Kena Bridge of Spirits

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Fallen Order had problems with texture streaming even on consoles. From textures not loading, to stutter, it had several technical issues.
    It was a poorly optimized game on all platforms, be it PC or consoles. So it's not a good example.

But yes, UE has had problems with stuttering and hitching for many years. I remember these issues at least since UE3.
    It's weird that Epic never addressed this issue in a more serious manner.
    Be it with better tools for devs to optimize the game, or improving the streaming system.

2. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Gears of War doesn't stutter but then again it's a heavily modified UE.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  3. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    True. That's one of the best optimized UE4 games.
    Wish more companies would do the same for their games.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  4. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Hey Gurus. Give it another go. Those stutters that are mentioned I definitely remember seeing and feeling when I first loaded this game months ago. Because of this I put Kena in my backlog and finished other titles. I decided to fire this up again due to a conversation with another gamer. I'm using the 497.09 driver with Gsync and Vsync enabled. I'm using an Oled Tv as my monitor set at 4k120hz. My PC specs are in my profile.

On rare occasion I found that even though I have both syncs enabled, I still witness a slight blurred "double like" image when scrolling in 360 motion in Kena. I immediately exited the title and reselect 4k@120hz in the NCP. Gsync and Vsync on. Adjust Desktop Size and Position is set to Aspect ratio with 4K@120Hz. I double verify in Windows to ensure that that resolution and Hz are matched under Display then Advanced Display Settings. Sometimes they don't match. On my Oleds I've witnessed 120hz in the NCP but 119.80 or 119.98 in Windows. I've also witnessed my desktop resolution will state 3840x2160 but the active resolution will state 4096x2160. This is on the LGC9, CX formerly and now C1.

I make sure that everything matches. The NCP and Windows are in unison. Resolution for resolution and Hz for Hz. I went back into Kena and my gameplay is butter smooth. No blurred image when scrolling or tearing. No stuttering like before. I do understand the woes of the Unreal Engine through experience. I've read many of you guys post and watched your videos. This is a troubleshooting task that worked for me. Doublecheck these settings and report your findings when you can. I would love to share information.

Thanks Gurus.

5. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    I just tested Village Center, Gorge and Forgotten Forest. The game is playing very well. I forgot to mention in my previous post that I will see some stutter when I enable the "Big Space Ghost Rat" or whatever it's called LOL! When I guide it or follow it around, I see a tad stutter but then it's smooth again when I use it for attacks.

Ok Gurus. Tech talk soon.

6. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Gears of War with Hivebusters runs like a dream. I agree with you both. I too wish more companies did the same type of implementation.

7. bobnewels

bobnewels Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    OK thank you

8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Finished this game last night. Nice little peaceful game. Enjoyed it. That last boss fight needed some optimizations though, game stuttered and briefly went to 37fps and back to 60 whenever the boss would do a certain power move. But I hope this developer was successful with this and can make more ip's. It was kind of a mix of a lot of stuff we've seen before but yet still felt fresh given just about everything these days involves using a gun (unless it's on switch).

9. oscare30

oscare30 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Just started playing this....when moving into certain areas in a level the game will stutter/hitch for a couple of seconds and then I get a SAVING.... prompt in the upper left corner. Its not game breaking. Just...kind of annoying especially if your trying to enjoy the incredible graphics!

Is this normal for this game? Anybody lese experience this?

Thanks!

10. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    The game is releasing on Steam, and adding with new features.

Steam Page

• "New Game+, which will allow players who’ve completed the game to restart Kena’s journey with all of their previously unlocked abilities, upgrades, outfits, Rot, etc and take on redesigned and more challenging combat encounters."
    • "Charmstones that are individually equipable - these unique collectibles each provide different adjustments to Kena’s stats and abilities."
    • "New game mode called the Spirit Guide Trials, challenging players’ skills with a variety of replayable challenges across three different categories; Obstacle Courses, Wave Defenses, and Boss Reflects."
    • "Completing the Spirit Guide Trials unlock outfits for Kena, each one inspired by one of the characters she meets along her journey. Succeeding at bonus objectives within each trial can unlock color variations of each outfit, as well as some unique Charmstones."
    • "An exclusive new outfit for Deluxe Edition owners."
    Release date September 27th 2022

GoldenTiger likes this.

11. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Hmm, I might try this one. I've heard the original release had some bugs and optimization issues, so I hope that those got ironed out.

12. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

I should have bought it for $20 on EGS awhile back :p. Steam release will reset the price drops I'm sure now.

13. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    It'll go on a sale by Christmas anyway, I'm sure.