Keeping the 5800X3D adequately cool(no thermal throttling) without using PBO curve optimizer.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Reclusive781, May 9, 2024.

1. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    it may be only 120mm fans but its pretty big, Its 750 grams, I used a modified bracket to mount the one I have on an lga 775 board, and it kept an overclocked dual core cedarmill at 4.6ghz below 70c (>200w) in prime 95, and even so, I feel like the fans it comes with don't have enough static pressure to get the most out of it since the fin stack is pretty dense. Got it on sale for $42 CAD(~$30usd), which is ridiculous for how good it is.

tunejunky likes this.
  2. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    those fans are better than most. you'd have to spend nearly as much for one better fan than the entire cooler.
    the only fans better across the board are the Phanteks PH-F120 and the Be Quiet! Silent Wings Pro 4

3. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    WCed rigs are effected by rising or lowering of ambient the same as air cooling. As ambient rises in temp, so does the case temps, the fluid temps and the component temps, however in my experience while the temps rise and fall relative to each other, the speed of change is lower with WCing.

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Is the SE version of that any good?

5. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac sff rtx4070s
  6. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    dont get me wrong they are good fans, but the resistance to airflow is quite high on the cooler itself, so they are a bit mismatched, if the cooler had greater spacing between the fins it wouldnt be a problem,
    I wonder if that's the difference between the assasin and the phantom because they both appear quite similar. The extra heatpipe i dont think explains the performance difference alone

tunejunky likes this.
  7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Thanks.

Also, I just went to my usual online shop to look for thermalright coolers, and there's pages upon pages upon pages of thermalright coolers. Wtf. Are they just pooping these out non-stop? What's the point? :p

Is Phantom Spirit the best of the lot for 5800X3D? There's more expensive ones from them.

8. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    So many people don't realise that airflow and pressure are not the same and fans need to be matched correctly to the HS/radiator depending on fin density and thickness. Same as water pumps with flow rates and head pressure being different.

user1 and tunejunky like this.
  9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    technically, it's overkill for an 8/16c X3D AMD cpu. but i'm not going to discourage you from buying one. i like it as cool as possible.

user1 likes this.
  10. reslore

reslore Member Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Best thing to do with the 5800X3D is to use the Curve Optimizer in Ryzen Master or your BIOS. Mine runs at -30 just fine, some can't do -30 but -15 or -20 should be easy. It raised my Cinebench score quite a bit and runs cooler too.

11. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    He has already said he has tried and it gives him huge stability issues

tunejunky likes this.
  12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Good future proofing though, i cant see the next gens of GPU and CPU running anything other than the same or higher temps, how long before we have to add NVMe drives into a loop :D

tunejunky likes this.
  13. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    How is a companies products be so inexpensive and who's logo is only a rectangle and two squares actually work this good?

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    CO -30 and PBO +200 is how you boost performance and reduce heat/voltages and your Ryzen cpu. To bad X3D cant be used with PBO or it would be even faster.

With Zen4 you have one more trick you can use called medium load boostit in PBO settings that remove 5.5ghz bios limit and increase performance even further.

tunejunky likes this.