Just Cause 3 Engine Incompatible with SLI/CFX ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 2, 2015.

1. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Thankfully I can't run 4K at all.

2. Groovy-Music

Groovy-Music Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    ONE of the FIRST game I could enjoy my first crossfire setup in 2010 was Just Cause 2 FFS!!! And they had a demo we could download to enjoy the graphics and performance prior of buy it! And now I pre-ordered Just Cause 3 thinking it would most probably having the same support! :thumbdown

3. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Well, please bother and explain how it is dumb.

We've been stuck with DX9 games for ages for the very same reason of console-orientation of developers - they do not want to spend time and resources on what they see as a non-core segment of market.
    So, if you know how implementation of sole (non-SLI\Crossfire) AMD-exclusive GPU in consoles helps multi-GPU PC setups, please enlighten me.

Please note, I am not pushing for AMD-blaming game, I am just looking past this multi-GPU issue of "Just Cause 3" - to the root cause (or at least the higher-level issue)... and if we continue to follow this logic - we can safely start blaming Microsoft and Sony for decisions they made some 5-7 or whatever years ago (while designing current-gen consoles)...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  4. Flacid Monkey

Flacid Monkey Guest

GPU:
    980GTX
    I think you mean 1998 when the first voodoo link was released, funny thing is everything worked with it as far as I can remember.

Some games didn't support 3dfx glide so open gl was used and in extreme cases software (lmao, who remembers running quake or carma2 in software?)

Did we bitch about it? No, we played the games and loaded up our sega megadrive to pass the install time.

5. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
  6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The 4K article hasn't been updated since 7XX series. I have a few friends that play tons of games at 4K on a single 980Ti. SLI is definitely not required for 4K. There are other titles on the same page that show SLI as advertised. There is no where that Nvidia advertised SLI for Just Cause 3, which is what Undying was implying (lol rhymes).

Also:

https://newq.net/dl/pub/SA2014Practical.pdf

There ya go -- for all the people who say it's the same engine, no changes, etc. They literally rewrote the entire lighting system specifically JC3 and used a cluster deferred rendering technique, which is essentially the same thing UE4 is using, and is not compatible with AFR Multi-GPU setups as it requires previous frame data.

7. whitestar127

whitestar127 Guest

GPU:
    Have you guys seen the article on Wccftech?
    sli-ight-confusion-with-sli-in-just-cause-3-its-definitely-possible-nvidia-employee-mispoke

Sorry, I don't have permission to post links. But it's on the front page.

8. Dellers

Dellers Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti Trio
    I'll jump in and comment on this. SLI has been changed to DirectX 11 since yesterday. SLI was listed two different places on their page then. No one is making anything up.

That being said, I wonder what the hell they did to the engine that would make sure SLI/CF wouldn't work. Everything else using Avalanche's engine(s) has great SLI support, so it just seems weird to suddenly come out with a game that doesn't.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    The Gaming Industry needs a GIANT kick in the ass, they get Lazy and keep getting away with it.

We shouldn't have to deal with this bull**** any longer.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I knew im not crazy. Thank you for clearing that up for him. Next time he wont make an assumptions like that and maybe stop insulting.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk, I can't find a single place where Nvidia advertised SLI support.

And I posted the PDF where they detailed the changes in lighting:
    https://newq.net/dl/pub/SA2014Practical.pdf

Again it's possible for them to work around it and get SLI working, it just requires more chances to the system.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/21746/does-the-ue4-engine-support-sli.html

UE4 has the same issue.

Him saying that it was there yesterday and it's not today doesn't really mean anything to me.

Also I just want to point out that Rainbow 6 Siege came out yesterday, supports SLI + number of gameworks features and it runs great on both Nvidia/AMD hardware. So yeah, this isn't like some grand Nvidia conspiracy.

12. blackdog62

blackdog62 Member

GPU:
    2 Gigabyte R9 290X
    I have to agree that Nvidia isn't to blame on this,neither is AMD. It's developers that have to include multi gpu support. While multi gpu users are fewer than single card users they still know there are a huge amount of gamers that have them. Consoles are the culprit due to their high numbers but it shouldn't mean we pc gamers get shafted.

13. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    again.....peeps attacking a GFX card manufacturer instead of the team that intentionally developed thier game a specific way.

I can honestly say that if you are not with the times and are still buying day one games then that is your fault...

Just think that if every person just did not buy the game for the first week at a minimum then developers would have to ensure their ****e was on point. Fearing of a complete loss in sales, but that would never happen as the zombie nation that is now just keeps on keeping on with supporting garbage and buying into it all.....

14. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT
  15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Does that work for you? I actually tried looking at the cache, before I even made my initial post.

http://i.imgur.com/5DfFz2o.png

I get a 404 when I click it though. If it does indeed have SLI listed, then I guess I apologize. It's just hard to believe anything Undying says when he has that avatar as his picture and constantly posts about how Nvidia is downgrading everything. Couple that with me going to to the site, not seeing SLI, then searching http://www.cachedpages.com/ -- I could only conclude that he's carrying out some weird agenda again.

But if it does indeed list SLI, then again, I apologize.

I don't know what other problems JC3 is having -- but I mean SLI/Crossfire support shouldn't really be a deal breaker (in terms of boycotting a game). I get that it kind of sucks, but if the trade off is a 30-40% boost in single GPU rendering due to some new technique, then I think the trade is worth it. There are significantly more people with single card setups than dual cards. And while I agree with people that dual card users are generally the people who spend the most money, I don't think that everyone else should have to be held back because of them.

16. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Imagine running an Intel IGP in CF/SLI/whatever it may be called. :nerd:

17. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT
    No need for apologies. And yes Undying loves to stir the pot.

I don't know whats up with the internet culture in general as of late, very negative. And I'm not referring to you brother.

Edit: sometimes to get cached links to work you have to change the country designation, ie it ends in 'ca' change to 'us'.

18. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I agree....I do, but I do not understand why support was truly lost. Having a heavier working/modified engine with more going on as per effects and background rendering creates an improvement in performance for single cards only? How is this even measured and on what hardware?

I think that SLI is a selling point in most aspects, but seems to be lately all I read is how it is such a POS and there is less and less support for it. Why would you not want more (possible) performance built into your game to help sell more hardware that was worth said increase. Hell it could actually sell more of your games since people with aging hardware could get that proverbial bump in performance by purchasing another card or two......given that support was THERE......

I was not entirely referring to JC3 for not purchasing a game the first week, just in general if a company has a complete failure of a launch I believe they should inherently pay for their negligence.

I could not agree more..... I still can not believe that the best of gaming on PC seems to have truly come and gone for the true extreme enthusiasts...

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I linked the PDF that described the changes in lighting rendering system. They detail the performance increases under workloads in it. It lowered CPU cost by about 30-50% for lighting and in heavy lighting workloads it sped up the GPU performance by nearly 5x. (Note this is for lighting, not over the entire engine)

Pages 47/48.

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    EDIT: Wrong thread.