Issues with new hardware - GPU Stuck at PCI 1X @1.1

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PanicCS, Dec 17, 2020.

1. PanicCS

PanicCS New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070ti
    Hey guys,

I'm not normally one to post to forums as I usually manage to troubleshoot my own issues, but this has me completely and entirely stumped. I got a new 9700k and an Aorus Z390 Pro WiFi board today, and installed them in my PC. After lackluster performance in games, I discovered my 1070ti is stuck running at pci 1x, gen 1.1. I've tried 3 different versions of the BIOS, anbd every chipset driver I could track down. I've reinstalled Windows (just in case,) removed every M.2 drive, as well as my sound card and every other add-in card. I've tried single channel memory and dual channel in every slot. I have also tried another GPU, my old RX480 runs in 16x @ 3.0 in the same slot that my 1070ti is having trouble with. I've done DDU in Safe Mode as well as normally, and tried 3 different graphics drivers. Furthermore, when put in ANOTHER system, my 1070ti runs 16x @ 3.0. This could very well be the hardware problem of the year for me. It's bizarre and has me stumped. Any suggestions? Here is a GPU-Z screenshot for anyone who might want one: http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/20/12/17/sv2.png

Thanks

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    did you use the gpu-z render test to see if this changed to 16 x 3.0? some pcie controllers use both clock generator and lane count as power management.

This cpu is LGA based, heatsink mounting pressure can affect the lanes to the pcie controller too.

3. PanicCS

PanicCS New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070ti
    http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/20/12/17/sv2.png
    Thanks for the suggestion, but yea, ive tried it with that render test as well as a gaming load, and a full synthetic load. GPU instantly at 100% usage even in games that normally wouldn't come close, and all PCI info remains the same.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    alright, remove the cooler and inspect the socket for bent or dirty pins, as wellas the base of the cpu for anything, with any luck just putting the heatsink and cooler back on might solve it.

5. PanicCS

PanicCS New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070ti
    Back from under the hood. Definitely had my cpu block on a little tight, but chip looks perfect underneath and all pins on the board are good. Are we out of options yet? I'm thinking I may have to RMA this board, but if you have ANY other suggestions, i'd love to try 'em.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if its still 1 lane then yeah, i'd say the board's buggered.

Get the retailer to replace it before going the RMA route.

7. PanicCS

PanicCS New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070ti
    Thats what you would think, but why would another graphics card run in 16x then?

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i've seen the occasional manufacturing defect on a device on all 3 ends cause problems like this.

slot could have poor contact because of the weight of the card, the pcb could be slightly thinner, slot could have the wrong tension on the contacts, pcie controller could just not play nice with the card.

PanicCS likes this.
  9. PanicCS

PanicCS New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070ti
    Yeah hardware is weird man, thanks for your help. RMAing the board today and a replacement is on the way. I was withholding this information until the end of the thread for fear of getting no real help, but this was a refurbished board so I can't say i'm surprised I had issues lol