Kaveri review : tested 13 recent games, vs Intel Iris Pro / Hybrid CF included

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by DGLee, Jan 17, 2014.

1. DGLee

DGLee Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 5970 2GB
    Kaveri review : tested 13 recent games, vs Intel Iris Pro / Hybrid CF included

Actually I ran all those benchmarks prior to Kaveri's embargo is lifted. Only translating them in English takes that much time thank to my poor English ability. Anyway, let's have a look:

My review consists of two parts - Part 1 is for Processor Graphics inside Kaveri while Part 2 is being planned to deal with Kaveri's coverage at the domain of traditional CPU as well as its HSA features. Today I will show you the former one.

Test hardwares are as follows:

[​IMG]

Before the test begins, I estimated Kaveri's Processor Graphics performance by using VGA calculator I designed. It's a simple, first-order fractional equation consists of GPU's compute performance(number of shader * core clock), texture fillrate(number of TMU * core clock), rendering performance(number of ROP * core clock) and VRAM bandwidth(bitrate * VRAM clock) as its terms. (further about this equation, see this: http://udteam.tistory.com/535 - by using this, I speculated that Hawaii will be faster than GTX TITAN while full-blown GK110 will also retake the crown from Hawaii even prior to Hawaii's release) First result for A10-7850K, which has 8 Graphics Core(= 512SP/32TMU/8ROP) within it.

[​IMG]

Second is for A10-7700K / A8-7600 both have 6 Graphics Core(= 384SP/24TMU/8ROP).

[​IMG]

Well, the results suggests that Kaveri's Processor Graphics is virtually competitive to entry level discrete graphics card. At the same time, however, it also implies that +128SP is not actually helpful (difference between 7850K and 7700K/7600 is less than 7%) and this means performance hesitator is not SP/TMU part. Rather, ROP partition and poor memory bandwidth are more likely. So why AMD cultivate that much amount of SPs despite all? I think, AMD's intention is aimed for Post HSA era. Huge amount of SPs are employed not only for graphics acceleration but also as compute resources, thus to allow them a whole "856 GFLOPS" in one chip. (further will be dealt in Part 2)

Well, the intro was too long. Let's see the numbers!
    All tests are done at 1280x720(HD) / 1600x900(HD+) with highest possible graphics quality settings.
    (You can see original results from my blog: http://udteam.tistory.com/611)

-----

1. 3DMark 11
    (Entry / Performance Preset)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 3DMark 13
    (Cloud Gate / Fire Strike)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Aliens vs Predator
    (Texture : Very High, Shadow : High, AF x16, SSAO On, Tessellation On, Advanced Shadow On, AA Off)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Batman : Arkham City
    (DX11 Features : MVSS and HBAO, DX11 Tessellation : High, Detail Level : Extreme, AA & PhysX Off)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Bioshock : Infinite
    (UltraDX11 with Diffusion Depth of Field)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DGLee

DGLee Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 5970 2GB
    6. Crysis : Warhead
    (64bit, DX10, Enthusiast, AA Off)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. DiRT : Showdown
    (Ultra Preset, AA Off)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Hitman : Absolution
    (Quality Level : Ultra, AA & FXAA Off)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Just Cause 2
    (Texture/Shadow/SSAO : High, Water/Objects Detail : Very High, All others On except AA)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Metro 2033
    (DX11 with DOF, Quality : Very High, AF 16x, AA & PhysX Off)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DGLee

DGLee Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 5970 2GB
    11. Metro : Last Light
    (DX11, Quality : Very High, AF 16x, Motion Blur : Normal, Tessellation : Very High, AA & PhysX Off)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Sleeping Dogs
    (Graphics Level : Extreme, AA : Normal)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Tomb Raider : Reboot
    (Quality : Ultra, AA Off)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for this review. Here are summarizing graphs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading (or attempt to read) my article. Have a nice day!

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Good one. They are basically trading blows.
    They have nearly same productivity value for office, low details gaming.

While AMD solution eats about 50W more, intel costs as it's mobile chip are sky high. So AMD will end up cheaper even after decade of use 24/7. Not that we will be still using either of two after 5 years.

Now question is about real life performance/consumption of low cost beema/mullins. And what offerings will intel bring in next year as they will have some IP from nVidia.

Just for comparison: 3 years ago I had i7-720qm @ 1.83 ~ 3.2GHz + HD 5870m @ 800MHz which ate together over 100W and actually had similar performance to what this (Iris) gives in one chip around 50W.
    This allows for 14" notebooks with performance of very big 15" / 17". It's nice upgrade, but that price is not that attractive.

5. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    So in Batman Game the Intel chip does better>? I guess this is to be expected some games Amd is better and some games Intel is better! It depends on what you play I guess? But I must say the A10 6800k and the new Kalveri ( or whatever they are called ) I think when the price drops on them a little bit they will be a very attractive combo for entery-level gamers, Iam thinking of grabbing one myself just to thinker with it a little bit!

6. Kurjuutus

Kurjuutus New Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 6950 DCII 2GB
    I'd love too see some comparation with higher-end GPU's, especially Radeon 270x, 280x & 290/x!

Just thinking what processor to go on with my new build :) With any AMD CPU I can afford 280x, with Intel, 270x. These tests shows me I'm goog/better to go with AMD and faster GPU.. Still need to see few more Kaveri tests (and Mantle :p), to decide with what to go with.

TrueAudio also seems interesting. Anyone can say if it's possible to use TrueAudio with Kaveri's iGPU and use discrete GPU at same time?