Just ordered new RAM, I need some tips on timing tweaks please.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Emille, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    So I ordered CMR32GX4M4C3600C18 corsair vengence RGB ram.

I plan to use for a build when icelake comes out but wanted to put it in my pc now and sell my current ram.
    I have changed my dual fan noctua D15 to pull to make room for their height.

But I will need to run the 3600mhz ram likely at 3466mhz and tweak the timings because the quoted max speed of my motherboard is 3466.

Will I even be able to select the XMP as a baseline for tweaking or will it not be available because 3600mhz is above my motherboards max speed. If so, do all the advanced ram timings ( total gibberish acronyms to my eyes ) auto fill based on the general timings?

I want to just click the xmp, then drop the speed and timings back to the 3466 and 16-18-18-36 timings that the kit down from mine has.

I'm just concerned that the system won't work because some finicky advanced setting will require some specific input I don't understand.

If I set 3466mhz and 16-18-18-36 and leave all advanced settings on auto ( which they are currently with my soon to be gone ram ) should that be all I need to do?

Also should I try to see if it wil, boot with the xmp and default 3600mhz or will that potentially be damaging or lead to a crash loop requiring a cmos reset...which is not something I want to deal with

Thanks.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    3600C18 is pretty high as far as timings are concerned.

The go to kits have Samsung B-Die, those are probably hynix or micron judging by timings.
    Samsung is much better regarding timings, overclockability, stability etc.

My 2c, if you can verify your kit isn't samsung B-Die cancel that order and reorder a 3400 kit like this https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-TridentZ-PC4-27200-Platform-F4-3400C16D-32GTZ/dp/B01KKEFQSQ
    That's B-Die kit.

If your kit won't boot with XMP 3600, leave XMP enabled but drop the frequency down and try those primary timings.
    If it boots, you should test stability with linux stressapptest.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme

I've already verified it is B die.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20

5. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    You mean the default 3600mhz even though the mb says 3466mhz max?

Or di motherboards typically go higher than advertised and the ram itself is usually the limit?

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    If I set 3466mhz and 16-18-18-36 and leave all advanced settings on auto ( which they are currently with my soon to be gone ram )+

You said those are your current timings.
    Those will likely work.

Just have to test for memory errors.