Jerky framerate with Sapphire 4860

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by MalcolmBliss, Feb 7, 2010.

1. MalcolmBliss

MalcolmBliss New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4860 1Gig DDR5
    Hi All,
    I have a problem with this card. On certain games, there is a noticeable jerk in framerate especially when playing an FPS. You could set your watch to it, it's almost like a good stutter, once every second. The card is not overclocked and I am using Cat. 10.1. My system is more than adequate, I'm wondering what to do next. I can play games like Unreal Tourney 3, Mirrors Edge and Stalker with no jerking effect, they run smoothly. I play Cryostasis, necrovision or the like and I get the jerking framerate thing again. I can play Cryostasis on my wife's rig(Athlon X2 4400, 3850AGP) and it runs smooth so I'm thinking there's a problem with either the card or the drivers or maybe I need more power?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    do you mean something like screen tearing? if so try enabling vsync and triple buffering. or is it more like fluid game play, then there is a small pause, then smooth again?

3. MalcolmBliss

MalcolmBliss New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4860 1Gig DDR5
    It's the second part of your reply. I have disabled vertical sync and enabled it and it makes no difference, the pause is still there. I also have triple buffering enabled to try to cope with the "tearing" I get on some games, but most of the time I don't even notice it without vertical sync enabled. So it's like you said, non-fluid gameplay. I'm beginning to think I got the wrong card or something. It makes no sense that the thing runs like a raped ape on Mirror's Edge or UT3, but will not run so well on other games like Cryostasis. :bang:

It also may help to mention my OS, it's Vista 64 bit Ultimate if that helps out at all.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  4. MalcolmBliss

MalcolmBliss New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4860 1Gig DDR5
    ok here's the weird thing, when I attempt to run FRAPS so I can catch video of my problem, the issue goes away as soon as I hit the hotkey. When it stops recording the issues come right back. I hit the hotkey, framerate smooths up while recording, then when it finishes it starts to jerk again.:bang: Anybody make sense out of this?

5. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The framerate becomes smooth likely because you have fraps set to 30 FPS, at which your problem is not noticable, while you game at 60 FPS, at which your problem is.

If there is a pause in any game that happens regularly its cause will exclusively be a background program.

Old versions of MSI Afterburner do this, any monitoring software should be suspect, but it could be anything. I would suggest getting AMD Fusion and using it to turn of all your background processes. You will see, once you do that, that the pauses will be gone.

The only option once you do that is to go through each program you have running in the background one by one until you find the culprit.

6. MalcolmBliss

MalcolmBliss New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4860 1Gig DDR5
    What was it the Guiness commercials used to say? GENIUS!!
    It was the GPU observer in my sidebar that monitors the 4860 fanspeed and core temperature. Thank you sir, it is very much appreciated!
    Now, I can focus on getting Crossfire set up!:banana: