keep SLi or get a 1900XT

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Blackhawk[79], Feb 12, 2006.

1. Blackhawk[79]

Blackhawk[79] Banned

GPU:
    HIS X1900MC
    I have two 7800 GTX in SLi, I love the fps im getting but I hear that ATi has better IQ so how all around good is the X1900XT? (Im basically asking the people who own one)

im asking about the X1900XT because I would want to go crossifre later, and i cud OC to XTX speeds

2. Fredvan27

Fredvan27 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI X1900XTX Zalman Fatal1ty FS_V7

If you are going to go Crossfire do it. But dont go for the XT unless its Crossfire, you wont see any improvement over your GTX SLI setup with just 1 XT.

3. Xaser04

Xaser04 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE UV
    Not worth it tbh. Wait for the G71 if you want to change.

4. Overall the X1900XT is an insanely powerful card, even more powerful than the 7800GTX 512Mb. But I don't think it is more powerful than 2 7800GTX 256Mb's in SLI (though it is not that far behind). If it is crossfire you are thinking about then go for it, because 2 X1900XT's in crossfire will blow away any other setup currently available. But be warned, even your FX-55 will bottleneck those beasts in crossfire.

5. Fredvan27

Fredvan27 Member Guru

GPU:
    It will be interesting to see what the price tag of the G71 beast will be. If it is along the lines of the GTX 512, you better mortgage your house or get a loan from the bank to purchase that green toy.:frown:

Also it wouldnt make much sense for nVidia to release the G71 cheaper than the GTX 512 price. If they do IMO this will be the first time that a next gen high end card will be released cheaper than the previous gen high end card.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  6. leo

leo Member

GPU:
    Inno3d 6600GT
    Hi,

I am also thinking about going for the Saphire X1900XT for my next upgrade unless theres anything else available that would be better or more suitable.
    I'm currently browsing around looking for a crossfire mobo, what sort of thing would you guys recommend? I'm thinking about going for the X2 4400 if it would be good enough:)

7. Fredvan27

Fredvan27 Member Guru

GPU:
    Wait for the RD580 Mobos that are going to be released by the end of this month.

8. leo

leo Member

GPU:
    Inno3d 6600GT
    Ok, cheers mate!
    Thats around the time I'm hoping to buy anyway:) I hope this upgrade is going to be worth it:rolleyes:

9. Blackhawk[79]

Blackhawk[79] Banned

GPU:
    HIS X1900MC
    Well, I have my FX-55 at FX-57 speeds, but yeah. i dont have the money to get two crossfire cards, so i think im gonna wait, if i got a AMD X2 4800 and OCd to FX-60 speeds or even higher you think that would be a good buy? sicne games a starting to support dual core

10. I've seen a couple of benchmarks with the FX-60 and 2 X1900XT's in crossfire, and believe it or not even the FX-60 is bottle necking the cards a bit. I'd definently say that the 4800+ would be better than the FX-55 because dual core is really starting to take off. (I just ordered a 4600+ myself) I would recommend getting the 4800+ and OC'ing it to 2.8Ghz or so if you have sufficient cooling to do so. You'll still get a bit of bottle necking but it won't be that bad. Though for a single X1900XT, the 4800+ will be just fine.

11. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    ATI's dual card solution cant touch a pair of sli 512mb cards, and is neck and neck with your current solution. So why would you trade it for a 1 card solution. As far as bottlenecking is concerned, sli cards don't bottleneck much with a fx-55 or fx-57, or the fx-60, if properly configured. dont believe the ati hype, the iq differences are so subtle you wont notice while playing games. The ati solution no doubt is a good solution if your using a single card solution looking to upgrade but to swap sli for crossfire is simply nuts......

12. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    why wud u trade 2 512MB GTX in SLI for a x1900xt, you even said u not gona go crossfire yet... seems silly, as new cards will be cumin out soon... 2 512 GTXs' vs 1 x1900xt u people must b kidding me!

13. Templ

Templ Guest

The image quality is pretty much the same. The HQ AF is a nice addition, but you need a really sharp eye to notice a difference between HQAF and normal AF. The ability to turn AA and HDR on at the same time is the only noticable difference (note: SP:CT cannot run AA and HDR, even on ATI cards; HL2:LC can run AA+HDR on both, ATI and Nvidia). I should also mention that i like Nvidia's TR SSAA better than ATI's Adop.AA, but that's just me.

As for the performace, the two GTXs' are definitely faster than a single 1900XTX. I would just stick with those cards for now. I suggest you wait for DX10 cards. Why replace something that can deliver playable framerates in just about every game?

14. Fredvan27

Fredvan27 Member Guru

GPU:
    WHO said anything about GTX 512??? Judging by his clocks 495/1.3 he is talking about GTX 256 SLI.:rolleyes: And soon as you buy these "new cards" the next gen cards will be right around the corner and so on and so on.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  15. Fredvan27

Fredvan27 Member Guru

GPU:
    Dont know where your getting your info but according to the reviews I have read, the GTX 512 SLI is not faster than 1900XT Crossfire actually the crossfire beats it in almost every bench. And the GTX 256 SLI doesnt touch the GTX 512 SLI setup so why would it keep up to the 1900 XT Crossfire.

Also the new RD580 mobos will be released by the end of the month. These new Crossfire boards will definitely give a performance boost to the crossfire platform. The 6.2 cats that were just released are the only official drivers for the 1900 series, so IMO the next cats will also push the 1900 series farther beyond the GTX 512.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/24/ati_radeon_x1900_heats_up_with_48_pixel_pipelines/page8.html

16. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU
    Be content with what you've got mate, which is basically a bloody good rig! For the few extra FPS it's not worth the hassle. Keep your rig until DX10 hits the market, by then AMD will be releasing their new monster socket and Windows Vista should be working nicely. No point upgrading now until DX10 IMO.

17. Fredvan27

Fredvan27 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vista wont be released till 07.

18. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU
    Exactly, so surely a 7800GTX SLi rig is good enough 'til then??!! LOL

19. Fredvan27

Fredvan27 Member Guru