It's time to upgrade but should I take the green pill or the red?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Redawgc187, Jun 4, 2010.

1. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    This article should be disregarded, I have shown in two threads why it is useless as a point of comparison.

Anyone spreading that article around as an attempt to get people who ask for help to buy a specific card is doing them a great disservice.

2. Wanny

Wanny Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G
    Green pill makes you more happy, and poorer. Red pill lacks satisfaction but you are richer.

Your choice :D

IMHO if money isn't an issue, just go for Nvidia, you won't be disapointed TRUST ME (and many people here). I wouldn't be getting a 2nd GTX 470 right now if I was disapointed rofl.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  3. q8_devil

q8_devil Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 295
    don't forget nvidia vision.

4. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    I went red this time around (5970).

Sadly, I can't give you my impression because my card was DOA.

(Well, half DOA ... one GPU didn't work and I could only run it with the bad GPU disabled in device manager - otherwise windows wouldn't boot)

Running the card in single GPU mode (a-la 5850 speed), it was pretty decent.

What I liked a lot was that the 5970 stayed fairly quiet, and the heat exhaust was no worse than my 8800 gtx's.

My 8800 gtx setup would heat my room up to nearly unbearably hot levels. I'd game in my underwear due to the heat buildup.
    I simply wasn't ready to go 480 sli and have even more heat.

I don't care if the card itself is hot. I don't need it to last forever. I just want my room to stay bearable.

I was a bit afraid of the noise, but when I found out that the 5970 is almost as loud as a 480, I wasn't so bothered by the prospect of 480 noise.

If performance was my deciding factor, I'd be using 480 sli right now.
    But a 5970 is 'good enough' for me right now.

Keeping my room cool (5970) was more important to me than the fps improvement (480 sli).

The benchies I've seen show that 4 cores of an i7 will handle 6+ threads as well as 6 cores of the thuban.
    In some cases the 4 core i7 wins, in some cases it loses.
    (The x6 can have a real edge at times).

Its hard to draw a conclusion... look at multithreaded cinebench. At matching clocks, the two are neck to neck.

I can show you synthetics where the x6 dominates, and I can show you synthetics where it gets dominated.

I've seen benchies which speak very well of the x6.
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=508&Itemid=63&limit=1&limitstart=7

If you're gaming, CPU doesn't matter as much. So I would go with what you personally prefer. For a mid-range system, I'd be happy going upper end AMD.

Or you can wait for lower end 6 core i7's to come out, and OC them. But I don't know anything about intel's schedule, so don't assume they will be out anytime soon (or ever).

Generally, if it's hard to say what to go with, it means you're safe with either choice.

The X6 has a really strong price point.
    Price wise, the x6 is competing with a 920/930, and it's got an upper hand in performance at stock speeds.

The decision could just come down to 'how much do you plan on OCing'?

There's a great argument on this thread :
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/281043-28-definitive-1090t-choice

Read it, and all the links that people post.
    It's a really informative thread. Lots of good links, points, counterpoints, etc.

-scheherazade

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010

5. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    none of you agree with me? you're all insane

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Nvidia.

7. Jonp382

Jonp382 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
    Nope. :p

8. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    I'm only replying to "what to do if you're not waiting".

Waiting is always an option :p

But yeah, your point is very good in the scenario of : how to drag out the life of your current system without dropping 'significant upgrade' money.

-scheherazade

9. Barton C++

Barton C++ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    Why nvidia hibernated 6 months extra?

- They wanted exactly the best one gpu card, with common sense heat, wattage etc. I'm sure they had the fastest card 4-6 months ago...but to what cost in terms of heat, watt etc ?

Today you'll see 480, 470, 465, 460..I'm sure soon there will come 475, 485, 490, and dual 495 also, with better energy/fps ratio...ATI just miles ahead with lower energy consumption ;)

ATI has for the 2nd gen come with cooler and lower watt cards. This is the future

To do: put $1000 of your savings into ATI... dont think nvidia will last 2 more gens.ATI has low nm dev from cpus, nvidia will become the future physx provider only...I'm sure they have lots empty physx card boxes from the buy few years back.

GTX 500 will be something ? Or is it PhysX 500 ?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  10. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    Yeah I know. It helps against the pills lol.

11. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    Just get an i7 and sell your 4850's for a GTX 480 and be done with it. Not too hard of a situation. I'm in a situation on whether to keep my 2nd 480 and get a bigger case later on that can actually hold 2 480's or sell my 2nd 480 right now and get a bigger case right now and save for the 2nd 480 later.

12. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    I thought really hard about what renegade said my mainboard is AM2 AM2+ therefore would not support most new phenom cpu's and I can OC mine to 3.2 so the AMD Phenom II 940 which is the top end cpu my mainboard supports would not be much of an upgrade for me. Anyways I am gonna givemy wife my cpu, mainboard and ram since her motherboard died an old socket 939.

13. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    I would not mind being in that situation now since I could easily buy a bigger case now. So how do you like the 480's?

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If it's AM2+ check Biostars website to see if your board is compatible with Phenom II. Might just need a BIOS update.

15. Wanny

Wanny Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G
    Bahahahah.. ahah.. ah.. Okay I finished laughing.

16. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    Yet ATI fails @ 120Hz LCD's, and that's only 1 of the many reasons I'm forced to buy a NVIDIA card again. ATI = good cards, but their drivers are so buggy and incomplete imo.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I haven't :D

18. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    I did and AMD Phenom II 940 is the highest it supports.

19. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    ^ Not to mention it fails at Photoshop as well. And Premiere. PhysX? Never heard of it before. :D

20. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    nvidia has proven to be superior again and again, its ATI thats history.