Its been what?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by BlitzTown, Mar 26, 2020.

1. BlitzTown

BlitzTown Member Guru

Its been what since the 5700 launch a year?
    And i still have problems with old games.
    Should i bite the bullet and get a 2070?

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I thought one buys 5700 to play new games.

3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    There are some people who play old games too. :p

BlitzTown likes this.
  4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    What games are you having issue with, and what issue? What's your system specs?

BlitzTown likes this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Nothing wrong with that but then 80$ rx570 is enough.
    Most of the Navi issues has been fixed so i heard.

6. BlitzTown

BlitzTown Member Guru

I9 9900K @5Ghz
    rx 5700 Xt
    850w power supply gold
    16 gigs of ram
    1T SSD

i have huge lag spikes that last a few secs then back to normal on my old games like gw2/csgo/league/and others

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I'm one of the folks who didn't have any Navi problems. My theory: buy a cheap old tech motherboard, get issues. I found it coincidental that with the release of 20.2.2, soon after there was a chipset update by AMD. And for people that still have issues, I'll wager those are Intel chipset systems, or AMD users who haven't updated.

BlitzTown likes this.
  8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Did you kill Mandatory ASLR and Bottom-Up ASLR in Exploit Protection? (In App and Browser control)

BlitzTown likes this.
  9. BlitzTown

BlitzTown Member Guru

Ill look that up thx

10. BlitzTown

BlitzTown Member Guru

it was off by default

11. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    Define "lag spikes". Just install some monitoring software or use adrenalin to see what's exactly happening when you encounter these problems.

BlitzTown likes this.
  12. BlitzTown

BlitzTown Member Guru

My core clock drops to 5mhz for a few seconds

13. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    Fresh windows install or did you upgrade from something ? I would suggest cleaning the driver with https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601
    There are plenty of people on both camps with these problems where in older title's the core clock stays stuck or drops on older games. Also do you by any chance have RGB software running, it could be a cause of problems.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    BlitzTown likes this.
  14. BlitzTown

BlitzTown Member Guru

Fresh install of windows 10 and yes all my pc has RBG lighting even the video card

15. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    Yeah question is did you install the software for it ? Corsair icue/msi light/e.t.c and other rgb software have a tendancy to cause weird problems, i suggest you uninstall the software or disable it and see if the problem still persists. I uninstalled that software as soon as i found out it caused system freezes from time to time :confused:

BlitzTown likes this.

16. BlitzTown

BlitzTown Member Guru

I will try this

17. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Some things to try:
    Make sure all things are up to date as far as drivers and system software go on your system. Do consider temporarily suspending the use of non-essential software like lighting control software as another poster mentioned - these sometimes are rife with issues.
    Test that your power supply is known good and working under load (if power amps or wattage drops, this is the same symptom). If you have a spare, try that (you don't have to mount it up if the cables are long enough, just sit it next to the system with the side off, and unplug your old cables and plug in the tester's cables, sit it on a box if need-be if not long enough cabling).
    Make sure to pull your wireless adapter if you have one, or manually disconnect the system for a while if ethernet. Sometimes things accessing the internet, or adapters refreshing connection can do this as often with Realtek ethernet it's all software, it's not hardware driven.
    Monitoring software can cause this type of hitch (especially if it's consistent), especially on AMD hardware, more-so if you have older non-updated software. Yes, even Core Temp (though more common for it to hitch up on Ryzen).
    Try disabling PCI-express power save modes, where the slot will drop link generation to save power - that's likely an option in your BIOS.
    Disable your processor overclock during testing for these things, you can save it as a BIOS profile and come back to it later when the time is right.
    Consider underclocking the card and or processor (don't do both at once, do one, then the other), if so it's either stability, heat, or a power related issue.
    At the very worst, you can also try a different PCI-express slot, if you have more than one (even though this may cause PCI-express 3.0 x8 and not x16 operation, you'd only lose at-most 3fps in 98% of scenarios, hardly a loss on old games).
    Some - very few - old games have issues with intel's execute disable bit and (very old games like Sim City 4) Hyper-threading, too. You might want to (while running it) change core affinity to just one core in task manager & close-out and restart your application/game. We used to use process lasso for these things, but don't run out and buy a copy just for testing it. They might have a demo if need be (you don't know if you need it yet).

I hope you find the cause to this issue. Sometimes it's the dumbest of all things. Try googling it, too, you're likely not the first person.

BlitzTown likes this.
  18. BlitzTown

BlitzTown Member Guru

No luck still getting lag spikes.

19. BlitzTown

BlitzTown Member Guru

Thanks for all the info i will look into some of it i have googled the problem and tried all the fixes

bobblunderton likes this.
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    have you used the amd driver removal tool, as recommended by chastity?