with out being loud) And even if I did want to buy one of the terrible blower setups 70c is to hot for GPU anyway, I would have **** fit if my CPU ran that hot under any load, I would never let my GPU run that hot either. ( yes they able to run at 80+c and not really be bother by it other then the whole they throttle at 70c now) But seriously 70c is to hot.

17. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 OC
    The reason I buy GPU's with stock coolers is so that the inside of my Fractal R4 doesnt get too hot. I prefer not have an overclockable GPU than have a hot computer case.

I have a stock GTX680 and no matter what game I throw at it it never goes above 70c even when its pushed to 90%and its very quiet all the time

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  18. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 980Ti SLI
    For those who like to SLI Nvidia cards those reference cards are nice for using an external exhaust out the back of the pc case rather than dumping air into the case or onto the other card.

Reference fans do have their uses. Besides you can probably just mod the bios to prevent throttling.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    you must have super "airflow" in your case and or live in a really cold place/use water cooling, cause all them blower style fan setup are bad at cooling worse at the nosie ratio.

20. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 OC
    I only have a Fractal Design R4 with 2 x 140MM fans in the front of the case , I removed the top HDD cage and I live in Ireland. I monitor the temperautre of my GPU all the time and the fan is quiet and the GPU never goes above 70C even at 90% load. Also I have a corsair H50 with 2 x Corsair SP120 quiet fans and the radiator on the back of the case where the 140MM case fan was but I moved it to the front of the case to help cool my GPU and to help with airflow. I didn't downclock or overclock my GPU either and I didnt touch the voltage. I never hear the fan from my GTX680 and it always hits 70% at its highest.