Just cheated on nvidia for the first time.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by proliferazor, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I know its impressive, thats why they said they were underwhelmed by it i guess, they were probably not expecting the 7970 to be so poor, but with their rumoured high-end card now coming around August, it gives AMD another chance, as they are bound to have something for that.

If Nvidia could have got their proper high-end card out now, AMD would have been totally ******, as it would have no doubt decimated the 7970.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    the 7970 is only poor price wise.

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

uhmmm because
    Company is not making money by selling...later.

this is GF100 based

BigK in Quadro SKU would be selling for $6000+

4. head

head Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    So AMD should just call the 7970 medium, start some rumours that they have a very good chip but had some problems and it will be read in half a year...

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    LOL yeah, Tahiti will then REALLY start selling like hotcakes :rolleyes:

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah, just took advantage, had the fastest card for a few months.

Would have only sold like hotcakes if it was a Nvidia card.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    GK110 was on the "leaked" road maps from the start.....was supposed to be for dual GPU cards.... According to rumors, nVidia delayed the "real" GTX680 in favor of essentially a massively overclocked GK104 based GTX680 due to manufacturing problems. nVidia denies such rumors, but admits to "issues" with manufacturing causing the delay of the GTX680's launch. nVidia is blaming TSMC for not being able to produce the chips fast enough according to an otherwise unrelated article.

8. crap daddy

crap daddy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    Get over it. GTX680 is the top performing single GPU card for NV and the best card on the market right now. It doesn't matter what's inside. No other faster single GPU will be launched in the foreseeable future by NV. A dual GK104 will proly be out after the 7990 to spoil again AMD's party. The big GK will power Teslas, quadros and HPCs and will flex it's muscles in the next generation of cards.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    nVidia needs something with more power than GK104 for Tesla as it's GPGPU performance is pathetic when compared to GF110. Also, GK110 is rumored to be launching in August. AMD has 2 "high-end" launches left according to rumors.

10. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Ok so now every new card nvidia launches will be 499 and up? This makes no sence. Give me some links with some real evidence. Not reviewers speculating.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    you sure gpgpu performance is not capped on desktop cards? are there even any tesla cards based on gk104. maybe tesla cards is going to be based on full keper? and sell for like $6000 bucks lol

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    According to nVidia, GK104 based GTX680 IS their "high-end" card (hense the launch as such). GK110 was on the "leaked" road maps that started appearing numerous months ago. nVidia admitted to manufacturing "issues", but won't say what kind of "issues", only that these "issues" are why GTX680 launched late. The only "speculation" is GK110. The rest has been confirmed. The GK104 GPU is in fact slower than GF110 in GPGPU operations (Cuda & OpenCL based applications). The only cards that will be priced above $499....will be cards positioned for the "high-end" market. Anything positioned below GTX680 will be priced below $499.

I wouldn't expect to see a Tesla card until the refresh GPU's are ready. Since nVidia is the one that started the push for GPGPU (including claiming that the "Era of the CPU is over")...it wouldn't make sense for them to suddenly do an "about face" by crippling their flagship card to the point of being slower than their previous mid-range card "clock for clock" (less efficient).

Since most companies aren't going to flock to a new "Tesla" card on launch day....they have time to prep a proper processor for it. If rumors are correct about GK110, it's 300watt TDP makes GK104 a better competitor for the HD7970 on a "performance per watt" stance as GK110 would have to be nearly 300% better performance than GK110 to meet the "performance per watt" claim that nVidia made for Kepler. In the HPC market though, I doubt a 300watt TDP will make much of a difference in sales as long as it performs as claimed.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  13. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    I missed the part about a 7950 costing $376.86. I read his opinion as you must spend at least $376.86 to get a good video card. Here is a link of a good video cards for around that price. After mail-in rebate.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125364

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I am pretty sure he was referring to amd cards as he did not like the thought of nvidia having the best card on the market but thanks anyways. I reread those posts he was referring to the 7950 when I asked for links on that price, he said you can buy 1 used for that price. or depending on store

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    damn 370$ for the 580 not bad

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I would not recommend a card that came out in 2010 but that price is decent and it still a hell of a performer

17. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    The 680 would have been the better choice.

BUT....

I understand the desire to have more V-ram.
    AMD does pack thier cards with more V-ram.(so far)... I believe the more v-ram you got the longer the card will last..preformance wise with newer games.

I made a mistake once upgrading from a 256 meg (X700) card to a faster 256 meg (X1950) card... that amount of memory was definately saturated quickly and i didnt notice a huge gain. My newer games were still not playable at max. I was instantely not happy with my preformance.

I definately did make a decision: I cant upgrade unless i at minimum double or tripple my "useable v ram" (crossfire and SLI totals dont count)

There are reasons to choose the AMD flavour (other than the ram thing) but for normal people it would NOT be the normal choice (to go with AMD 7970/7950 at the moment).

My next card will have 6 or 9 gigs of useable v-ram. Either Nvidia or ATI. (most likely Nvidia) You may smirk but its coming faster than you think.

However the 680 is a faster card and there are rumers of a 4 gig model coming out...... so If i were me now (with no vid card) and i would have got neither the 7970/7950 or 680 2 gig... Its never a good time to buy a video card... lol

18. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

wrong??? I just dont uninstall the drivers, just doing that, alot of left overs, like I said, nvidia never gives me this problem.

no matter how you uninstall the ati drivers, next time you install no matter what drivers it is, usually a bsod during install.

ok then, run it down for me, more then likely I have already done it. run it down for me pls so both of us can make it perfectly clear, thanks.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The only time I've had problems installing ATI/AMD drivers, is when I've uninstalled them and ran driver sweeper. It never fails....every time I run driver sweeper, I have problems until I reinstall Windows.

20. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    It is only when your pushing 2560x1600 with X4aa + that you will see a difference in fps with more ram on your card.

Cards of 1gb - 2gb are enough for everygame out today.

Hopefully unreal 4 engine and the recently updated cryengine all with better tesselation and texture throughput will start using more and more ram.

As for kepler.

It's the mid range card that's out atm, but performs for the most part on top of ati's top end, although in some benchmarks,games still favor ati.

It's pricey, but With newer drivers and games taking advantage of some of it's features, it's a sweet card.

They still need to drop the price, but i'm sure other nvidia cards will drop price, maybe pick up one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjhM_xc6Yes

Can't wait to see the rest,lol