It's Official!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticitizen013, Aug 2, 2006.

1. ultimate360

ultimate360 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7900GT KO 256MB
    Good luck, and I hope everything goes ok. :)

2. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    Careful now, noone wants this to turn into a war thread. Especially not Drakazar.

Drak: That's great that your family supports you fully. It must provide an immense blanket of comfort for you to know that they are also proud of you. Again, congratulations!

3. candle_86

candle_86 Guest

good luck man glad you made it, I myself was disqualifed from the US army, on my induction day, they found out I has asthma, good luck and god speed.

*I was going to Army Rangers if your curious*

4. Now drop down and give me 200 private! NOW NOW NOW!!!

wonder if your basic traning will be any kind of hell like mine was.

5. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    good effort dude, been in the royal marines myself and getting an officers commision hopefully too with them, just remember 3 things, where they say to be, at what time and in the right rig :)

6. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Hah thanks so much everyone! :D

Im really looking forward to the team part, thats one of my main reasons for wanting to join. While we were filling out all the papers, someone asked if we finished our work early, if they could goto sleep early. The Pte. that was conducting said "What kind of team player are you?!" I thought that was pretty funny. :p Oh we will be getting about 6 hours of sleep every day. Its not too bad, as your body gets used to it pretty quickly.

Thats also what the Lieutenant said was mirrored in Spooners post; the first few weeks are the hardest because thats when they break you down and you learn the ropes. He also mentioned that we will be on a fairly high floor, and we aren't allowed to use the elevators AND we have to carry all our gear up and down those stairs like 6 times a day.

Im glad theres so many people here with real military experience/interest (past games of course :p). Again I really appreciate all your support, thanks!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  7. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    You sound like a war veteran, man! I know you were in the marines, but for how long? What kind of duty? I've got a friend that's MI and does some pretty scary stuff :3eyes:

8. Hickory Stick

Hickory Stick Member

GPU:
    XFX 7600 GT XXX
    Drakazar:

Congrats, stay safe! Youll probably get a chance to go to Afghanistan eventually. Hopefully youll be lucky enough not to get hurt. Definately something I would not do, but stay smart.

Remember this is real life now, if you get shot you can't respawn.

By the way, at the base in Kandahar they have a Tim Hortons shopp!
    Cheers

9. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Good luck.

10. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    Best of luck Drak.

If you want to see action now is the best time to join the army. People who joined 2-3 years ago are now in Afganistan seeing real action. The Canadian military is involved in a few conflicts right now, nothing large scale because we don't have a large army.

But you may be sent to Afganistan, or even Lebanon when they get it all setup - possibly Haiti; we've got troops there too. I don't know if we still have troops in the balkans. Now that Harper is putting more $$ into the military you'll see a difference.

11. anticitizen013

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Yeah, they said most of us will likely be sent to a hostile theatre in the future, but thats just part of the military.

Im glad Harper is putting more cash into the army, we have the training but we dont have a lot of the low level equipment like NV goggles and believe it or not, ammunition. We need more of that as well :p

I just hope they send me on a peacekeeping mission or something of that nature before they send me to a hot warzone. Either way I will be prepared.

Also I was talking with someone, and he brought up such a good point that I feel I need to relay. I wont state his name unless he wants to speak up, but here is what he said.
    That really is such a huge morale boost. Very important. :D

12. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

do u get to use fire?
    i looooove fire!!! :)
    do u get to use things that go boom???
    they are so yummy lol
    boom!!!! :biggun: :chainsaw: :littlegun :zap: :pipe: :peng: :chainsaw: :vader: heeheehee lol
    things that go boom ^^^

13. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X
    Good luck in the army dude :D!

14. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080
    Good luck in the army Drackazar. Hmm i wonder here in the US do they make you go forcibly or just by a choice. I know for a fact that if i visit my country again i am going to the army definately to serve 2 years as a infantry.

So anyone knows if they make you serve here in the US?

15. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    No draft yet, though they made me sign up with the SSS. :frown:

Are you Israeli?

16. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    Drakazar if u can get your dirty paws on a 50.cal sniper rifle Id be willing to take it off your hands.....those things are even worse then elephant rifles

17. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    try shooting an elephant with that gun & there wont be no elephant left.......

18. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

oh ya... do u no how much those things weigh?
    they weigh like ur holding a car

19. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080

Nah mate i am in NY and i am Bulgarian but in the country you are required to take military service. I know it is a total BS but you have to do it. If not they do charge you a fine for about $2500 US dollars equivallent per year if you do not show up

EDIT: Yeah but i am in a different country and they cannot do anything about it so when i become 21 they really cannot force me to join anymore and the fine would be invalid then. As long as i stay out of the country for a while i am going to be alright.

20. anticitizen013

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    I personally think the 1 year of military service is a good idea, except I think it should only be reserves, not regular (unless it is... hehe).

The Canadian Sniper course is very very difficult to get into... its INVITE ONLY. So you have to be pretty damn amazing to get in (heres hoping :)). Of course, this means we have some of the best snipers in the world (longest confirmed kill was 2.43KM by a Canadian Sniper). The rifles themselves are of course very heavy, but you get used to that type of weight with the training. While Im waiting to get invited to the sniper course, Ill be taking some other courses such as the HMG course, and paratrooper. Theres just so many opportunities in the army, I cant pass them up :D

My grandpa was in WW2 as a British Paratrooper, and when I asked him about jumping out of planes he said "The first time is scary as hell because you dont know what to expect... the second time is just as scary because you DO know what to expect."