Issues with forced AA

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Aarnoman, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Aarnoman

Aarnoman New Member

GPU:
    R9 290
    Hey everyone,
    I've recently been going back into my subsimming days (modded Silent Hunter III, a 2005 game) and have been attempting to force antialising through Radeon settings (18.2.1) and, once that failed, Radeon Pro. These are the settings I used within radeon settings: https://imgur.com/a/SVQ1y

Both of these however did not work. Interestingly, forcing Vsync was successful, but any AA settings simply weren't applied in game. From past experience I know that forcing AA with Nvidia card in Nvidia settings works without issue.

Extra notes: I'm unable to use reshade/other injectors to force AA as the game uses a modified d3d9.dll file to achieve upscaling to a more modern resolution of 1920x1080.

If anyone could give me any guidance or workarounds in enabling AA it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Aarnoman

Aarnoman New Member

GPU:
    R9 290
    Oh, also, specs are as follows:
    Intel i5-3570k
    R9 290
    AMD Radeon Adrenaline 18.2.1
    Win 10 64bit

3. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700XT Gaming OC
    I haven't tried every game that I have installed but overriding AA (specifically trying SSAA) hasn't worked in some time for me. I think last time it worked was in 17.2 drivers.

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    Reshade+SweetFX & FXAA x8 or x9 -> working in almost any game, then you can add MAA in Adrenalin ;)
    Just remember to Fix:

/*-----------------------------------------------------------.
    / LumaSharpen settings /
    '-----------------------------------------------------------*/
    // -- Sharpening --
    #define sharp_strength 1.71 //[0.10 to 3.00] Strength of the sharpening
    #define sharp_clamp 0.031 //[0.000 to 1.000] Limits maximum amount of sharpening a pixel recieves - Default is 0.035

// -- Advanced sharpening settings --
    #define pattern 3 //[1|2|3|4] Choose a sample pattern. 1 = Fast, 2 = Normal, 3 = Wider, 4 = Pyramid shaped.
    #define offset_bias 1.2 //[0.0 to 6.0] Offset bias adjusts the radius of the sampling pattern.

//I designed the pattern for offset_bias 1.0, but feel free to experiment.

5. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700XT Gaming OC
    So fr33jack mentioned that forcing AA through Global Profile instead of Game profile might work. And it actually does for Rocket League! Never thought of trying through Global Profile. This makes game profiles mostly useless.

6. niume123456

niume123456 New Member

GPU:
    r9 290x windforce O
    I want to bump this thread. Because I have exact problem. I tried global settings didn't worked.
    CPU. Intel xenon 1230 v3
    GPu R9 290x
    driver 21.2.3.
    I had nvidia gpu before and AA worked very well. I remember in Nvidia inspector you needed to set a compatibilty to some game in order to AA work.
    Please help me. Its my favorite game and I want the game to look beautifull just like with nvidia :(

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  8. niume123456

niume123456 New Member

GPU:
    r9 290x windforce O
    Okay I didn't found a complete solution but its still great victory for me.
    So while messing around I have found out that anti aliasing does work but only in 1024x768 resolution. But when using a 1920x1080 mod for some reason it doesint work (Worked for nvidia gpu). Luckily the game had windowed option which always ran in 1024x768 no matter the resolution. SO what I did is downloaded "borderless gaming" program. Which lets to play windowed games in windowed borderless mode. I activated the game with it and now I have achieved full screen experience with 1920x1080 and working anti aliasing I have heard that borderless mode demands performance from the pc but I don't care I still run above 100 fps.