It's that Time (New Build) 5820k or 4790K??

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by [Mudd], Dec 1, 2014.

1. [Mudd]

[Mudd] Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 ACX SC
    Well it's about that time time for a new build and not sure where to put my money? "What I do" pretty hardcore gaming (will be getting 970 or 980) alot of multimedia music (including midi instruments) movies and editing my own home movies (not heavy just learning it) mild/novice overclocking nothing hardcore ocing for me. One pretty big thing is i like to stretch my builds I like to make them last 4-5 years.. So what do you guys think save some money with 4790k or spend alittle more and go 5820k? the big difference is the 4790k you can grab for 299 and 5820k is 389 plus there will be about 100 bucks difference in ram and may 40-50 bucks saving on mobo, so we are looking about a $240ish savings between the builds. Also what do you guys think about the vcard gtx 970 or gtx 980? i don't plan to sli.

Thanks again.

2. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I just went X99 platform from my other rig an X79. I enjoy a faster platform. I mainly game but also do some video stuff. For gaming a faster quad core works just as well as the 5820. So you could save money yet have great gaming performance. If your running lots of programs or video editing the X99 will give you quite a performance boost.

3. [Mudd]

[Mudd] Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 ACX SC
    Thanks any other thoughts? Is there going to be a sufficient or advantage with the 6 core in the near future? being that theres not a huge savings i to be sure going with a 4790k on a 1150 platform thats its going to last me.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    6 core will be more future proof, i came from a 3770k at 5ghz and its a decent upgrade. Multithreaded stuff it hauls ass

5. [Mudd]

[Mudd] Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 ACX SC
    what about the video card... save money and go 970 or pay up and go 980? I plan on getting a 27-32" monitor running 1440p

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You can almost get two 970s for the price of 1 980. that should be a no brainer

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    But as he's not planning on SLI he might think about a single 980 yet again. But there might be the Titan around (way more expensive) or the 390X (who knows when and how it's coming and if it matches the op's update time frame).

If you have to do it now, and really do not want to go SLI, go for the 980 under air, 290X under water. If you want to give SLI a try, you can't go wrong with two 970s! But that's just my two cents.

8. [Mudd]

[Mudd] Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 ACX SC

Yeah i need more 2 cents... thats why im stuck but he makes a good point on the 970 could get one now then a 2nd later down the rd.. how do you feeel about the 4k or 5k i7?

9. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Do you have access to a Microcenter? You'll be able to get either CPU for 250, 300 (+tax) respectively.

I personally suggest you just pick up a X99 platform now, as the extra cores will definitely allow it to last longer. You'll also have access to Broadwell-E chips in about more than a year down the road, provided Intel continues following the same schedule as X79. This means by the time your ~4 year cycle is up, you should only be behind the "enthusiast" platform (if it still exists in the same way) by only one generation, chipset wise.

Graphics cards move at a much faster pace, so if you don't want to spend that much at once or don't need the additional graphics horsepower yet, hanging on to older hardware allows you can take a peak at what big Maxwell and the 380/390 have in store for everyone in two to three months. Otherwise, a 970 seems like the best buy at the moment. A 980 is obviously faster, but I just don't see the C/P ratio being worth it. A Titan has its place for GPGPU due to its higher DP performance and loads of more RAM, so the intended audience is different. The 290X doesn't really seem that attractive at the moment unless you find it at a very steep discount and if it comes with good cooling.

I would just recommend getting a 970, and if the big Maxwell, Pirate Islands look much better, either sell it and grab a new one, or pick up another cheap card for SLI. However, a X99 platform will remain relevant for several years to come, especially since most improvements are focused on efficiency.

10. nigelltjee

nigelltjee Guest

GPU:
    r9 280x 3gb ddr5 CF
    I like the 4790K alot it is a great oc'er

11. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    If you had to go x99, I would get the 5830k for extra PCIE lanes for SLI or other PCIE devices.

Otherwise, stick to 4970k and OC to the max. Even with SLI and CFX, you will get a ton of cpu power out of it.

Only if you run serious multithread items should you just get the 5820 for more cores.

There are handful of game engines that support more than 4 core/threads (BF3/4, Crysis 3 and Metro) but a quad core with maximum speed would be good enough.

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I would go with the hex core if you are planning on doing multi-task style things such as Video rendering or streaming. Also the x99 platform is more future proof than Z97 is because of the other x99 CPUs. Yeah I know that z97 will have broadwell at some point but that won't be for a while yet.