Just Bought a brand new POV GTX275 Joker Edition.Was it a (un)wise decision?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by JUJUKOS, Oct 3, 2009.

1. JUJUKOS

JUJUKOS New Member

GPU:
    POV 8800GTS 512
    Hi everyone !
    Yesterday i was at a local computer store with a friend of mine because he wanted to buy a new hard drive , so i went along in order to help him decide which one to buy (he considers me an "expert":whip:) . I had no intention to buy anything for myself because my PC works great and i play all the games i like maxed out (except Crysis of course but who cares-btw i 'm using an LG F900P CRT 19'' at 1600x1200 ) . So , i see a Point Of View GTX275 priced at 199 € with Batman Arkham Asylum free download coupon on a shelf and having bought POV graphics cards twice in the past (6800 Ultra and 8800GTS 512) with no problems i decided to buy it - the definition of impulse buy ! (what was i thinking?:bang:-or was i even thinking?:stewpid:) . Knowing the manager got me a 20 € discount so i bought it for 179 € . I had to lie to my girlfriend when i got back by saying that i got it for my friend along with his new HDD (Seagate 7200.12 1TB for 78 €) . Well , he covered for me but the problem is that i still can' t understand why i made that rash decision :bonk: it has never happened to me in the past - with PC parts anyway :nerd:.
    By the way , the card works great - it' s quiet and cool and my games play perfectly . EXACTLY like before with my trusty 8800GTS 512 which lasted me for 2 years , well maybe with a few more fps and i like to believe better visuals :giggle2: yeah right!
    I KNOW i did not need to buy it and i had decided to wait until GT300 was out but i did buy it and i would like to know if something similar has happened to you . Did i waste 179 € :confused: ?
    All thoughts welcome !

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Would have been smarter to wait for g300 but I would not call that bad deal. Perhaps skip first g300 cards and get something later when Nvidia releases more cards.

But it would have also been smarter to hold with my SLI 8800GTX rather than get SLI GTX285 :D
    Can happen to everyone, not a problem. 179€ skip 3 nights out with friends and you have saved that much.

Seagate... I would call that a bad decision after their firmware mess but it has been fixed some time ago. Did not leave good taste to Seagate owners tough.

3. thecake90

thecake90 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    Life is too short for regret :p

4. DF-1

DF-1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    Well, i believe the HD5850 if available would be a better buy for a little more cash..

but a gtx 275 should serve you well for a while.

5. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Exactly! The Cake is not lying.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    You overpaid for a GTX275 but if you really wanted to buy that game then I guess the price isn't so bad.

I don't know how far the GTX300 series is so I can't really comment on that, but in the worst case scenario you can just keep the 275 until the later revisions of the 300s come out which I sure there will be. The first set are all 384 bit, barf.

7. Deathspank

Deathspank Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    plus when the g300 are released you can sell both of your graphics cards and get some money back.

8. dockap

dockap Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 470 sli
    true very true
    option 1-download the batman game and then sell both of your cards and buy a ati 5850
    option 2-once the dx11 nvidia cards are released you can either use 1 of the cards you have for physx or sell them both

9. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Member

GPU:
    Palit Geforce GTX 275
    I've not long bought a GTX 275 as well, after I discovered I could get £90 for my GTX 260.

If the frame rates are good enough, then it is a good purchase. DX11 games are going to be like rocking-horse poo for the foreseable future, with only Dirt 2, Call of Pripyat and possibly one other on the horizon, so plenty of time for a) DX11 to gain a foothold, b) The development of new titles that use DX11 and c) enough time for drivers to mature.

10. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    If you're happy with it, then don't worry. You could have waited and got HD5770 which performs the same but with some new cool features...

I got my 260 (8 months back) and I am happy with it:)