John Paul II has died

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Hiro1000, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=tolerance

;)

JP II was a tolerant man but he also had some very conservative views

they are going to have to take this into account when they are choosing the next pope.

A lot of the african clergy have some very conservative views on abortion and homosexuality and stuff - with most of the morld becoming more liberal and accepting of such things then they will need to be careful that the pope isn't too against thse things or there could be some very interesting discussions/debates ahead...

2. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    Thanx Tom for the link. Now, why would the pope be tolerant?
    Now the pope is dead, why are untolerant ppl saying tolerancy was a special virtue of the pope??

I understand some ppl are grieving, but I don't like making JP-II a Saint...

3. Damnit

Damnit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6700XT
    I never really listened to the pope. Religion isnt one of my better traits but you do have to recognize that the pope did a lot of good in the world.

For example the pope was responsible for removing communism from Poland and essentially freeing the country. And that's just one of many things he did.

Even if people here dont belive in God, you have to see that the pope (religious influence or not) did do good in the world and should be celebrated for that.

4. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    I am surprised the Vatican allowed the media to cover the funeral. That has never been done before, and was only allowed because of his influence. That alone gives testament to how he changed things.

5. glock38

glock38 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB
    They probably want a European Pope again next but IMO they should let someone from South America be Pope. I mean practically every Christian is Roman Catholic there, I was surprised when I was told there still hasn't been a South American Pope.

6. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    There hasn't been a non-european pope (Except for some in the med area in the very early years).
    problem is that the church needs to balance the liberalizing european, (US) american, and canadian members with themre traditional memebers in s.outh and central america, africa, and asia.

7. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    i just recieved time magazine's john paul II commemorative issue... (boy, all this publicity must be driving many touchy liberals and non-christians insane).

8. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm 'liberal' and non-christian.. Doesn't drive me insane at all. Who do they reckon being next in line? ;)

9. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    oh believe me, i've heard my share of bitching about all this publicity. good liberals like you aren't touchy about this it seems though. ;)

as for the next pope from what i've read in time magazine due to his powerful backing looks like the next pope most likely is going to be dionigi cardinal tettamanzi, an italian.

the article did mention however that there might be a interim pontiff for a few years before they choose the next pope. and like has been mentioned they want a pope in the 70s since they don't want popes that will reign for too long.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  10. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Heh. Well Time named Albert Einstein...an Atheist/Agnostic...as person of the Century.

http://www.time.com/time/time100/poc/magazine/albert_einstein5a.html

(boy, that must drive Christian righties insane :p)

As far as who is succeeding the Pope goes, a good story is here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/03/60minutes/main685130.shtml

11. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    no, i and every other catholic i've met that have spoken about him respect and admire einstein. all my teachers in my catholic school spoke highly of him.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  12. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I guess no one got their bets on that German Panzer-Pope or something like that? Hehe, the Norwegian papers played on that one a while back, to get people interested again.

13. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    they should elect the aussie bloke.... some bookmaker has his odds a 40-1

I can't believe someone is taking bets on that!

14. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I wouldn't dare betting on something like that. Rather wasting my money betting on who'll get ditched in the Norwegian version of Idol.

I still got my hopes up for the African ones though...

15. NewMachineIII

NewMachineIII Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    The question asked...is most difficult to answer.

John Paul II was an outsider, by a blind chance *forgive the slight* that came into papal accession. It has been quite a while, for a change of leadership *I have heard that this, was the third longest run for a Pope to do* in the church's history.

Many factors attributted to the way many saw JPII, his ability to connect with many people, the openness he created, and the legacy that has been left behind. *To be debated on the pros and cons by historians, on a later date*

I have watch the news or heard snippets of cardinals being asked, are they in line to be the next papal servant to God. And some of them reacted politely saying...no.

What has been left in the wave, has set a standard, that can be only be set to go higher, on whoever is chosen.

Every cardinal there, knows this...

There is a lot at stake with the church *and no...don't bring it up, accept the statement as is*

Who ever is nominated and voted for...within the governing body of the vatican.

Will automatically have a lot on their plate to deal with...

When it comes to this process...I will leave that decision in the most capable hands to make that choice...and it only requires one vote.

John Paul II will be never replaced...but who ever succeeds him...with have to improve on what was done.

On that...good luck and God Bless.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005

16. NewMachineIII

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    :O button, wrongly pressed.

17. NewMachineIII

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    Not again...trying to edit, and that is second time I have quoted myself by accident.:O

18. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    I have no predictions, but I'm hoping for an African pope too. That'd be pretty cool.

But I love the idea of betting on who will be John Paul's succesor. That's such a funny idea.

I've got 20 bucks on Cardinal Francis Arinze.

19. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    My condolences to the follower Pope John Paul II.
    He was a true man of peace!

20. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    He's the one from Nigeria right?

I see you and got 20 bucks on Tettamanzi and 10 bucks on Okogie.