Italy lockdown ...how bad is the Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

I dunno about that. Italians have quite a few words starting with furbo :) although it's puzzling to me that as to why the south of Italy is still doing so much better than the rest of the country. Yes OK - much lower population density but even if you compensate for density... isn't the South that much less disciplined? If any1 doesn't give a damn about state and rules isn't that Calabria, Sicily?

It's like this virus is at the same time very very transmissible,.... yet if you follow few simple rules, it's relatively easy to control. Come to think of it - there is no contradiction there.

2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Keep partisan politics out of threads here.

3. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    South is even less disciplined (simple sample), however the virus spread mostly in the north from the beginning..

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    In the end, we all gonna get the virus. Either by infection or via a vaccine.
    Sounds a bit gloomy, but better to prepare for the worst and hope for the better than otherwise.
    Just hope in the case of the infection to suffer a easy form of it and get over it. And start donating plasma or antibodies to others to help out.
    Not that I want IT. NO.
    But waiting for something almost inevitable, it's eroding the mind and body.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yes but I am not talking about absolute numbers, but the trend; inclination of the curve if you will.
    We don't see anything close to exponential rise (luckily), even with distancing lacking as that ^^, is what i mean.

6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    So what I'm wondering is, if there is yet no proven immunity like WHO said, does that mean there's a chance we'll never get a working vaccine?

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    A number of possibilities.
    The vaccine for a particular strain is only viable for a short period after being given so may need to be given more than once over a longer period.
    The vaccine for a particular strain does what we hope and lasts.
    The virus mutates enough to need a new vaccine very regularly, maybe too regularly.
    A vaccine may be created that covers a very broad spectrum but doesnt last long.
    A vaccine may be created that covers a broad spectrum and lasts a long time.

Its too early to know, all we can get are warnings and current progress reports.
    The direct answer to your question is yes, it is possible.
    The chance of it remaining this way is slim, a huge amount of resources will be applied to attack this from a lot of angles.
    Even if it looks lost, we have some serious tools to take apart how the virus operates, not least of which is AI.
    But it could take a long time to get a result thats safe to use on the general population.
    Then again it could be real bloody quick.

Who knows atm.

Amaze likes this.
  8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    All it too was my first pointing out the facts of the sequencing of the virus genome by several labs making the Dr's claim impossible on its face. Thanks for recognizing that. Oh wait, you didn't, you still wanted to promote your theory.

9. billydydcoen

billydydcoen Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2060 OC TUF
    No Alessio, altrimenti non si spiegherebbe il 94% dei nuovi casi in Lombardia, mentre al sud il virus sta regredendo in maniera significativa. Eviterei di parlare di cose che non conosci, sebbene gli episodi di cui parli (manco li ho visti, credo ti riferisca al funerale di Saviano) siano vergognosi. Al sud stiamo barricati in casa, altro che indisciplinati. Vedi che a sto giro alcune regioni del nord non ci fanno una gran bella figura, un esempio: Trivulzio.

Ps: sorry for the italian post but it’s nothing useful for the other users.

10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF

11. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's not about a funeral in Saviano, just look how many people al fooling around in the streets.

As for Lombardy... In other ages Fontana & co. heads would be on spikes along the wall of the city....

Satiric video about Lombardy (hint for English users: enable subs).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Ok you guys want unbiased, unfiltered, factual news? Look no further than the smartest cat on the internet.

-Tj- likes this.
  13. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    - new cold war pushing, spicy
    - China bad, US good, super high IQ take, full of nuance, and not at all caused by terminal levels of partisan ultranationalism

jbscotchman likes this.
  14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Daily mail, the king of the sensationalist gutter press, how many miracle vaccine stories have they posted these last few weeks, must be going for the click bait record, i expect them to say santa claus will have a vaccine ready in time for xmas at this point.

scatman839 likes this.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I wont dispute they post some crap articles but so do all papers.
    I'm very selective what I read.
    If you disagree with a particular link, please post why.

17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Maybe so..but I did not get a word into the article cause...headlights...
    dat ad....

NSFW
    headlights.JPG [​IMG] [​IMG]

MOD EDIT: This is a friendly reminder that some people are still at work. So a heads up for NSFW and that image between spoiler tags would be more appropriate.
    now it just fills the screen almost full size. not really appropriate at work.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2020
    lmimmfn likes this.
  18. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    For the first time in Italy the number of currently infected people is decreasing (-20, but other 454 deaths though...). Time is getting longer to a country restart (the number of swabs per day is higher then 1 month ago, but still other new 2256 infected), not sure about other near countries if the they are making the right choices accelerating all the things..

19. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    Some new info from here in Los Angeles, a new USC study found more that 60 times the projected number of people have the antibodies, which equates to more than 300,000 infections, most are asymptomatic as well.
    Interesting.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Rather than make a load of posts when I find an article I've bundled them here.
    If you prefer not see them this is easier to avoid.

Kim Jong Un is in critical condition, not known if its related to Coronavirus, he denies they have it.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ader-Kim-Jong-grave-danger-heart-surgery.html

This doesnt help, no checks at all are performed on people arriving from CV19 hotspots at airports in the UK!
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ts-theyre-not-stopped-Covid-19-screening.html

The US has a lesser strain of CV19 than Europe.
    This helps explain why some places in the world arent suffering the full calamity.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...lved-far-deadlier-spread-Europe-New-York.html
    But then again, the following 2 articles could account for a higher difference:

** Evidence from round the world suggests wearing a facemask will help protect you.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rus-outbreaks-Rates-countries-suggest-do.html

** What looks to be the real reason we arent being advised to wear masks in the UK.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ask-supply-risk-public-advised-wear-them.html

The minimum amount of exercise we should do while in lockdown
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...imal-exercise-need-stay-healthy-lockdown.html

This is dreadful, at least one company is forced to sell millions of PPE equipment abroad because they havent been able to get a response from the UK government. Despite a huge lack of PPE and a promise the government is looking at every channel to purchase through. Makes you wonder what you can believe.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...HS-faced-five-weeks-frustration-red-tape.html

A Chinese study has found near 30% of people who recover from CV19 have practically no antibodies which could mean no immunity from catching it again.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...virus-patients-hardly-develop-antibodies.html
    I question this. If their body was able to repel it without creating a lot of antibodies, maybe it can do the same again?
    Further study is needed to understand why.

Pollution is potentially a high risk factor.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...lution-major-contributor-COVID-19-deaths.html

386SX and jbscotchman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.