K9N2 SLi Platinum - FIRE

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by XF_Golden, Sep 28, 2008.

1. XF_Golden

XF_Golden Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800Gx2 800/1125/1850
    I just got a K9N2 Plat MOBO and a phenom 9950..... The motherboard needed to the Virtual Machine Security turned off in order to boot.

I booted safe mode so that I could copy everything over to my external drive. I walked away to see what my dog was doing and when I came back the machine was off. Thinking this odd I tried to turn it on and no luck. So being frustrated I pushed the power button several times in quick succession and it started to post. Then it caught on fire. The source was what ever was under the circupipe heat sink thing. I've checked everything and it all works except that the board wants to catch on fire. How bogus.. I'm returning all of it today.
    I'll be going XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLI Motherboard CPU Bundle - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Processor 2.40GHz OEM. unless anyone has experience roasting marshmellows on those.

2. XF_Golden

XF_Golden Member

GPU:
    Compusa didn't have the bundle on hand so I kept the 9950 and got an ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe. I think It will suffice for a year or so.

3. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Processor didn't fry in the fire?

What were the temps on that? lol

4. XF_Golden

XF_Golden Member

GPU:
    I am not sure what the temp was. I don't know what is under the cooler for the circupipe
    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K9N2_SLI_Platinum&class=mb
    it's the copper looking thing behind the back panel connectors but it was smoking and had a bright light blue color. I think it is the onboard video though.

I don't really care though compusa made no bone about me returning it. so I have an asus m3n-ht deluxe with my phenom and it's kicking as* and taking names.

5. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Of course they did'nt care if you returned it. It burst into flames.

6. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I believe that those are the voltage regulators under the copper hs (if I'm looking at it right)

Since it's an MSI board, anything is possible - and I can add this as one more reason to not ever purchase MSI (I pulled the socket clean off of 4 MSI boards just by installing the same Tt Big-Typhoon that has been on 7 other motherboards!)

But, something foreign could have gotten under the edge of that hs, just out of sight - perhaps completing a connection between caps or traces. Or, a standoff on the motherboard tray underneath may not have been in the right place.

In any case, it's all a moot point now, but at least it's valid information that could be used to ensure that you've done your part to ensure it can't happen again.

Good luck with your new rig - sounds like you're having fun!

Psychlone

7. Phatzy

Phatzy Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7850
    LOL, it must be dusty in your pc :)

8. XF_Golden

XF_Golden Member

GPU:
    Well I do my due diligence when installing computer hardware. you don't get to be a Top Tier System tech at Cox Comm. with out it. I am sure it had something to do with the fact that MSI is garbage. I was completely lost on my brothers system. he had just gotten an MSI board for his new build via newegg. well this was a couple years ago at least but this was when AGP8x was hot. he called me up because he could get video onboard but not throught his shiny new ATI vid card. I tooka a look at it and couldn't figure it out. so I borrowed a card from a shelved box at work that I knew was good. put it in and same thing. The AGP slot was bad out of the box. granted it was newegg and it could be a recycled return. but I am now 2 for 2 on MSI stuff that is bad.

3 for 3 on gigabyte being good and 1 for 1 on ASUS. I don't foresee any more MSI crap in my future.

Thanx for the good wishes.

9. Phatzy

Phatzy Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7850
    yea i would of fought the caps on the mobo would pop before the mosfets

10. dzxray

dzxray New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800 GTX+
    That's unfortunate. At first, I couldn't get the computer to boot up with a 9800 GTX+ installed in the pcie slot. This motherboard seems pretty good once you plug in a psu power connector into the motherboard 4-pin molex connector. Now the video card works and the whole system runs stable.

11. goitalone

goitalone Member

GPU:
    VisionTek Radeon HD4870
    My friend always bought MSI and all his boards kept getting fried and that is why I never bought an MSI and never will. He even had MSI nVidia Video cards and they sucked too.

I have owned 7 Asus boards and never had any terrible issues with any of them other than a couple had picky memory slots.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I've had good luck with MSI until the MSI barebone I ordered in July. Onboard audio screwed up (will ONLY work with headphones), onboard USB ports completely dead, IDE controller flaky (had to install a Promise IDE controller card which unfortunately won't run a DVD-rom), the bios was original (from the initial release of GF7050) I think it even has 1 bad PCI slot, since I couldn't get a PCI SB Audigy SE to work in it. I had to giveup my X-Fi for sound on the MSI board and am now using the AudigySE in my system because the onboard audio on my Intel board acts as a radio antenna. Glad I went Intel instead of buying that particular MSI board like i had originally planned. Sorry for your luck, but appreciate you posting this info. You could very well be saving someone's life by posting it like you did! Could you imagine that board going up in flames and burning someone's house down while they're sleeping?