Just ordered a ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by max2, Dec 1, 2017.

1. max2

max2 Active Member

Hope I like it!

pharma likes this.
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    It's one of the best you can get for gaming, provided you didn't get a lemon.

max2 likes this.
  3. max2

max2 Active Member

That is true!

4. max2

max2 Active Member

So what am I looking for to see if my monitor is a lemon please? Thanks.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    You would know just by looking at it.

Dead pixels, very bad bleeding(dark images) around bezel, etc.

6. RealNC

RealNC Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Just don't confuse backlight bleed with IPS glow. This monitor is going to have IPS glow, and it's not much different between units.

You can tell IPS glow and BLB apart by changing the angle you look at the screen. BLB stays visible regardless of the angle you look at it. IPS glow disappears when you look at it directly from the front.

So keep in mind that IPS glow is normal. Unfortunately, that also means that if you get a unit with too much BLB, it's going to be more annoying compared to monitors with other panel types, since IPS glow + BLB adds up and becomes an issue.

One thing useful to know with this monitor (and the other monitors with the same or similar panel), is that the best refresh rate to run it on is up to 144Hz. The 165Hz OC is a bit too fast for the panel. It will give you more frames (meaning the monitor is not frame skipping or anything), but image clarity will not improve. You get maximum motion clarity benefits at about 140Hz with this panel. 144Hz really is the "native" refresh rate for this panel. However, 165Hz will not (or at least should not) make anything worse. It's just that going higher than 144Hz will not appear to improve things further.

Other than that, this is one of the best monitors you can get not only for gaming, but also for "normal" use. Also, because of the great viewing angles on this panel, I'd suggest trying a game like Pinball FX in portrait mode. 27" + high refresh rate + high FPS + G-Sync + 1440p + 9:16 aspect ratio = pinball heaven ;-) This is also true for portrait mode arcade games (something like 1943 or Dig Dug with MAME) if you like retro arcade games. Portrait mode on a TN monitor is unusable. On this one, it looks perfect.

To get the most out of g-sync, I'd recommend going through the [https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings]G-Sync 101[/url] article. When you configure everything correctly, g-sync will make all games feel like you just did a GPU upgrade (less stuttering and less input lag.) G-Sync however is not completely "plug&play", which is why it's good to read that article to better understand how/why it works and how to configure and tweak things to get the most out of it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Top3s and The1 like this.
  8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    It’s an outstanding monitor in my opinion and the best I’ve ever owned. Really love G-SYNC too which literally is a game changer if, like me, you were previously stuck with a 60 Hz monitor and stuttering unless games ran at a locked 60 FPS.

I had to request a replacement for mine though (bought from Amazon), not because it was faulty or had backlight bleed but due to it missing the power lead (it uses a format I didn’t have a spare for unfortunately). Amazon would only replace the whole screen not send the lead only. I did test the replacement screen when I got it as it had a newer build date of January 2017 vs. August 2016 of the original but noticed it had backlight bleed in the top corners. It wasn’t terrible but the original screen was much better and doesn’t have any that I’ve noticed so I kept that and returned the newer one.

The only negative is the IPS glow which is visible if like me you play in a darkened room. However, it isn’t something that bothers me as you only really see it when the screen goes completely black, i.e. during loading screens and so on. It’s really not a big deal but given the screen’s £700 price it is a shame it doesn’t have a depolarizer built in (or whatever it is that minimizes IPS glow).

Otherwise an astonishingly brilliant screen with a great user interface too that uses a mini joystick that is just so intuitive to use.

9. max2

max2 Active Member

It is amazing that just because I bought the monitor it is going in back order or out of stock everywhere. Glad I didn't say anything about it until I bought it! :):)