Just got my MSI Evoke 5700 XT..

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by shadex, Oct 8, 2019.

1. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 RTX Trio X
    I am well aware of the issue described in the video. The theory: my air conditioner was turned off at night time is when the problem persist. During the day time when weather gets hot, air conditioner kicks in and I never experienced any issues -- so far. Yeah.. I will have to replace the thermal pads apparently.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    ManofGod likes this.
  2. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 RTX Trio X
    I am going to RMA the video card and get Sapphire Pulse 5700XT instead.

3. Digilator

Digilator Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  4. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 RTX Trio X
    Strange. I decided to install Advanced System Care Pro 12.6 just out of curiosity: rampant green screen of death. Same thing with MSI Afterburner even if I disabled HW access. Any ideas? I am an IT guy here, just.. lol..

Now I am gaming just fine.. 8 hours without crash :\

5. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RX 5700 XT OC
    Try older drivers. I am on 19.7.5. I cannot use newer drivers.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    get anything off the machine that uses CPU ID SDK

(CAM, ASC, HWMon, Corsair Link/iCUE)

7. ManofGod

ManofGod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I have a Reference 5700 that I recently flashed with an XT bios. From day one, the only issue I have had is that 3D Mark 11 would not run correctly, it would only give me a black screen and I had to do a hard reboot. However, I found that once I disabled the hardware scan and selected the card to use, in the program, it worked fine. (Firestrike worked from day one.)

Did you fix the insufficient thermal pad issue with the memory?

8. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 RTX Trio X
    Will look into that. Do you have the link to the driver? AMD should have it, no?

I am getting a replacement in the mail: Geforce 2070 RTX Super. I am not allowed to replaced the memory pad because it will void my warranty.

From my understanding, GPU fan turns off when in desktop mode, correct? If so, how do I force it to turn on at all times? MSI Afterburner is not an option. I just got a black screen when browsing the web. Bah, replacement is needed.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  9. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 RTX Trio X
    Strange. I downgraded the driver to 19.7.5 and my blackscreen issue is resolved. All of my desktop issues are gone, so far.

WTF AMD..

10. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RX 5700 XT OC
    Please post here so maybe by the New Year we get proper working drivers.

11. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 RTX Trio X
    Well.. yeah.. I just played Ghost Recon: Breakpoint and still get green screen of death, mainly because of outdated driver. 19.10.1 resolved that issue tho. I had to revert back to 19.7.5 due to other reason and game compatibility. Reverting back to Nvidia when my replacement arrives today.

12. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 RTX Trio X
    There's a user on AMD forum that might provide a permanent fix:

I wasn't able to get GR: Breakpoint up and running due to green screen of death - that's a driver issue. All other games I was able to run just fine. Although I cannot confirm if this fix is the root cause.

EDIT: nevermind. I keep getting green screen of death. ChillEnabled fix didn't fix the issue; and setting the power limit % to 50% (only able to get it to 20%) didn't do it for me either.

Oh well. Nvidia graphic card is arriving today. YAY!

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Yeah the driver situation from all I've picked up goes from bad to worse though it works just fine for a lot of users too or at least the non-critical issues aren't happening and then a lot of other users run into problems.
    No crashes in Breakpoint though but it's 19.7.5 or nothing from tests so far and being aware of just how much is currently non functional or not working as intended in the current drivers and then re-testing or reading up on this and the current status whenever a new driver comes out, still liking the hardware but it's impossible to recommend Navi with the driver situation as it is.

Or it could just work but if anything happens it's time to decide to either wait how the driver situation will end up (Not exactly fun or you might end up on drivers a few months old.) or RMA the GPU and test something else which would mean the 2070 somewhere on NVIDIA's side depending on pricing and availability far as price/performance goes.

Maddness and MaCk0y like this.
  14. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Active Member

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    So, lads, it turns out that you need a 650 Watt PSU minimum and it HAS to be Gold rated. Or you will get your monitor telling you there is no signal and Windows crashing then restarting itself. I have an 850 Watt Bronze rated which was fine for several cards in the past. Oh, not the 5700 XT though. No sir you need your PSU to be top tier.

Tell me why my costs have exceeded the price of a 2070 Super? Yeah because I just splashed out extra for a Gold rated PSU that's why. I should have bought a 2070 Super in the first place if this PSU thingy is the case. It sure explains why some people (probably with Gold rated PSU's) are not having any issues while many of us are.

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    I'd make sure by testing it a bit over the next few days unless you have already, I'm on a Corsair 1200 and past 19.8.2 it causes temporary black screens (Restarting just the driver works.) and for 19.10.1 it causes at least one shutdown and restart per day so 19.7.5 for now. (19.8.1 and on causes a display cursor corruption, minor but still a thing.)

Far as power draw goes the GPU is pulling 100 - 150w depending on clock speeds and overall load or at least that's what gets reported so plus another 20w something then for the total thus quite a bit less than the Vega 56 though I was pushing it pretty hard whereas that's no longer required for Navi.
    (It can boost higher if you let it but it might not be able to maintain the higher boost so lowering the power draw down was more efficient.)

EDIT: As to the PSU it was cheap and I figured just go for max and give it room to work with as required plus I expected power requirements and draw to actually go up, not decrease. :D
    (And then it can keep around 50 - 60% load and operate nicely around there but yeah it's kinda over the top but eh it's been good thus far.)

EDIT: Surges, ripples and cabling do factor in though, I'm no expert on how that all works though if the PSU could power Polaris or Vega then Navi shouldn't be different.
    (Vega at least I think the card was 2x 8-pin even whereas this is 2x 6-pin.)

EDIT: Or this back in the 390 gen.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/powercolor-radeon-r9-390-x2-devil13-dual-gpu-graphics-card.402243/

Granted that's one of AMD's let's see I believe last attempted dual GPU's so technically a Crossfire sandwich. :p
    (Well kinda, 2x 390 GPU's on a larger mirrored PCB so 2x the power requirements as well.)

[​IMG]

3x 8-pin has been a thing though at least for some of the non-reference board designs, Navi with 2x 8-pin I guess we'll see with the 5800 if it's going to be a actual thing before Navi20 next year.
    (Might also make for a 8 and 6 pin but I would think the card would go with 2x 8 pin but we shall see.)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019

16. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RX 5700 XT OC
    Yeah no. PSU is not the issue. I had a EVGA Supernova G2 850W Gold dedicated to the RX 5700XT to test. It was the only thing plugged into the PSU and the rest of the system was on another PSU. And it still black screened and system froze. It's the drivers. That's all it is. I never had the issue happen once on 19.7.5 and I am overclocked. After that, it's a complete mess.

17. Paul L

Paul L Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700XT
    Have to say my 5700xt Pulse runs fine on my old Enermax 620w.

EDIT + Additonal info.
    The PSU I have :- Enermax EPR625AWT

I've had no problems with windows 10 as I upgraded the CPU, MOBO, RAM & GPU. It just all worked without having to reinstall windows :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  18. Paul L

Paul L Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700XT
    After looking around & reading about the 5700XT Pulse on
    https://www.igorslab.media/en/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-pulse-review-navi-with-certain-vibrations/
    I came across the following in the reviews Power Consumption & PSU Recommendation page 6

"As I already proved in detail in my basic article “The fight of graphics card against power supply – power consumption and load peaks demystified”, there are also short-term higher loads in the millisecond range, which can already lead to inexplicable shutdowns in unfavourably designed or not appropriately equipped power supplies. The TBP (Typical Board Power) measured by the graphics card manufacturer or the reviewers alone does not really help here for a stable design of the system."

&

"Peaks with intervals between 1 and 10 ms can lead to shutdowns with very fast reacting protective circuits (OPP, OCP), especially with multi-rail power supplies, even though the average power consumption is still within the standard. For this card I would therefore calculate with almost 300 watts for the graphics card as such, in order to have sufficient reserves in case of emergency. A short excerpt with higher resolution now shows us the 20 ms intervals, how I let them run automatically to determine the value:"

Maybe this is where a lot of the random crashing stems from?

19. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    Having a top tier PSU in your system is not a loss. I had many problems in the past with different products ranging from GPU to MB because i was using an average PSU and after a while i decided to spend more on PSU when building a new computer. My current computer has a 850W gold PSU by Thermaltake. Is it overkill? Probably. Will i avoid problem in the future? More than likely. A cheap PSU can actually shorten the lives of your computer parts even if they are working correctly with it. Also dunno about USA but in Canada the price difference between the 5700 XT and 2070 Super after taxes is around 150$ which is around 50$ more than a SeaSonic Focus Gold 750W PSU (a very very good modular PSU).

Hypernaut likes this.
  20. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    My 2009 desktop system has a Cooler Master Silent Gold 1200 PSU, which still works masterfully. Only thing I had to do was replace the fan.

Hypernaut and K.S. like this.