Italy lockdown ...how bad is the Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    I don't even know my bloodtype. I used to have a vaccine card with my type on it but it's gotten lost over the years.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Ask Google, will know for sure ;)

Solfaur likes this.
  3. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    In New Jersey USA no one can enter a store without wearing a mask. Every state here is different.

GamerBoyManuel16 likes this.
  4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Even if a mask is only reminding people to keep their distance and be wary when they are out then at least it's doing something positve in the end to help fight this thing.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Yes indeed the Corona virus is a plague if you use the word in the context of describing a widespread infection. Is is not, as you point out, Plague the disease, which is a bacterial disease. Lets not confuse folks with being excessively nitpicky over terms.

I suppose if you're a spitter... saying masks are useless without a face shield for the general public seems a bit stupid to me...if we're arguing about stupid. Just sayin.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  6. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Masks are for limit the risk to infect other people, they do not offers a good protection against get infected. If you want a protection against get infected you need at least a respirator (FFP2/KN95 or even better FFP3/KN99/KN100) + protection glasses. Unfortunately respirators are costly and usually not reusable (and even if they can be washed it's for a limited time), a better solution is a washable mask with replaceable filters. Anyway a couple of meter of distance between people helps more than a surgical mask.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Something is better than nothing, the risk of catching it will be a little lower.
    I wear a folded towel and gloves when shopping, they go in the washing machine when I get home.

Catching it through the eyes would be a more serious issue if we could breath through them.
    Wearing a mask reduces the amount of air turbulence around my face.
    Slower air flow, less risk.

Small steps, I do what I can.

toyo likes this.
  8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Also, wearing masks (at least here) gets people to stay away from you.

It also means less bugs in my mouth when cycling so its a winwin.

9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    And less pollen.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Stores in the UK/Scotland really should be asking people to wear masks inside to stop asymptomatic people spreading it to their staff members.
    I don't and really should, but the masks my wife ordered only just arrived yesterday.

I don't think wearing a mask gets people to stay away from you though, Ive saw people in masks targeted for "wind ups" as they didn't think infected when they saw the mask, they saw scared.

11. GamerBoyManuel16

GamerBoyManuel16 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 Pulse
    When the mask requirements have been introduced here people started to ignore the distancing in shops etc .. and it got worse since then
    Seems for the most it's now "i'm wearing a mask, keeping distance does not apply to me" .. :(

12. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Both countries did already, it's just not a requirement so only a fraction of the population bothers. But as above it was done like this to avoid people thinking they're magically protected.

13. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280
    Just look at the infected cases for Hong Kong / other east asia countries and comparing it to US / UK in populated area, the number of infected is relatively low due to wearing masks and following social distancing policy / other preventive measures. Not to mention HK is the first place where all the people goes to when the virus hit the news and the HK gov did nothing at all even when doctor and nurse urging them to close the border.

Wearing masks actually does prevent the spread of the virus due to those who does not shows any sign of symptom.

toyo likes this.
  14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Americans are realizing this "lockdown" has been nothing but a form of control. Things are opening back up and life will be getting back to normal.

itpro and RzrTrek like this.
  15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Unfortunatly the masks won't protect from that kind of stupidity, you just have to keep aware of your surroundings at all times and try as best to steer clear of these cretins, and i know how you feel, even when going to the shops only once a week during lockdown and seeing everyone queue 2m apart, you got the odd idiot just wander right up behind someone and stand almost in their back pocket.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    GamerBoyManuel16 likes this.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's selfish more than stupid, I have very little concern about catching it but I do worry about unknowingly spreading it.

XP-200 likes this.
  17. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Same here.
    This.

XP-200 likes this.
  18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I was at Ikea last friday (for a birthday present for a friend of mine and she's got social anxiety even before Corona), so I did her the favor.
    The shop itself was not as crowded as the just on friday once more opened restaurants, bars and cafes... no distance there at all (although there's supposed to be at least 1 meter between tables), and along the lines because of eating K├Âttbullar and fries, no masks either. This is how you ask for a second wave...

Although I believe that now there is no way back to the lockdown we already had in Austria, I don't see how people, after two months, have not had the logical understanding to grasp how infectious transmissions work, what the rules are supposed to do, and that you do not have to rush to be the first at anything after such a lockdown in the first place. I too think that here we were lucky enough at the start (besides Ischgl maybe), and that soon there will be life as usual before that whole thing, but people are so fing dumb sometimes...

XP-200 likes this.
  19. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Do you or your lady friend have Covid 19? If not then you have nothing to worry about. You can have all the physical interaction you want. It doesn't magically appear out of nowhere. Just saying..

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    No we don't, but without symptoms, how should we know, being relatively young and healthy? And to be frank, I don't worry about myself, more about my grandma and my dad who's in terrible shape. And like I tried to imply, she doesn't like masses of people in the first place, even before all the covid stuff happening.

Here in Austria we're actually in rather good shape with roughly 600 deaths and about 16k infections, which would mean we have about 0,03% mortality compared to the whole people living here, and no real increase over average deaths in march and april compared to the years before. I just tend to stay on the safe side to not have to deal with issues of conscience if my grandma or dad end up in the hospital. If they would have been opened I would even have attended the gym all that time tbh, at least there would have been more time and less people around to excercise.

Mufflore, Alessio1989 and jbscotchman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.