It's time to upgrade but should I take the green pill or the red?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Redawgc187, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Yes, especially when they released the geforce FX line...
    And when they took 6 months to release DX 11 GPUs that cannot match ATI in power consumption and price and only offer 10% better performance in like only 2 games? (just cause 2 and metro 2033) ?

OK what ever floats your boat

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yes well all that is irrelevant - Nvidia still reigns supreme, would you like to know why??

Physx. :wanker:

Can't argue with that. There's even eye catching buzz words included so it must be true.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  3. klanjsek

klanjsek Active Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD 5870 900/1250
    :invasion:

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Common sense heat and wattage??? GTX480 draws more power than my current config does. Every gen from nVidia seems to suffer from increased power consumption. At the rate nV is going....we'll need 1000watt PSU's just to run graphics cards in 3-4 gens. Imagine having a 300watt PSU to run the system and a dedicated 1k PSU to run your graphics card....that's where nV is heading.

Buggy and incomplete? Sorry...I fail to understand this. I've been using ATI cards since the Rage Pro days and still...after all these years, have yet to experience the first driver issue.....so, exactly what "bugs" are you referring to?

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    ATI and nVidia are both very good company`s. ati has the single best dual gpu card by far (5970) and nVidia has the best single gpu card (not by a lot). competition is good for us

6. Nuke_Meltdown

Nuke_Meltdown Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 SLI
    Power consumption...Who give a damn now that most of us have at least a 750W PSU in our rigs.

I'm still running on a 850W PSU for my 2 480's, same PSU i was running my 280's not long ago...

7. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    oh you poor manipulated soul by nVidia's Marketing Team from Hell

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I avoided looking at this thread yesterday as i feared it would turn into yet another Red v Green war, but got curious cause im bored, and yep i was correct, Groundhog Thread.

Sash, i think Pill Monster's posts were very much tongue in cheek.

People can be allowed to like Nvidia features, it has nothing to do with being manipluated.

On topic, people need to judge it from Redawgc187's position, and not your own.
    He likes PhysX, so that is +1 to Nvidia, but he also has a CF board so +1 to ATI.

These days i judge cards on the exclusive features, as its not just which one is fastest anymore.

I don't think the cards are competing as much as the old days, feels more like aiming for different markets.

ATI - Eyefinity & HD Audio bitstreaming - Lower Price, Lower Power Usage, Lower FPS.
    Nvidia - Cuda/PhysX & 3D gaming - Higher Price, Higher Power Usage, Higher FPS.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I thought Sash was taking piss....:3eyes:

Hey nVidia,

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    lol, no idea, but i've never saw him being anything other than serious when it came to this stuff.

But apologies if you were Sash, not suggesting you have no sense of humour or anything :p

11. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Felt like I should inject this:

A simple work around for ATI's 120hz bug is to simply up the 2d clocks. This can be done via Afterburner, a BIOS tweak, CCC profiles, whatever. Just bump them up till its stable.

12. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    I have plenty of it, it's just that Batman AA's physx had no scene of humor, that is why i hate it

13. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    PhysX having no sense of humour, im lost now lol.

14. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Earlier I put the old 8800GTS 320 in the system with the 9800GTX+ and set Physix to high. Now, what am I supposed to be looking at that makes Metro special? I really can't see it. At first I thought it was the smoke, but I have the same smoke with 4870, so, I just don't get it.

Personally I prefer AMD/ATI cards to nVidia. nVidia Have Cuda but AMD have GFlops. My next card will, definitely be an AMD one, I'm going to whore those Milkyway and Collatz points :D

I totally agree with this. But even in the GPGPU arena the 400's are a failure, as some companies have been asking AMD to provide support for once, because AMD cards are simply better suited for this, as they consume a lot less power and create a lot less heat. I don't know if AMD will finally start caring, I hope so, I can only dream of Seti running on a 4800 series and above.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    [​IMG]

:p

If we had sigs Sash's comment wud be mine

16. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Wud it nao?

17. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    I think it all just depends on your favorite color and colors that are associated with your hobby. Like if you like Christmas then go for ATI, if you like toking the herb, go with nvidia.

18. Kill4L

Kill4L Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Laptop
    i have both Ati and nvidia (Asus 5870 v2 + Asus GTX 470) and tbh Nvidia much better
    good driver support a lot of features.
    also keep in mind nvidia did a good job with 257.15 there was a big performance increase and i think it will be more when whql will be released :)
    go for Nvidia :) less bugs , faster support , good overclocking. more silnce than ATI
    u may say it's hot yes it is but that normal for this chip i never get 90 C on stock clocks on my gtx :) also if u set both fans to 100 % ATI make more noise :)

19. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    For instance the one I just posted? Getting a 120Hz monitor to work on ATI is hell, let alone actually managing to get it to work properly anyways. On nvidia I just plug it in and it works on any res, even custom ones.

The fact that ATI still has issues in older games such as CS Source, which still haven't been fixed after they've been known for all these years.

They're drivers are pure utter crap, to bad though, else I would've ordered myself a 5870, since it truely is the best bang for buck, until you get all the driver issues. Therefore I'm happy to actually pay the extra few euros for a nvidia card, knowing that everything is going to work as it should. I've got a Samsung 2233RZ btw.

20. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB