Just dropped 25k in RIMM stock

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by gerardfraser, Jan 18, 2013.

1. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    Well you got that wrong, they didn't hit that and are now 13

Funny you didn't say that when you bought them and you didn't sell just before the release!

You might be a genius going against what everybody in this thread has advised but personally I think they have more sense than money. Let's revisit this thread in 6months or a year!

2. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    In dollars, me. If you dont burn it on hardware, money quantities usually increases :)

But you dont just drop into stock, you review and follow what you buy, playing lottery is not my kind of game :3eyes:

NEVER, EVER get too blind with a company, companies do not go better because "you feel it" or "you trust them".

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I would never have bought shares like this but I wish the OP good luck with his purchase. I'm thinking of having a small fund, say £1,000, to play around with shares. However, I will do plenty of reading and research first. :D

4. southamptonfc

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    A bag of sand isn't very much to play with if you want to try to spread your risk. The reason is trading fees are typically in the region of £10-£15 + stamp duty. So if you buy £200 of shares, your initial cost could be £215 meaning you are down 7.5% immediately. I think trading costs can be a lot lower in an equity ISA and there's probably no reason to not be using one. Even though it's riskier, I would be tempted to go with 1 or 2 stocks with that amount of cash.

My recommendation with stocks is try to stick with areas that you know and use your mk1 eyeballs, they are often better than the city boys stuck in their trading rooms all day. A couple of examples:

For the last couple of years, pretty much everyone I know buys their stuff at Sports Direct (does that make me chav? ) so I thought it would be a good investment and it has turned out well.

When I went to several countries in Asia (including China) last year I noticed everyone was on Samsungs and it was obvious that Apple was on borrowed time. I told my friend to sell his Apple stock at 700 but he hung on, he's still hanging on and just like RIMM, I can't see any way back in the medium or long term. ARM have been a good UK stock to invest in as a result (+30% in the last year or so).

If you're looking for growth stocks, we do hi-tech well in the UK, examples are ARM, Pace Micro, Delcam, Renishaw, Rollys Royce

5. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    somehow I think OP isn't serious. Anyone with a brain wouldn't dump that kind of money into RIMM stock. It's not going to hit 20 lol.

6. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It depends on your play,

LONG TERM bad.

SHORT /MIDDLE Term , if next phone makes the hype for a t least 3 months
    profit is there

The thing is , the short term is always a risky call.

If I ahd money, id put it on stock or bonds, that pay little buth wo/ much risk
    it's like looking for savings on the stock market, paying more then regular banks
    thtas the more conservative call
    other than that, might burn your pants

7. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    tight call, you might not wait that long

8. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    The breaking point for rim stock was speculation and hype. Anyone could see this. Now we will see their stock fluctuate up and down. Today your up 21 cents, but in the last week we have seen the stock dump from 18'ish to now low 13's. You're lucky to see it go up to about 15 or 16 again..

Like I said, I don't think the OP is serious... Anyone who dumps this kind of money is usually smart enough to have a finiancial investor.

Are you sure you didn't dump 25k on one of those "fake" stock programs.. I remember doing that in high school lol.

9. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well lets put it this way.Do not want to sound like an *******.Rimm is not my first kick at the can,and for me 55k is not that much and I may go more.Its a Canadian company and I am supporting them.
    It impossible for me to lose money on this.When you take all factors into account.
    I am still hoping for big gains lol

10. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Good luck man. I've always considered dabbling a little in shares just to see what its all about.

11. southamptonfc

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    So OP, do you still have your Blackberry stock?

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Blackberry is still a dying company. Even the Board of Directors for Blackberry are finally starting to realize this even though they're not ready to admit it yet.

13. Skyline1010

Skyline1010 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650Ti Boost
    Cool, the OP "has" money. Moving on...

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    fixed that for you

15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    What a waste of money. There are other companies out there that offer a far better investment.

16. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx2080 superXS
  17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    That article is almost a year old. They improved a little bit after the new OS was released and the new phones are somewhat nice but they can't compete with Android and iOS

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Well when your majority shareholder steps down from the board and your CEO is talking about selling, that right there should tell you something.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    They're supposedly considering several options. Selling is just one of those options.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC