Kena Bridge of Spirits

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2020.

1. haste

haste Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    I can see they haven't fixed her movement anims... what a shame.

2. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    PC Gamer same crap than IGN.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    The game is stunning for such a small studio. Its probably one of if the best looking game of the year so far and its ever so close to being a live action pixar movie. Its not quite there but its insanely impressive. Over 100fps maxed out at 1440p, with some minor UE stutters here and there but for the most part it is rock solid. The lighting in this game is exceptional and just proves we really don't need ray tracing to have great lighting.

Untitled.jpg

Cave Waverider, AsiJu and Embra like this.
  4. haste

haste Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Yep. The art style is unbelievably well polished and thought through. That is the main reason why I'll play this when I'll have some free time... Hopefully the story will be as good as the art style.

Cave Waverider likes this.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I really love this game. combat feels really good. boss fights are fun, and it looks gorgeous.
    playing on the expert setting, unfortunately could not play on the hardest yet.

Cave Waverider and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Yea I restarted because the medium difficulty seemed way too easy.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I pre-ordered it on PS5 but after one hour I'm not quite sold yet. The game feels a bit different from other games and is very cute and has great atmosphere. I unfortunately experience frame drops in the 60fps mode which I hope they'll resolve in a future patch. Also a bit sad that the currency is only for hats and nothing else (afaik?). Still highly recommend it as it's quite well done.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I've played about 6 hours of this game now on PC and I am really enjoying it. Loving it even. If I find myself thinking about a game when I'm not playing it then that's a sign that it is a good game for me!

The game runs okay on my ageing hardware at a mostly locked 1440p 60 fps Ultra settings but there's some stuttering, even when the framerate is at 60 fps. It is fairly intermittent though so not a big deal. The music is excellent - I really love how much it adds to the game's overall atmosphere - and the voice acting, though not exactly abundant, is well done.

The gameplay is excellent, a nice mix of exploration and combat with some light puzzles thrown in (basically getting Rots to move objects into specific places or to gain access to out of reach locations). The combat is good too, though I struggled against some of the larger enemies on the Normal difficulty without the bow which you don't get into a few hours into the game. I ended up lowering the difficulty to Story in order to get past one battle - yeah, I know, I know - but the combat feels so much better once you have the Bow (though you only get 4 energy arrows and these take a small amount of time to 'recharge') and have upgraded a few skills.

The world feels nice and large. It's not open world but the levels are expansive and allow for exploration and secrets to find. I am also still on the forest stage after six hours and I believe there are three other areas in the game so assuming they are the same length then there's plenty of game here to enjoy, particularly at the bargain price of £31.99.

My only complaint about the game is Kena herself who doesn't really talk much so has very little character or personality. I certainly do not want to play a game where the main character talks constantly (and repeats stuff to ad nauseum) but, at the same time, it would have been nice to have had her comment from time to time on the environment and things she comes across during the gameplay. Also, the cutscenes, while superb looking, are actually pre-rendered and play at 30 fps so appear jarring against the 60 fps gameplay. Why weren't the cutscenes real-time anyway, considering they are locked at 30 fps and use the same assets as you see in the game (also being pre-rendered means that the hats the Rots wear mysteriously disappear in the cutscenes)? Why aren't these pre-rendered cutscenes encoded at 60 fps?

Superb game though and I would highly recommend this if you enjoy Zelda style games.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  9. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    This game is good but its making my gpu close to the 80c and sometims gpu useage is reaching 100% xD
    Beautiful game i love it but it loves my 3080 aswell.

This game and biomutant both on unreal engine are making my gpu hotter then other games. I thought it was just me but this dude got the problem aswel. I always make a custom fan speed profile for games on unreal engine. 60% fanspeed on gaming x trio and temps wont exceed 73c. And still dead silent.

My only smal minor problem is sometimes a sound pop [crack] but besides that everything is running smoothly.
    Watch out for spoilers.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    This game looks interesting.

I´ll probably buy it when i finally get a PS5 but that it´s probably going to take an while.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Honestly for a first attempt at a game, they have hit the nail on the head with this game. The price is more than reaosnable, the game play is fun, the graphics are insane, the art style is cute and beautiful, the controls are fluid, and the story is intriguing.

Excellent work here, this game needs more publicity too. They could have a rather big franchise on their hands here.

The game just needs some work on animations and more voice acting from the main character.

Cave Waverider, AsiJu and tunejunky like this.
  12. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
  13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Seriously if I was microsoft, sony, or nintendo I would snap this team up in a heartbeat.

Exceptional talent on display here, they should be extremely proud of their work!

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  14. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    In technical terns, it's what we expect from aa game using UE4.
    What really stands out is the art design and the quality of the animations. The expressivity of the faces in the characters is amazingly good.
    Seems like a Pixar movie in game form.
    This is a small studio doing a much better job that most AAA studios.
    CDPR, Ubisoft, EA, and many others could learn a few lesson from them.

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Its almost as if making the absolute most money possible, squeezing your user base for all they have is not a good idea.

Cave Waverider and Horus-Anhur like this.

16. noGuruATall

noGuruATall Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580 3GB
    There is no options to set rrare, aa and af. I don't ubderstand why.

17. haste

haste Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    So far the game is solid. My only disappointment is that those beautiful cutscenes are actually pre-rendered mp4 videos running at 24FPS. I don't understand why they couldn't make them at least 4K@60.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  18. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Game is ok, looks beautiful but nothing you havent seen yet gameplay wise, its getting repetitive soon (nvm, but after 30 years of gaming you somewhat get tired of the same). Nothing i spent 40 bucks for, my time is also too precious to spent 12 hours for this.

19. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    You can edit the engine.ini of the game. It's in this folder:
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Kena\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\

----------------------------------
    r.MaxAnisotropy=16
    ----------------------------------
    For AA
    r.PostProcessAAQuality=
    0: off,
    1:very low (faster FXAA)
    2:low (FXAA),
    3:medium (faster TemporalAA)
    4:high (default TemporalAA)
    5:very high TemporalAA
    6:max TemporalAA

you can also disable film grain, chromatic aberration, sharpening, etc.
    and you can tweak TAA to improve clarity.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  20. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 + CX OLED
    In the late 90s to mid 2000s I was Jedi level with .ini configurations and tilde this tilde that. The Notepad was also my friend. lol. You however Mr. @Horus-Anhur are the little green dude with the pointy ears. Do you speak with your predicates before the subjects too? :p:D;)

Horus-Anhur likes this.