KB938979 Driver Sig Fix

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Trebuin, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Trebuin

Trebuin Member

Vista 64-bit KB938979 Driver Signing fix

Ok, finally found a workaround using the test method.

1) Download the test certificate files here http://depositfiles.com/files/1512543

2) Follow their instructions and sign your drivers :)

3) Erase the watermark using my instructions here:
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/...uation-watermark-from-desktop/#comment-378694

or read below and read the permission stuff at the site above. I managed to get this to work on Vista 64 as I have to run it this way.

I managed to actually get this to work with vista 64 with a few changes.

1) Download this version of the user32.dll.msu: http://depositfiles.com/files/1512506
    This is a rar archive of 3 different user32.dll.msu files vista 64 contains, at least for my version.

2) Open up the batch file within to read the directories that I place the new files to. Take ownership of the files in these directories and give yourself read/write permission as stated above.

3) I built the batch based on c:\, extract all the files there. Replace them with your own edited version if you would like. I added the option to remove the test mode since that’s how I bypass the driver signature now.

4) Now here’s where you need to pay attention: Use your Vista install CD, if you don’t own one, get one from microsoft or winbeta. You need to reboot your computer.

5) You have the option to repair your computer, select this option.

6) Now open the command prompt.

7) Run that batch. All files should copy…if they don’t, time to modify the batch for yourself. Instructions are in the download.
    *XP’s boot CD should work as well if you’re familiar with it*

8) Reboot and your done

Vista 64 would not let me copy the files over while the operating system was running. I did not try safemode because I was getting a little irritated over all my failures and I knew this would work to overwrite. I hope this helps you all.

Respectfully,
    Trebuin

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  2. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Excellent work! :thumbup:
    I vote for a sticky and inclusion in Rivatuner FAQ.

3. talrusher

talrusher Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX275 @752/1620/1296
    tried this on my vista x64 ultimate German, but it wount run even if i rename the files. vista restores allways the original user32.dll.mui files.

4. Trebuin

Trebuin Member

I'm sorry, I made this for the english version. Follow the instructions in the downloads and you can make your own user32.dll.mui. I managed to keep vista64 from restoring the original and the instructions WILL work.

5. talrusher

talrusher Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX275 @752/1620/1296
    replaced all found files with urs even that files with other size but it wount work.
    ive looked for KB938979 to uninstall it but i havent installed it. Maybe thats the reason because it wont work.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  6. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3
    i'm confused ^_^

would you be able to sign these drivers? *for me wink wink*

http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/

*edit think i got it... here goes nothing.

*edit2. so far so good, now to restart...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  7. zickZackMann

zickZackMann New Member

Do you have to leave the Test Mode on, or can you switch it off when youre done signing the driver?

Because signing the driver works for me, but RT won't work when I turne the Test Mode off.

8. Trebuin

Trebuin Member

have to leave the test mode on. Follow the rest of the instructions to remove the watermark.

9. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3
    well it does work but it sucks leaving test mode on. no other way is there?

10. Trebuin

Trebuin Member

Well, the test mode is just like leaving the unsigned drivers enabled provided you remove that watermark. As of now, there is only booting and using the F8 method or buying a $500 cert of your own. Sorry.

11. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Seems the August 14th KB932596 has also made driver signing mandatory, uninstalled it and RivaTuner works fine again.

Here's the MS page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932596

Doesn't seem to fix any vulnerabilities really, so, hopefully not a huge loss.

12. Breathless

Breathless Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 XXX 756C/2700M
    The question is does this work after that new kernel patch described by the guy before me.

Is this better than using Atsiv which I am currently using now?

13. speekergeek

speekergeek Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 675/2160
    Seems like a lot of work to me.... cant I just hit a button or yell at my computer until it works? :)

I am thinking about removing the hotfix, i really see no gain from it.... honestly I don't even know what it does...

Mike

EDIT: OK i read the hotlink to the hotfix (hot????) and I don't need that crap. I have antivirus software anyways.

14. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    hear hear, I second this motion to get us a hack that will start it's work whilst we yell at and possibly kick our pc's;)

15. Breathless

Breathless Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 XXX 756C/2700M
    Hear hear!

16. Dwarden

Dwarden Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2048MB
    MS should offer inhouse driver signing for small and indie developers for free

17. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

They'll never do it. All this driver signing related stuff is about one thing - money, not about "improved" security.

18. Trebuin

Trebuin Member

You said it. Microsoft has to make money after all the lawsuits.

19. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Everybody needs money, but some are trying to work hard and others are trying to get easy money and sell air.

20. Infraded

Infraded Member

GPU:
    2x eVGA 8800 GTX
    The cost for a certificate to sign code doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft. It goes to Verisign, Comodo, or any other Certificate Authority you use. All the certificate does is say that the code/program you downloaded is the original provided from the maker. It has nothing to do with what the code actually is or does, just proves that it hasn't been changed by a third party.