Jeffro's " I'm a complete noob and need help" thread.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JEFFRO503, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zinjin

zinjin Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga
    Good lord, the hubris of that guy astounds me.
    I wouldn't let that guy create a fart with a can of beans and a can opener, he would most definitely mess that up and end up crappin' his pants.

2. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    NO if you look at the holes it is not normal in the picture they are bored out (poorly done job) with a hand drill you can see low RPMs drill being used and you can even see where he slipped and marred the coating on the PCB.

Board is warranty void

3. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    And omfg on that thermal paste I bet stevie wonder could do a better job with a paintball gun full of AS5 pellets ;)

But it's not the worst I've seen some years ago I was working at a small computer shop and I got this P4 in that had no less than 3 different types of thermal paste all slopped together on there all over the board and even inside the socket the whole board had to be replaced it was that bad.. it looked like a baby just vomited inside the case

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  4. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    That's a little bit too cheap to put on a ROG board TBH. lol
    Nah. He's not going SLI, it's Crossfire. But anyway, no the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 motherboard is not superior to the Asus Maximus IV Extreme. As a matter of fact the Asus Maximus IV Extreme outperforms any Sandy Bridge motherboard currently on the market, just like I already said.

This is because it uses PLX Technology switches combined with an Nvidia nForce 200 (a.k.a. NF200). The PLX switches are what makes it possible for this board to run two graphics cards in native x8 x8 mode even though it has the NF200. Let me please explain. The NF200 is required to run three graphics cards in SLI / Crossfire. However, the NF200 does not magically add any bandwidth. Instead, it adds latency, which slows down graphics performance. So if only two graphics cards are installed rather than three, the NF200 will become nothing more than a fifth wheel on the wagon, really. That is, unless the game you play is being held back by CPU performance - but then again, I suppose the i7 2600K when overclocked to 5.0 GHz or above with HT on (which is a fairly realistic goal if using one of those Thermalright CPU aircoolers that I mentioned earlier in this thread), shouldn't hold back anything at all much anyway. So because it uses PLX switches, the Asus Maximus IV Extreme is the only NF200 based Sandy Bridge board that can completely bypass the NF200 if only two vidcards are installed rather than three and, also, it's the only Sandy Bridge board that scrapes every last grain of graphics performance from underneath three vidcards if three of them are installed. It's what separates the boys from the men.

5. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Guys this guy says he is new to this adding all this extraneous info isn't helping him although it's interesting.

Too much focus on RAM, he has 6GB 3x2GB Dominator modules and he can take 2 of them for 4GB and go dual channel and he's fine. If he's going to Sandy Bridge and replacing that warranty void motherboard (see my earlier reply) then why does he need super fast (and expensive) memory regardless of what board he chooses? He isn't going to notice the extra memory bandwidth aside from synthetic benches and it won't help overclocking using CPU multipliers either

6. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    My final ( I think ) email to the guy....probably not though.

" We have gotten to the point now where we need to keep everything in writing. The way i see it is this , I will keep and buy everything that is still considered good with a warranty....I have no choice , if I ever need to return it or try to re-sell it later down the road.

$250.00 credit for that water tower + the $300.00 I paid in cash , gives me an amount of $550.00. The parts I'm willing to keep are.....

HD's.....$183.00
    Ram.....$100.00
    1 - HD6870....$175.00
    Corsair 16GB flash drive...$20.00
    Nostromo Razer $60.00

Total.......$538.00. The remaining $12.00 you can keep for the shipping of the items above. I have everything here all boxed up , including MB , the other 6870 , all the fans , complete water tower and all the sata cables and so forth that came with the MB and Video card.

Nick.....you have a ton of knowledge in the PC stuff when it comes to technical type stuff. I have a ton of experience in the construction field and am extremely good at what I do. I HAVE to be good at it......otherwise you start losing contractors and the bad word gets around that you don't do a good job.....you slowly start running out of work. Portland is still a small enough town....where word gets around.

I take pride in my work.....enough that I can take a few steps back , look at my work with a big smile on my face and say " You did good on this one Jeff!" And I will go back 100 times if necessary to make those home owners happy.

When I originally hired you Nick , I wanted a good performing rig , that also "looked" good. Why wouldn't I? If this thing would of been a clean build , with all the parts still able to be sent in for a warranty......I would of slapped a couple extra hundred bucks in your hand , gave you a high five and been done with it. You can not tell me ......

1.) "Say ' Don't worry about the warranty.....nothing will ever go wrong with that( insert item here ).
    2.) "Be proud of that build on the computer and the WT.
    3.) "Say " who cares what the inside looks like..nobody ever looks in there"
    4.) "Say " don't listen to those 1000's of other people who all say I'm wrong"

With your knowledge and how long you have been doing this computer stuff.......how can you possibly say that with a strait face? Honestly....the reason why I got worked up over this computer is really simple. when you said " Don't ever open up the case....because you could short something out ! " WHAT? Are you serious?

I am so glad I didn't listen to you.....because of what I found when I DID open the case. I can't and won't pay for anything if there is no warranty. I am willing to pay for everything that I still think is good + the shipping on those items. When we hook up , I expect reciepts for the items I'm paying for ( a Newegg reciept! )....I HAVE to have those for tax reasons! And again....I may not know near as much as you about computers , but I know enough when someone is trying to pawn off some hack job onto me. I also understand why you didn't want me opening and inspecting your work. that is the part that infuriates me the most! I trusted you to build me a good computer and I would have made it worth your while to do so. But you put it together that way....and expected me to pay for it , without ever being able to look at it.

I don't think I have ever told a home owner..."Don't look at your drywall with the light on.....until after you pay me!" basically the same prince able.

I like you Nick , and wish you the best , I really do. But put friendship aside for a second and look at this from a business stand point. If you didn't some what know me , and you did this build for some big wig down town Portland businessman........what do you think he would of paid you? NOTHING!.....he would of dragged your ass to court! at least I'm willing to buy some of these parts which " I hope" aren't damaged.

And just so you know....I took extreme care when taking this stuff out. I'm not going to damage anything that wasn't already messed up. And I couldn't possibly do more damage to this computer and water tower than you did when you put them together.

have a good night.

That pretty much sums it up on how I feel about the whole thing. He sent me a couple quick little emails basically telling me I ruined his creation... :biggun:

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Too cheap? :) Dude, it's RAM, it either works as advertised or not. Just because you buy a $500 speaker system doesn't mean you need a $60 monster cable when a $5 cable is better and does the same job.

I got this exact pair of RAM, I'm running it at 1600Mhz CL8-8-8-24 1T 1.4v; it's a really great value for the money.

Hate to break it to you buddy, but the Asrock Extreme 4 also has the PLX PEX8608 chip with a Z68 chipset.

@ Jeff -

Like I said buddy, drag his ass down to a small claims court with the pictures of his job and some pictures of computers from G3D members. Also, show how he screwed up what he was contracted to do (build a new, working computer with warrantied parts) and refuses to admit guilt. Judge will have your money in hand in no time.

8. zinjin

zinjin Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga
    Well Frankenstein was also a creation and we all know how that turned out.

I agree with you on being concerned with him saying not to open the case, he knew he did such a hack job on it, he himself must have been somewhat embarrassed about it, knew he F'ked up and tried to conceal it. Didn't he think that at some point down the road that you just might have to open it up to replace a part or upgrade? I am beginning to side with some of the others on here that implied he took the parts that were suppose to be for your build and took them for himself, and gave you his used stuff and used your lack of computer component knowledge against you. I think this is also another reason why I got a little ticked off, that someone would do such a thing.

I think you did the right thing by coming here and asking for opinions here at Guru3d. Did you think when you started this thread it would be as bad as it is now?

9. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    Wow....just when I didn't think it could get any better. He had threatened to shoot me before and I know he has a gun , as he has showed to me when were on good terms. I just got done talking to the police and informed them on what was going on. I then texted "Nick" and told him if he showed up here , he would be arrested for trespassing.

To top it off , when I told him I was keeping $550.00 worth of parts ( because that is the only stuff worth anything ) he wrote me back with this .....

" no thanks, i'll take it all back, i'm not going to lose hundred of dollars bc of you. just let me know if you want the CM and psu or not and I'll switch everyhting over. Please don't touch it anymore, at all, and let me know when I can come get it, case\psu or not. "

I already have a case and PS......and he's saying , let him take EVERYTHING back , and he will order a new case and PS and build me another WT.....What the hell? Not gonna happen.

10. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    Well Zin....no , not really. But I'm dealing with a high strung , bi-polar type of a person here that thinks "I " wronged him some how. I DIDN'T! I have evrything from pics of when he brought here to all the way through the tear down process.....I have everything documented.....and he still calls me names.

I've said this before and I'll say it again , but I have been in way more than my fair share of fights.....and this guy wouldn't last 4 seconds with me. But if he has a gun.......what do ya do?

It's crazy how things can get out of control like this , when someone tries to take advantage of you....and gets caught.

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You got yourself a real fun deal there buddy, sounds like this guy is slightly mentally disturbed. Hell, for threatening you they can take away his gun license, just make sure you record it (either over the phone or email).

12. zinjin

zinjin Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga
    Well it seems its time to talk to a lawyer, no sense in beating a dead horse anymore. I would also cease from any contact with him, as something might be said or written and could be twisted against you. Now if what you are saying that he has threatened bodily harm with a weapon, just seals the deal, and time for the courts and the law to be brought into the dispute.

13. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    I can understand what you mean but if he still has the chance to return the Triple Channel Dominator kit after all then there's no need to leave one of the three modules unused because then he could get a Dual Channel kit instead, which would be more bang for the buck because it would be 8 GB at the price of 8 GB instead of only 4 GB at the price of 6 GB, obviously.

Also, the reason why I'm recommending 1866 MHz C9 is because it's more than 1 percent faster (measured overall system performance) than 1600 MHz C8, while at the same time I'm assuming it adds less than 1 percent to the total price of the rig (this assumption makes perfect sense especially if you want to do the math correctly, by including the cost of power consumption as well as software into the total price of the rig). Admittedly, in most games the performance difference is almost nil but then again, in most games so is the performance difference between i7 2600K and i5 2500K. However, I'm also assuming he is going to use other apps alot too, and not just play games (so if this assumption is wrong then yeah, i5 2500K and 1600 MHz C8 would be the sweet spot IMO).
    See my above explanation.

3 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (PCIE2/PCIE4: Single at x16 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4), or dual at x8 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4); PCIE5: x4 mode) :nerd:

EDIT: Oops, that's the P67 Extreme4 specs I copy pasted but anyway it doesn't really matter because the Z68 Extreme4 suffers from the exact same limitation:

3 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (PCIE2/PCIE4: single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode; PCIE5: x4 mode)

14. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    I have had him threaten me on the phone , but he also wrote it in an email which I still have. I have all of them actually.

15. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    If he actually is threatening you then break contact do not answer messages or calls. I would just keep whatever he gave you it is not worth the risk of confronting him in person to give it back. If he takes it to court (which I doubt he will sounds like a punk kid) then you have a perfect explanation as to why the equipment was not returned..

But if you have a lawyer you can get better advice from him

16. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    As much as digital evidence isn't direct evidence, you can still use it in a court of law as indirect evidence and I'm pretty sure based on your rig which is the direct evidence and photos of rigs on Guru3D.com which we have conveniently provided on this thread and your other thread for your perusal (of course, double check with the rig owner if they allow you to use said photo in a court case).

Sounds like you have a case in front of your local Small Claims Court.

deltatux

17. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    Man , I can tell you guys....This guy has pissed me off to no end so much.

18. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Then sue him in the small claims court.

deltatux

19. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    I have a lawyer , but I don't think he can afford one. Bottom line is , I'm trying to pay full price for the stuff I'm keeping. The non warranty damaged stuff and that damn WT is what I'm trying to give back.

20. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Not sure about the legal system your jurisdiction uses, but iirc, in Canada, you can be given a lawyer to represent you if you don't have the means of hiring one should the Crown approve (in this case, the small claims court).

deltatux

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.