1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It is worth buying a GTX 1080 right now ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by javier9lt, May 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. javier9lt

javier9lt New Member

GPU:
    GTX 860M
    Im building a new pc and i was going to put a GTX 1080 on it. I just saw that the new GTX 1170 was coming out soon and it will probably outperform the GTX 1080 for maybe the same price that the 1080 is right now.

The problem is that my last pc broke days ago, so i dont really want to be the whole summer without pc/gaming for waiting for the new graphics to come out on august/september (as ill wait for the assemblers to release their graphics, dont want to buy a founders edition).

I dont really know what i should do, as i dont know how the new gpus will really perform and how much they will cost, and most important, when they will be avaliable for buying

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Why not buy a card like a 1050Ti which isn't inflated?

Then you can buy a 1170 and sell the 1050Ti; that's a better idea than spending 700 USD on a 2 year old 1080.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    If you can find one as MSRP or near it. Nvidia has the FE(Reference design sadly) in stock sometimes, and usually will send out alerts when they are in stock again. Last time they were in stock were last Friday, and that lasted about a day or so.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-store/

But check back every now and then if you want to buy one.

There's the PC Part Picker list.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=367&sort=price&page=1

Or, second hand as well.

Performance is still pretty good with these cards, and really I don't really foresee any big performance jumps from this generation to the next anyways.

BetA likes this.
  4. metagamer

metagamer Master Guru

GPU:
    If recent history is anything to go by, the 1170 will be fairly affordable and perform around the 1080ti level (RIP AMD).

That being said, if you're really desperate to get a GPU now, the 1080 is a great choice, if you can find one for a reasonable price. If you have a 1080p/60 monitor, it'll last you a while. Really down to what kind of a deal you can get and how desperate you are. But they're great cards.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6gb
    Good idea.

Nosein likes this.
  6. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    Issue is, when are the new GPU'S coming. No reason to launch anything for a while as no competition, so when are they new Green things coming?

7. Nosein

Nosein Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 580
    In the same boat. Everything else in my pc is the latest, but im rocking a gtx 580 (I was desperate to get back to pc gaming since I only had a console to play on).

Best answer in this thread is the first. Though ive made the decision to hold out till the 11xx series as Agent-A01 said, (I don't know why this text is now red) there is no point in paying full price for 2 year old cards.

I may even wait till metro exodus releases and see whats required to max it out at 1440p+ and 60fps+, then make a decision.

jaggerwild likes this.
  8. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 256
    Good card for 1080p I'm happy with it since i have a 1080p 21:9 moinitor, but you should wait, trust me, if the rumors says the 1170 will outperform 1080ti then the obvious way is that 1160 will outperform the 1080 and with more vram probaly, even if more than 8GB of vram is a bit overkill for 1080p for 1440 or ultrawide resolutions 12GB is required since i saw my 1080 using all 8GB with sttuter in final fantasy XV (texture pack) and huge perfomance loss in wolfentein 2 (with uber textures) when using dsr at 3440x1440 or 3840x1600 respectively so maybe next 1160 will come with 12GB or 11 like the current 1080ti so games with ultratextures runs better on high res monitors.

jaggerwild likes this.
  9. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1 1550/7800
    There's no reason to think the 11-series is coming out any time soon. 10xx cards are selling like crazy still and AMD doesn't have anything for the high-end market.
    If you can find a good deal at a shop that has 30-day returns, buy one now and return it if new cards are announced within the next month.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    If they want to sell these 4K HDR 144Hz monitors, then there is reason to think the 11-series is coming out soon. Because otherwise, good luck running HDR games (which implies modern games) in 4K at 120+ FPS. Currently, a 1080 Ti is good for 60-80FPS 4K in modern games. New gen GPUs from NVidia traditionally offer 70-80% higher perf, so a 1180 Ti would meet the 120FPS 4K target, which would be the GPU that makes sense to have if you get one of these monitors.

11. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, Ti usually comes out nearly a year after xx80 model. So those monitors will have to wait a while anyway.

70-80% higher perf is ridiculous, it's more like 20-25% at most across the board.

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    When you look up the reviews of the 980 Ti, the 1080 Ti and the Titan V, and look at the game benchmarks in high resolutions, the perf difference is much higher than just 25% compared to the previous gen. You see games running at 45FPS on the previous gen, and 75FPS on the new gen. One would expect the 1180 Ti to have at least the same jump in perf.

I'm not sure how the "benchmark average" sites calculate their "across the board" numbers, but I suspect they take into account low resolutions too (1080p and 900p), which is dumb in this case. 4K (and even 1440p in many cases) shows huge jumps in perf between generations.

13. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hmm you're right, didn't think the 980 ti was that far behind, but looks like 40-50% improvement at 4k was fairly common.

14. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    1180 would have DDR6 which would bring in miners in droves, while the Green team will no doubt gouge. It may very well be a good time to buy a 1080Ti.

15. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I got a pretty good deal on a 1070 ti with a 60 day return. Will hang on to it for a few weeks and see what happens at Computex.

16. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Nope! Grab the 1180 instead in 2 months time.

17. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti SeaHawkX@2k+PG348Q
    There is no solid proof of that. It's all rumours. We may or may not see something in 2 months.

DAW40 likes this.
  18. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    All Rumors!
    Truth is, there is no reason to release a new card. Even if the Red team get there heads out of there collective asses, they been falling short. They could re release old cards with new name's. ON the other hand DDR6 has been in production for a while, that means steeper prices when something new comes along. This isn't shaping up well for gamers...

Organik likes this.
  19. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti SeaHawkX@2k+PG348Q
    I wrote exactly that in some other threads.

From Nvidia standpoint, there is no reason (unless they want to make consumers happy (which I doubt)) to release new GPU's. We will see something new from AMD next year, hence most likely a release will be Q1-Q2 2019. But we may be surprised.

20. sneipen

sneipen Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 2ghz
    If you can wait, wait. Considering the pascal is 2year old tech its overpriced if you ask me. But thats what happened when amd is so far behind. If the pascal will give you the performance you need, and you will be happy with it. Buy now. Why wait for next gen when you dont need the 20-30% better performance? Btw, im guessing the 1180 performance vompared to 1080ti. Im also guessing they will sell the 1180 as a high end card when its a cut down mid end chip. And when they milked it the ti will come, like we seen with pascal. Im tired of pascal, and they are still pumping out new cards based on this chip.. You could also buy cheapet gpu, save some cash for next line of gpu's. Maybe amd will bring something ok to the marked, but i dont think we will see anything that can compete with nvidia anytime soon. They are so far behind, and nvidia has volta.
    Btw, i have a gtx1080. Its a great card. Tho, i need next gen gpu because 4k is on the edge for what my gpu or pascal can handle 60+fps.. Hoping 1180ti will be up for the task...

Last edited: May 24, 2018