Just upgraded to 8320 Vishera & 990FX Sabertooth :)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Pill Monster, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hey I'd never forget you :p, and I'm sure you'll be happy with it, my 3D Mark score was the same using either 4 or 8 cores fwiw. :)

I'm pleased with it though my M5A97 was a great board also, the Sabertooth has a plethora of BIOS options to get used to, as usual ASUS provides no description for any of the unfamiliar settings lol.

Maybe I should be asking you...like, wtf is "Application Power Management"? haha.

At least we have the ROG website to turn to for help....

File transfers between drives are now incredibly fast for some reason, I don't know if it's the CPU upgrade or the new Asmedia SATA controller or maybe the faster RAM but I'm getting around 110MB/S between HDD's, I had half that speed with my last rig.

Copying Far Cry 3 from one disk to another took less than a minute - that's 10GB in under 60secs, very lovely.

The Vishera is a mixed bag, everything feels snappier (maybe just due to the higher clock speed) and multi tasking is now much faster thanks to the extra "cores", however it was slower in SuperPI and HyperPI bench tests than the Phenom II which it replaced.

Another thing is the L1/L2/L3 cache latency is slower with this CPU, strangely though disabling 2-4 cores seems to resolve this, I'm thinking it's because there is more cache available per core when fewer cores are active (that's my theory at least lol).

Only games I've tested thus far are FC3 and Fallout NV. FPS haven't improved noticeably however gameplay is definitely smoother and they don't chug in spots like my Phenom II did occasionally.

Overall it's an improvement over Phenom (multitasking/rendering especially) lightly threaded apps are kinda meh but we all know that of course....:)

Will keep you posted once I've had some more experience with different tasks and apps....

Sorry mate I couldn't find a download link, will use G3D's mirror and post results a bit later for you. :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

It's mainly used in conjunction with your power saving features. C1E/Core C6 State. I'm not really sure what it does exactly, but was informed by someone that if you are using power saving features leave it on or set to Auto. If you have disabled power saving, You can disable it. But I like browsing the interwebz at 4.5GHz, so all my power saving feature are disabled for teh lulz. :D

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Hard to see everything on my cell, but you may of clocked your vram too high and its affecting your score?

6. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Hmm, that definitely interests me! I will have to take a look when I get home. I am trying to remember if my BIOS lets me disable individual modules, or only cores (modules in pairs), as I've tried playing with that a bit before. I'll keep you posted on it :)

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The second screenshot is from when I had the 955, the overall score is lower but the GPU score is higher.

In the first screenshot (8320) the GPU score is lower but physics score is nearly 3000 more than with the 955.

Edit: /facepalm I just realized my GPU clocks were different on those 2 bench tests..lol duh

Edit 2: Double facepalm since discovering my FPS were capped at 65fps with Afterburner.. :D

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I can only disable in pairs on my board, so I shut down 4/5 and 6/7.

Btw I got the NB up to 2800mhz but it took 1.45v to do it, imho not worth all that extra voltage for just 200mhz gain.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    So 4xaa, rest at high? I presume that's variable test.. Hm I think i get something similar with my current system, will double check when i get home.

For fixed benchmark i know im cpu bound and i cant get more then 102fps, dx10 took a big dump with latest drivers, it use to be ~ 98fps now its 93-94fps.

btw X3TC is a big single threaded bottleneck, esp. 1st test (i got min 21fps) kinda curious what Vishera can do :nerd:

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^I ran the fixed test.....

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I see, well then its quite good, better then i expected ;P

Can you do X3TC too (high, 4xaa & 1600x1200) and post overall + bench1 fps? :D

13. Hubble

Hubble Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 x 2
    Temps are good. They don't go beyond 47c on that bench. Seems to be throttling on that bench only though for some reason.

14. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Yeah that is a bit high on the NB voltage and don't blame you for not keeping it there. It sounds like 2600 may be the sweet spot for your rig! So I tried disabling the cores, and our boards are the same - disabling in pairs. Turning off cores 5/6 I saw such a big drop in multi-threading performance with Cinebench, that I think that even with the cache boost I might end off worse in the end?

I wonder how much higher I could get the overclock with those disabled, running on 4 cores instead of 6 though. Maybe that, combined with the cache benefit may be something. Hmm...

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Too bad you cant disable individual modules

16. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ True, that would really mix things up! Imagine the tweaking possibilities... Alas with the modules shared resources, I can see why that couldn't be included.

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Nice upgrade pill, care to post some pics ? :D

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You mean of my rig? Yeah I could prob do that, it's a bit messy though lol.

Have to wait till tomorrow since my roomate has the camera and it's 1AM here. :p

19. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Nice, i doubt you will need to change that CPU for a long time, for latency, don't worry about it, it's fine, and much better than on BD chips, but anyway, it do not play such a big role on that architecture anyway.

20. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    You guys have me tempted to buy an ASUS 990FX R2.0 board. Right now, I am using a ASRock Extreme4 board that overclocks my FX8120 only to about 4.4GHz. (That is at 1.375v with LLC disabled which causes a 0.05v increase at load.)

To get above that, I have to increase my V to 1.4 or above which causes to much heat generation. Anything above 4.6GHz will just cause my machine to power off completely at full load well running 3D Mark11. Will the ASUS help or should I just be content with what I have?

I am using a Thermaltake SMART Series 850 Watt powersupply.