Kaby Lake vs Skylake

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by testcy, Aug 22, 2017.

1. testcy

testcy Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS DUAL-RX460-O2G
    How much better are Kaby Lake compared to Skylake CPUs? Would a G4560 be a much better choice than a G4500? Are Integrated Intel HD Graphics 610 any faster than 530?

2. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 8GB HBM2
    Kaby Lake has more clock speed & voltage is lower at same clock speed of Skylake, if you planning to keep the CPU then get Kaby Lake.
    Example: Kaby Lake 4.4Ghz runs at 1.20v vs Skylake 4.4Ghz at 1.248v.

tunejunky likes this.
  3. testcy

testcy Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS DUAL-RX460-O2G
    I am not sure if you are talking about power consumption, which I see is 47W vs 51W and not that great difference for a desktop PC.

4. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1070FTW
    I recently had a g4560 after my 6700k and Asus maximus 8 Hero failed on me, it was a surprisingly good chip for dual core 4 thread chip and for only £62 but i had to make compromises when running games....to get 55-60 fps @ 1440p in games like ghost recon wildlands and mafia 3 i had to close programs corsair link and Asus AI suite, strange thing is Arma3 ran really well but Sim 3 and The Division were a stutter fest, as for the onchip graphics...if you want to just browse the internet and watch films its fine although i didn't try the 4560`s graphics i did try the 6700k`s and i couldnt run ets2 above 1080p with low graphics and get more than 15-20 fps

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    What's the reason for the query? New build, or replacement CPU? If a new build currently I'd go a different option which would sound bad in the Intel thread :). You signature says you have a RX 460, even though it's basic card the onboard Intel graphics isn't as fast:

Intel HD 610 vs RX 460:
    http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel--HD-610-Desktop-Kaby-Lake-vs-AMD-RX-460/m225196vs3641

The Intel 530 is much faster than the 610, but still no where near the RX 460.
    http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-HD-530-Desktop-Skylake-vs-AMD-RX-460/m33102vs3641

It's why more information can be beneficial in giving advice :)

tunejunky likes this.
  6. testcy

testcy Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS DUAL-RX460-O2G
    It's a new build. Maybe I should choose a Kaby Lake with Intel 630 instead?

7. Singleton99

Singleton99 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    Yes , that what i would do if i was you, plus Kaby Lake does overclock higher than Skylake with less voltage as others have said , A month or so ago i was without a graphics card and had to use the HD 530 on my skylake cpu and was quite surprised on how will it did in very light gaming and rejuiced settings , so the HD 630 should be a little better again :)

8. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 470 4gb
    Small differences but i think you have to go with the kaby lake, unless you can find a skylake in a significantly better price.
    Appart the stronger HD 610, the g4560 has also hypethreading and supports ddr4 memory up to 2400mhz(instead of 2133mhz of the g4500).

9. testcy

testcy Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS DUAL-RX460-O2G
    I think you mean the weaker HD 610 (compared to the HD 530)?

10. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 470 4gb
    Yes the HD 610 is weaker than the HD 530.
    I was confused with the HD 630.

11. testcy

testcy Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS DUAL-RX460-O2G
    I am now thinking between a Pentium G4620 and an i3-7100. The i3 is about 30% more expensive than the Pentium, but I am not sure if the difference in performance is worthwhile.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Testcy, your signature does say you have a RX 460, going back to Intel integrated graphics will be a downgrade. True, it might be masked by a faster processor, but that same processor with the RX 460 will far exceed the processor with the integrated graphics, even the HD 630.

If you're not anti-AMD CPU wise, the Ryzen 3 would be a good choice. You could get a reasonable B350 board with it. If you want to later and put in a Ryzen 7 1700 for example, you just have to replace the CPU! Furthermore you could replace it with Ryzen 7 1750 or whatever the Ryzen+ series will be labelled. If you go Intel, you would have to get a Z270 board if you wanted to upgrade later and have the benefits of overclocking. However, even then you are still limited to the Kaby Lake range, you simply won't be able to upgrade to anything better like Coffee Lake.

Integrated graphics are really still best for productivity, not so much gaming. What specifically do you want to use the computer for and what budget are you working with? It sounds like gaming is something you would like, and as I said all of your Intel options are a noticeable downgrade on the RX 460. True, you can use the RX 460 with the Intel option, but that would defeat the purpose of getting one specifically for the onborad graphics... so you might as well get the best CPU and motherboard options for now within your budget, and one that allows you to upgrade if you so wish to later.

13. testcy

testcy Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS DUAL-RX460-O2G
    To clarify things, I am not asking about an upgrade from my current system but about a new build, so I am not really interested about performance difference compared to what I am using now. The new build will not used for demanding gaming and is supposed to be a budget system with as low as possible cost.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  14. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (pascal)
    Google is your friend, :>).

15. testcy

testcy Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS DUAL-RX460-O2G
    Not always.

16. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    Still the on board GPUs are as bad as it gets. No matter what.

17. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 ARMOR 4G OC
    Coffee Lake