Just updated to Falls Creator Update

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Han2K, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    You'd better hold off until nvidia releases a new driver.
    Build 16299.15 (rs3).

EDIT:
    - Cleaned with DDU. Installed driver again. No luck.
    - Repeated operation: DDU. In the middle Windows updated to 16299.19. Installed driver. Performance is back to normal. Weird o_O

EDIT2:
    The issue now comes on and off. When the problem arises the gpu clocks at a max. of 1987Mhz in Time Spy while it clocks at 2076Mhz when it works fine. It seems that reapplying the OC profile in MSI Afterburner fixes the issue temporarily. (Driver ver. 388.00)

EDIT3: Ok, it was all cause by NZXT CAM software wich was messing with GPU.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Updated as in installed over the previous version I take it?

3. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    What driver are you using?

4. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I did I'm not doing clean installs and taking 3 days to get back to normal being doing that for years no problems.

5. blackdragonbird

blackdragonbird Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080Ti
    From my experience, updates over old installations ALWAYS cause issues.

cookieboyeli, Carfax and dr_rus like this.
  6. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    Not necessarily. Evidently there's nothing like a clean install. In my case is a pain in the ass because i have windows heavy tweaked (gpdedit, taskmgr, registry, etc.)

jbmcmillan likes this.
  7. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    I'm not planning to clean install & waiting for the v1709 update to be received.

O&O ShutUp10

8. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    I haven't done a clean install for over a year now. Just been updating to each newer window versions.

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Same, just re-tweaking and re-disabling all the junk after the update.

10. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Its the update, I've been noticing this for weeks now through the insider program and it's not driver specific.

I lost about 1500 3Dmarks in Timespy (non 4K) and that was after completely reinstalling the driver after using DDU.

Made absolutely no difference, although games all feel fine and seem to perform properly.

11. Weesni

Weesni Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3080 M10G
    I got weird desktop lag with FCU. Often the close and open window animation is like 10fps and stutter, i can fix that a while by change resolution to 1080p and back to 4k but i wonder what causes this. This "lag" is also in games or browsing. Anyone knows a fix?

12. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    I have rarely run into issues when installing over the previous set and only see a need to clean install if game/benchmark has performance degradation that is over a nominal margin of error. It does happen occasionally, but if updating is causing that many guaranteed issues for you, I would recommend trying to find the root cause of the issues preventing normal operation of the drivers.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Interesting thought. I'd agree with you if you said this one or two years back but lately I feel that it's enough just upgrading normally (though with clean install most of the time).

14. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I don't understand what this means.

15. boom12a1

boom12a1 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3060XC 12 GB
    So if you guys to a clean install, do you have to re-install all of your games? I know that some will work without re-installing, but many won't.
    Is there a program to back up something so we wouldn't have to re-install those games?

That is one of the reason I'm still dual booting to Win7 and Win10. Too many games to re-install.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Most will, those which won't can usually be fixed by running "verify" from Steam/Origin/Uplay/etc.

17. blackdragonbird

blackdragonbird Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080Ti
    My PC is only for gaming, my work and studies are done in an old Pavilion G4.

I have only Windows 10 Pro x64, nVidia Drivers, Intel Chipset and Sata drivers installed. All other devices use the windows generic or built-in drivers. And obviously steam and 3 or 4 games at a time, nothing else.

When the 1607 update hit, I had issues, like freezes, latency spikes, bluescreens. Same with 1703, same with 1709. Every time I try to update over my old installation it got some issue. For me at least, it's simple and easier to do a clean install, not much to tweak.

18. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Have you tried doing searches for your CPU|Mobo and maybe RAM combo online to see if you get any insight to if it could be a known issue with hardware or software conflicts with Windows? Since you say the issues go away with clean installs that probably rules out actual hardware failure.

What are your specs for CPU/Mobo/RAM/GPU/OS Drive? BIOS updated to either the latest official or beta? Also have you tried both the latest motherboard manufacturer offered drivers and the latest available from Intel, Nvidia, etc? Chipset drivers/software isn't really important anymore, but Intel MEI and SATA drivers can cause major issues that you describe.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Sorry if I wasn't clear but it means that I launch the installer and check the "clean install" box, meaning I do not use DDU.

I think it's good that DDU exists to help users who have problems to do a totally clean install. I suppose that the general rule could be that if a normal install doesn't work, try a clean install and if that doesn't work, try DDU.

20. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ah, but you were replying to a guy who was talking about Windows upgrades, not driver upgrades =)