JBL TLX171 standing speakers

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by GiNaJuIcE, Jun 23, 2011.

1. GiNaJuIcE

GiNaJuIcE Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1080 AMP
    I need to replace all the speakers on these floorstanding speakers including the tweeters. Anyone know where I can find replacement speakers for this model?

2. heymian

heymian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    ..perhaps contact JBL??

3. GiNaJuIcE

GiNaJuIcE Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1080 AMP
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  4. RexAeterna1987

RexAeterna1987 Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870@stock
    partsexpress.com sells replacement speaker drivers and crossover components. if you can't get original dome tweeters the JBL's used you can also buy simple replacements or better ones. just make sure the tweeters are of same impedance. type of dome don't matter. it can be metal,silk,cloth,ect. replacing speakers not very hard at all.

have you tried taking the tweeter out and doing a AA/AAA battery test on it to see if it is in fact the speaker itself? to do battery test you can use some speaker wire(or any copper wire matter of fact) and match the positive and negative terminals to the positive and negative side of the battery. you should hear something if speaker does work and if polarities hooked up correctly it should push forward as well.

5. GiNaJuIcE

GiNaJuIcE Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1080 AMP
    well the only speakers i have to replace are the 8" woofers and i might be able to fix one of the tweeters since the wire came off the back of it. Thinking about just getting the re foam kit for the woofers.

6. RexAeterna1987

RexAeterna1987 Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870@stock
    re-foaming will be cheaper most likely and better choice if the drivers are still functional. you just might have to break them in a bit after the re-foam cause the surrounds at first might seem a little stiff so don't push them too hard for while after re-foam.

wire? you mean the crossover terminal that you hook to the speakers' terminal? or the thin copper wire from the dome's voice coil came loose? i resurrected my technics sb-t200's silk dome tweeters by re-soldering the voice coil strands to the terminal joints. was a pain and needed lot of patience cause the tweeters voice coil strands were thin as piece of hair.

7. GiNaJuIcE

GiNaJuIcE Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1080 AMP
    yea one of the very thin wires came off the back of one of the tweeters.