Just told my boss to shove it...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by ManicOne, Apr 22, 2010.

1. itsb1again

itsb1again Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 285 @ 702
    Dude, everyones job sucks, thats why they made xanax

2. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Speak for yourself! Some of us have found jobs that blow.

3. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    I'll leave it like this: I hope TChas a backup plan in this jacked up economy. If he can afford to quit (savings account, depenmdable family) then so be it. If hedoesn't then he did some tpretty damned stupid. (...bar got me. Forgive my crap spelling
    )

4. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Good for you! If you're good, you'll find a job that suits you. Never work more than you should, nor work for less than you should. hehe.

5. well mate, you could have handeled that a different way. Instead of being upset about it, let it go...at the end of the day is it worth it? If those people where promoted because they knew the boss then let it happen..its best not to get involved. For starters, your boss knew it was wrong and second she wouldnt care what you have to say on the matter.

You would have been better letting it slide and im sure in due time something else would have come up or you might have been able to apply for a different possition. But instead your stiuck without a job and a referance that might be abit sketchy....was it really worth it to vent?

6. Adicto

Adicto Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    Probably true but some people have less patience :banana:

7. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    Just to let you guys know... Quit my 55 grand a year job, and landed a 75 grand one. Sumtimes quittin is da best thing!!!

8. thecake90

thecake90 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    Nice ^^
    Is it in the same field? Is it as fun xD

9. Darth_Sidious

Darth_Sidious Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia 8800 GTS
    What job is it?

10. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    Was a QC analyst in the dairy industry. landed a job as a QA officer for a smallgoods company in Aus. Quite different than wot I'm used to (dairy is primarily QC through testing, meat is more QC through prevention).

11. Wow....awesome story, good luck man you're awesome, man I wish I could stick it to my boss, the only problem is I'd get my a$$ kicked an probably a dishonorable discharge, anyway good luck with the new job an management.

12. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    DannyD's GTX 1080ti
    I got passed over when we had a re-structure at a major co-op society here in the UK. My job got deleted along with someone else's and I had to apply for one that replaced the two positions. Considering that I could already do the job was irrelevant because another employee in the same dept. got it. He got it even before going through the interview process. Why? Because he fitted in. I'm the geek. The quiet one who doesn't go out drinking with everyone on a friday after work. Rather be gaming. So i'm more skilled but nevermind, eh. They wanted the guy who buys a round in. Who found the job very difficult so i heard. Didn't last more than a year before he moved to another job too.

btw - i call this scenario the Baywatch Syndrome. If you don't fit in you ain't getting on the beach.

So during the interview stage for the replacement job I also told them to shove it. I sat there shaking (cos i'm sh!t at confrontations) but I had made a decision and followed it through. In front of two managers and one top dog HR guy no less. I said that 'I had lost my love for this dept'. Yep, I actually spoke those words. I really wanted to say how i really felt, but considering how my body was acting up with the sweats and stuff that was about all i could manage to get out. Thought I was gonna be sick. They must have known something was up. I knew what i was going through would show up physically. Always does in those situations, which i'm now a lot better at.

I took a sideways step to a really boring job, just to stay at the same company. Three months later my new manager virtually pushed me to apply for another job (similar to the one I had) and I got it. I've now been at it for 4 years. My manager wouldn't be able to cope if I got run over on my cycle commute to work. I'm the only guy trained to do the job in the whole of the company. Took six months to learn it. Not just me. It takes anyone six months. So it feels good to be wanted.

The moral of this story is.. the first thing I always think when coming across a situation like yours, Manic One. One door closes, another one opens. Which has happened for you. well done for not accepting an unacceptable situation.

Last edited: May 14, 2010