Keep blowing power supplies

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 03Black1.8t, Aug 1, 2005.

1. 03Black1.8t

03Black1.8t New Member

GPU:
    fx5700
    well I took the unit back to tigerdirect and i had to exchange it. I ended up getting the 400 watt ultra. Its basically all they had. I need to get the pc up a running asap. Also I was thinking about something that may of cause it to happen I have a 2 plug electrical outlet under my pc. I have 1 main power surge protector plugged into the wall and I have 7 componets pluged into it. I will invest and get another power strip.

2. babylon52281

babylon52281 Master Guru

GPU:
    Winfast 6600GT / Intel GM
    :eek:

7 components on 1 outlet! a bad electrical no-no. but u r heading in the right direction. 2 burnt PSUs in such a short time, its must be ur electrical outlet. see if u can get a qualified electrician or ur power company to take a look. as them to measure spikings and brown-outs. frequent spikings can really do major damages.

3. Renegade87

Renegade87 Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC 256MB AGP
    Insomniac34 is right (of course I'm gonna side with an educated Red Sox fan every time). Of the choices available from Tigerdirect (next time try Newegg) get an Enermax. Look at this one:
    Enermax / Noisetaker / 470-Watt / ATX V2.0 / Dual 80mm Fan / 24-Pin / PCI-Express / SATA-Ready / Power Supply. And don't whine about the price.

The reason your blowing PSU's up (consider yourself extremely lucky you didn't take out the mobo and/or cpu with it) is that you're most likely running very close to your amperage limit on the 12v rail (if not slightly over) with that cheap PSU to begin with. When you OC that bad boy..... poof! Congratulations, you learned the hard way. Get the Enermax Noisetaker 470 and don't look back.

4. T8000

T8000 Master Guru

GPU:
    GF6800 LE 128 MB 12p_softmod, fanless (24dB_total)
    PSU

The 600W Ultra seems to come with lifetime warranty. Also, 600W of normal PSU is usually not less than 450W of expensive PSU.

Besides, with BTX coming in the next few years, a $160 ATX PSU may not be a wise investment.

5. whome

whome Guest

TigerDirect is in Miami / Florida and only washedup drugies work there