just bought 7800gt and a64 3500

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by silversurfer512, Aug 24, 2005.

1. silversurfer512

silversurfer512 Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 7800gt
    and i cant install a thing!! When i tr to install a game it gives me an i/o error and cancels the install. This happens doe bf2 and colin mcrae 4 that came with the card

I just got an asus a8n sli motherboard as well for this rig, please can someone help?

I install nforce 6.66 for the mobo and 77.66 for the graphics card

thanks

2. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Try 77.77's m8. I think they were the first drivers to support the 7800GT, and is probably y u are having probs.

3. silversurfer512

GPU:
    Inno3D 7800gt
    sorry i madde a mistake, I am using 77.77. I think this maybe a motherboard problem as it sounds like a memory controller problem. I am going to try reinstall the motherboard drivers

4. texanterror

texanterror Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7900GS
    did you do a clean reinstall of XP? thats a thing alot ppl want to avoid due to i got my new stuff i wanna run it!! which is bad.. better to take the time off the start and do it right.. also flash bios to latest just incase.. im sure its compatable with your cpu but you never know.. check your revisions to find out exactly..

5. silversurfer512

GPU:
    Inno3D 7800gt
    Hi texan, i did do a clean format and updated to sp2 and patched to latest versions. I will check the bios version of my mobo and update it if there is a newer version. I am going to try a different ide cable as well just in case. I can't think of anything else I can try. Any other suggestions?

6. Crucible

Crucible Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti ASAP
    Well, a clean format is not always needed. I would first upgrade the motherboard's bios. Your motherboard manufacturer should have the updates on their website. And keep in mind shutting down the computer while in the middle of an update of it will be very bad. I don't know exactly what happens, but I am guessing it screws up the motherboard.

7. SYSCLoK

SYSCLoK Member Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle GeForce 6 6600 128MB, 128 b
    Uh...If your pc goes down while flashing the mobo....say bye-bye to your board, unless you have dual bios..

While flashing and if you live in a small house avoid turning on too much lights, any maxine that consumes too much energie turn it off, keep your dog,cat,turtle,lion away from from the energie plug in the wall....just in case....lol:sleep2: :cyclone: :knock:

8. silversurfer512

GPU:
    Inno3D 7800gt
    lol guys

but the a8n has a bios resotre feature from the cd so even if it does bugger up I can restore it from a boot cd, clever asus :)

9. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armor
    I'm going to try the new bios tomorrow. My A8N mobo won't recognise the IDE HD's I'm using, so it takes ages to boot. Maybe the new bios fixes stuff :p

10. silversurfer512

GPU:
    Inno3D 7800gt
    sorry to hear your having trouble to pupp3t, let us know how it goes. I can try a new bios until tomorrow.

11. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armor
    Well, it's not a big problem, because I've got enough space left on my S-ATA HD and my DVD player is being recognised in a second. I've tried using different IDE cables, but there's something wrong with the bios I think. The mobo works fine, and my HD's too (tried them in my other pc). I'll try remounting the P-ATA HD on saturday, got to visit my aunt tomorrow...