Just Cause 3 Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Boy, does this game need another patch.

I was playing it last night and after liberating yet another town (that seems to feature identical buildings and structures to the other six or seven I've freed), the game decided it was time for the grappling hook to stop working, which mean LB no longer did anything on my Xbox One controller yet all the other buttons worked fine. Even when I quit to the main menu and continued it was still broken. I had to actually exit the game and reload it to fix it.

On top of the erratic performance I am seeing; basically at 1920x1200 there are times, particularly while driving, where the framerate will drop below 60 fps (so downsampling from higher resolutions a la Mad Max to improve IQ is out of the question here), the Global Illumination bug and the stuff like falling through the top of buildings and getting stuck there, this game feels to me like an unfinished beta release.

Oh and lest I not forget the intrusive loading screens that pop up at the start of every mission and the longer ones when you die. I did one of those Helicopter Challenges at an enemy base (you have to do as much damage as possible in a certain amount of time) and failed it because I jumped out by mistake. However, when I selected retry the damn game had to reload everything again, taking 10-15 seconds, even though I had not caused any damage!!! Why could it not just restart immediately since all the assets were already loaded?!? :3eyes:

2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Just turn it off for now. That's what I've done. It adds very little to the game IMO other than obviously distracting amounts of flickering at the moment!

Also, the performance hit for using it is very noticeable. Turn it off I *can* run the game at 2560x1600 @ 1920x1200 DSR and still maintain mostly 60 fps. However, I still see some odd dips, usually when there's very little actually going on such as just driving a car down a mostly empty road. I think the console versions of this game are not the only ones that are not properly optimised and that it is the fact that I have a moderately decent machine that I even manage 60 fps at 1920x1200 with maxed out settings. Even on those settings, there is still very obvious pop in of smaller details and shadows which kind of look like they're using lower settings.

3. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Avalanche Details Differences Between Mad Max & Just Cause 3 Engines

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/avalanche-details-differences-between-mad-max-just-cause-3-engines/

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Have your overclocked your card? I thought a 980Ti OC would be able to hold 80fps.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I was playing the PS4 version yesterday and besides the grass along the sides of the road having a draw distance of, literally, 3 feet, I noticed that it had a very bitty appearance, like it was using fake transparencies (I remember Saints Row using this technique for windows in cars).

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    No its running stock right now. Not really a need to OC it.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Allright thanks, good to know that there some room for improvement if I'd get the game someday.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  9. x-speed69

x-speed69 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning
    15.8 BETA.

But now I got a strange problem...Vsync ON game is locked in 30fps all the time, before today it was locked at 60 or close to it depending what was happening on the screen o_O

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I had that issue when I raised the resolution from 1920x1200 to 2880x1800 (the resolution I play Mad Max at) on first playing the game.

At first I thought it was due to the lack of triple (aka extra) buffer support but it seems it is a bug. Switching back to 1920x1200 fixed it and I play the game at 2560x1600 using DSR at mostly 60 fps. The fact it doesn't dip down to 30 fps when it goes below 60 fps confirms that the 30 fps issue before was a bug.

Damn it though, even at 2880x1800 using DSR the image quality in this game is remarkably poor will jagged edges still very noticeable whether I use FXAA, SMAA or SMAA T2X. In fact, AA set to Off barely looks much different! Is the AA bugged in this game or something? Everything from mid-distance outwards looks very aliased on my system. :3eyes:

Although, some people dislike it due to the blurring, I wish this game had TXAA or TAA support to smooth out those jaggies and reduce the distracting shimmering during motion. Funny how anti-aliasing has actually taken a step backwards since MSAA was dropped in favour of post-process methods...

11. x-speed69

x-speed69 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning
    Changing the resolution did nothing for me.
    If I turn off v-sync in game and then set fps lock @60 from another program then in game fps is ok but of course i get tearing and it's unplayable :mad:

Also I tested if forcing CF on would help but that was a big mistake, massive flickering and even worse fps was the result...

Maybe I try my luck with the newest drivers.

12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Game is an utter joke, who decided that almost everything you do in this game requires some form of online authentication? What utter moron decided that this single player game needs to try to connect to the internet every single time you open the map? What moron added the go offline mode at the start when you first boot the game only for it to then override this decision and try to go back on line every single time you open the map? Who thought it was a great idea for it to utterly freeze the game, like you've hit the pause button, and then flsh a big trying to connect to servers message... probably the same idiot who is running the Squaresoft servers which don't seem to actually work... at all.

What little I did play of the game seemed fun enough, ran well and looked pretty good but this online b*llsh*t is just unacceptable (or more specifically theway it has been rail roaded in to thsi game in such a p*ss poor fashion.)

Now I'll admit this is a rant, I just started playing the game I just wanted to jump in have a few hours of fun on a lazy Saturday Evening and as such haven't looked in to any options to resolve this issue, saying that choosing the great big f*cking 'GO OFFLINE' option when I first booted the game should be all the solution I should have required.

Right here and right now this is looking like a refunder.

Yup this game is getting refunded,

Okay so resolving the online part doesn't work from any option in game, the closest I could get was to go in to the options and disable the extended leaderboards option, that seemed to kill the games need to go online everytime you hit TAB. However this game REALLY wants to be online, hit pause and leave the game for a few minutes and it attempts to go online, even if you select offline mode, it STILL tries to get online.

The only solution that I could find that kills online totally is to block the games .exe from your firewall. THAT does work however literally the first mission and the games already bugged. To unlock the first mission I have to liberate some town called Manea, I managed this and while trying to do the last bit 'raise the flag' I ended up grabbing some armoured car, and ended up getting killed. The game then tries to go back online again so I alt-tab out and kill the game from Task Manager (this was before I had blocked the game using my firewall.)

After blocking the game from going online I reload go to Manea again to find that the town is indicating as being 100% liberated, only thing is the mission that requires you to liberate the town still tells me that I need to liberate the town for the mission to unlock.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I just blocked outgoing connections in the Windows firewall for the game exe, a few seconds after the intro sequence it fails to connect and I can choose offline play and won't be bothered by the game again, will be useful until they patch in a working offline option. :)

14. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    anyone tried mad max sli profile with this?

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    yes does not work. I tried AFR and AFR2 and both resort to massive texture flickering.

16. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Wth am i supposed to do against those airstrikes at the center base on the first island? :p every 10 seconds it rains down with missles

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have the same problem...but I have not blocked the game from being online. Spent two hours looking around tonight to see if I'd missed something but the entire area is shown in blue and every town is listed as liberated! :3eyes:

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The central operations command HQ is always protected by a "FOW" which in this case is a airstrike, after a certain number of missions have been completed for the current act a grayed out mission should appear on the map, once you've liberated three or so regions of the current island it will unlock and the "war" missions will begin where you'll ultimately disable the defenses and then destroy the HQ. :)

EDIT:

Could be a bug but are you sure you haven't missed a smaller outpost or a oilrig? the second island chain has I think it was two oilrigs you also have to disable and the first island chain has a far away fortress you also need to take out for the whole area to be liberated.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  19. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Ah so i need to continue with the story? I already freed all regions on the 1st island, the center base is the last one.

Thx :)

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Will check...thanks.

The online disconnections, though few, are annoying when they happen. It wouldn't be so bad if the game stayed offline when you choose that option but it STILL keeps trying to go online whenever you look at the map. And you have to look at the map because the game has NO on-screen mini-map!!! :bang: