IT Security Roles

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Sparx, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Sparx

Sparx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 6950 OC 2GB
    Hello,

I'll be applying to university this September and I am interested in the networking and security aspects of ICT and was wondering if anyone could explain the roles and elaborate a little for me what the jobs generally tend to be?

Jobs such as;
    • IT Security Consultant
    • IT Security Manager
    • Information Security Manager
    • Network Support
    • Senior Network Support Engineer
    • Network Analyst

Thanks. :)

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Network support could find you looking after Networks on Hospitals, Universities or Colleges, maybe contracting to Govt. departments. It could also involve remote administration from within an office environment...
    May involve mundane jobs like backing up servers as well. Networking is a good role to be in if you don't want to be bored.
    Senior Network support is higher level role that could see you working on projects or building networks that the support techs fix or maintain, or looking after servers. Basically one position requires more a better understanding of networks than the other.

Not sure about the Security consultant though except that it would require a good knowledge of Group Policy.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  3. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Consultants make a lot of money, but you also need to be pretty good.

Security Manager may involve keeping things patched and making sure you change password and wireless keys etc and checking Firewalls constantly.

Information Security Manager, keeping records secure, probably crosses into Security manager a fair bit.

Network support is mundane, making sure people plug into things properly.

Network Support Engineer will be creating the networks and setups and configs.

Network Analyst will probably go into Engineer a little when helping with problems with Network settings and weird things that are happening. ARP Storms and other random crap.

4. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I'm currently looking for a job as a server admin (internal transfer) and it basically involves tagging or rebooting servers

So I dunno for these jobs but I know usually the name doesn't mean a lot XD

5. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    You need to understand that you are going to cross jobs, especially in Uni's and things, they like just give you more and more of a workload so you'll be doing probably a mixture of them all.

6. evilkelvin

evilkelvin Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 XFX BLACK
    ^agree with the post above, im actually studying IT security at a university in melbourne and its my 2nd year so far. Its pretty good but like the post above, at university level, u have to cover everything, ive covered like networking,programming sql,C++,C#,html,css,php and so on and so forth... so yeh even if u dont like programming which i HATE hence thats why i chose IT security u have to probs do 1 year of programming:wanker:

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OMG...... programming. We had to take basic programming when I was studying to be a Tech, I could never see the point. Can't even remember the language now.

Absolutely hated it - and failed haha.

The first class we had, our lecturer pointed out that the national pass rate was 30%. Not exactly encouraging words...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009