1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep the same IP

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by DonDany21, Jul 29, 2009.

1. DonDany21

DonDany21 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OC2 1GB
    Is there any way to keep the IP I'm using right now?
    If yes explain me how (nub here). I want to be able to shut down my PC. I have Sweex LW050v2 router and a dynamic IP.

2. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    It depends on who is your isp. Typically cable companies give an ip for about 6 months provided your mac address never changes. DSL companies give you new ip about one a week. Just depends, but unless you have a static wan ip , it will change randomly. The isp control this function, not you.

3. DonDany21

DonDany21 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OC2 1GB
    I can change my IP every time I reset my router, but now I want to keep the IP that I'm using right now. Will the IP remain the same if I shut down the PC, but the router will still work?

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Depending on what Windows you're using (the steps are different), you can do this.

Since I run Windows Server 2008, I'll give you the steps for Vista (they're essentially the same thing). Also, I run the Classic View (as I find the new view harder to work with).

Start --> Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center --> Manage Network Connections --> Right click "Local Area Connection" (default name, if you renamed your network card, right click your network card w/ your custom name) --> Press Properties --> Highlight "Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4)" --> Press Properties --> Press the "Use the following IP address" radio button.

You MUST enter the proper information (and assign your own IP address). This way, you establish your own static IP address.

You MUST also find out your ISP's DNS servers in order for you to enter it in the fields that ask for the DNS servers.

Goodluck,
    deltatux

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's not really to do with indows, it depends whether you have a static I.P. or a Dynamic I.P. ad54654-y....if it's static it'll be assigned by your ISP.

Dynamic will change every time youDF reset your router - or with DHCP enabled - everytime you boo3
    At.A DFA3

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sorry my kb just had a meltdown..

NEway if you disable dhcp and don't reset your router after setting a static in Windows you may get away with it. Sorry gotta get my k/b sorted..

8. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    Why are you trying to keep the same wan ip?? Are you hosting..just curious...

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The DNS addy's should be listed in the router config menu.... I usually just put the gateway Ip address as the DNS server in windows..

I'm not even sure Windows needs one as it's assigned by the router..

10. yleclerc

yleclerc Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel / nVidia GT845 2GB
    Dynamic IP addressing can never guaranty that you will ever be assigned / keep the same IP address. You will need to update your Internet service to either a Static assigned Dynamic IP address (based on service log-on -- not available from all ISP services) or Static IP address service.

If you can not afford / get these Static IP address services, you will need to look at several Dynamic DNS services. These services will provide a method of assigning your "current" IP to a DNS name (ex: mypc.myhome.???) when the "service update" application detects IP address or at timed intervals. Several routers already provide an application to do this already. You can download "several" Windows applications to do this.

One possible Dynamic DNS service is www.dyndns.org.

11. Osirus999

Osirus999 New Member

GPU:
    Embedded in MB

Who is your current provider? If you have a cable based IP with the major 6 ISP's you will probably keep your IP for quite some time so long as you don't replace your router or modem or do anything funky in the router such as cloning mac addresses. Provided you leave the router and modem paired you should be ok for a considerable amount of time UNLESS your ISP does node maint or for some reason your IP lease expires and someone grabs it before your router does (that doesn't happen too often though).

Now if you have DSL...you're probably screwed it can change several times a day. If you have satellite such as Hughes...it won't matter because nobody ever sees those IP's anyway.