Just Cause 2 low FPS

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by blackfloyd, Sep 16, 2010.

1. blackfloyd

blackfloyd Member

GPU:
    GTX 580
    Just Cause 2 + GTX 480 = low FPS !?

With my new gtx 480 I get low framerates when playing Just Cause 2. Something wrong but I don't know what. Below is the Tower benchmark result, as you can see fps is very low and it never goes over 40 with these settings. (I disabled 30-60 fps cap) I have the latest patch installed and using Nvidia 260.63 drivers with Windows 7 64 bit.

I disabled AA, Af or similar settings from Nvidia control panel, and set to "Let the application decide".

[​IMG]

With other games I have no problems like this. During benchmark my CPU (Q6600@3 ghz) usage was between %30-%50.

Why is my CPU usage is so low and is it the one causing low FPS? Or my gtx 480 is troubled somehow?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti 1965/21.4G
    You may want to give that Q6600 a little more power up to 3.2 or even 3.6 (highest i got my old one though).

You can also try this as a diagnostic option to MAYBE get all cores of your cpu to work (peoples believes this speeds ups boots times ands sometimes its beens a littles snappiers fors mes toos, but it doesnt matter much).

Go to Start>Run (if you have the run command in your start menu)>Msconfig>Boot tab> Advanced Options and then change your processors to 4 in the dropdown menu. this may let windows 7 find 4 cores next time on boot.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  3. blackfloyd

blackfloyd Member

GPU:
    GTX 580
    Thanks for the advice but windows utilizes both cores without a problem. When playing the game all 4 cores working but total CPU usage never goes over %55 and that's maybe the problem. I monitored CPU and GPU usage from my G15's screen; GPU usage was around %70-95.

I tired Mafia 2 and Batman AA, and both of them gives good performance. Mafia uses CPU up to %90 for example.

In Just Cause 2 if I lower the settings except the resolution, FPS and CPU usage rises. So I thought that maybe because of some bug, game doesn't take advantage of my CPU well enough.

About overclocking the CPU; my CPU is from the bad Q6600 series and it needs so much voltage to go that clocks. Without a water cooler this is the best clock that my cpu can do.

Actually I don't mind how big the FPS is, but when I tried to use 3D vision with these settings game became a nightmare.

I hope someone has an answer for this problem.

4. blackfloyd

blackfloyd Member

GPU:
    GTX 580
    After lots of different settings and combination, I believe I found the problem; Bokeh filter and GPU Water Simulation. When these settings disabled cpu usage raised up to %90, and as you can see in the below image FPS doubled.

[​IMG]

As you know many web sites and official Eidos forums advice to turn of these settings to gain more FPS for cards below gtx 480, but in my condition the strange thing is if I enable this settings CPU usage drops. And one strange thing after disabled these two settings, GPU usage increased too (know GPU usage is mostly at %99)

PS: Forgot to mention; in first image AA is 8x, but in the second one it is 4x, it makes almost no diffrerence to the FPS.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    For some reason "High Res Shadows" eats a lot of fps and causes a tiny stutter when driving fast. That's the only thing I disabled. I'm loving GPU water simulation due to how good it looks.

6. blackfloyd

blackfloyd Member

GPU:
    GTX 580
    I like it too, but because of the weird problem of my system, I have to disable it. :bang:

7. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX465 1Gb Dual Fan
    I think your initial results are fine, I have the same CPU as you except the dual core version rather than quad, these are the results I get with a GTX465:

[​IMG]

Kindest regards

Zoozer

8. DeadLine

DeadLine Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD7970 Ghz
    That weird my other system got two 465 in sli and doesnt have the option bokeh filter and gpu water simulation :S

9. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 Ulltra
    When i turn SLI off the option appears.

10. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Hi there I tested a 480GTX with E8500 at 4.0GHZ and the game maxed seems fine.It could just be your CPU and its a shame you can not get it a little higher.

JustCause2 2
    DirectX 11 enabled
    32x CSAA
    16 Anisotropic filtering

All image quality settings enabled at maximum[/COLOR]No real bottleneck here.
    MIN:
    AVG:52.98
    MAX:

[​IMG]

11. DeadLine

DeadLine Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD7970 Ghz
    Ah oke ty ^^

12. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI FE
    Turn off GPU simulated Water and you get 20 FPS more ;0)