1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues Undervolting Powercolor Vega 64.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Nathan A Torres, Sep 14, 2018.

?

Do i need under volt my red devil Vega 64 card? and is something wrong with my card?

1. yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nathan A Torres

Nathan A Torres New Member

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 8GB
    I know the benefits of undervolting Vega. I Had a blower style vega 56 card flashed to 64 once, undervolting that card was no problems to get more performance. Ever since i got this card its been a odd experience. from trying -25mv to -100 mv undervolt with an 2-4% overclock, my card is stable clock wise but i cant even overclock the hbm above stock or it results in crash or below 97% (while doing 3d mark stress tests). Also would result in green flickering artifacts in tomb raider demo. Also leads to llower firestrike scores. i just resulted to leaving the voltages alone, which allows me to put hbm at 1000mhz (havent tried higher) and overclock at 3% (currently) with no issues as i can notice. (firestrike score being around 23000-24000) I wonder if im doing something wrong or should i rma the card.

2. GlennB

GlennB Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    You probably have Hynix HBM chips which are known to have trouble overclocking. In your case they run fine with standard voltages but it wont do anything lower. Only solution is to pick up a reference card which has Samsung HBM chips.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    A Vega 64 would be confirmed Samsung though, plus the voltage is locked on the memory to 1.35v on Vega64 and 1.25v on Vega56
    (The "memory" voltage in Wattman serving more as the lowest overall voltage the card will use, I prefer 1.0 as a value here but 0.900 - 0.950 could work just as well.)

Different cards will have different results though, assuming contact is all good and well and temps are fine it might just be that this GPU can't do better without running into stability issues for the memory chips.
    (Though Samsung usually has no issues hitting 1.0Ghz and then up to 1050Mhz it's usually good too before you run into artifacts, there are exceptions but this seems kinda low overall so I wonder if it's just binning or something else.)

EDIT:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/8t26xr/overclocking_vega_64_red_devil_and_couple_of/

That's a post with another users result, each GPU is different though so max possible overclock/undervolt will vary but this seems unusually low before it artifacts though maybe the binning on the memory modules just can't do better.
    (Still seems off what with being Samsung and all which it should be on Vega64, Hynix well ~900 Mhz or so perhaps a bit higher and then that should be it.)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  4. mtrai

mtrai Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Red Devil V64 all have Samsung HBM.

Yes also Red Devils need to be under-volted.

LC Red Devil Stock is 1250
    Red Devil Vega 64 Turbo bios stock is 1200.

Personally I have better results on my Red Devil flashed to the Red Devil LC bios, I did this on the turbo settings, however keep in mind this is a one way flash. The Red Devil LC bios LOCKS the bios on that switch setting with no way back to flash it to another. So I put the original Turbo bios on the middle setting replacing the standard bios so I could compare them.

My Red Devil Vega 64 is an evil beast that taunts me...it will, all on its on, try to boost to 1850 and higher, well above what the core is set at. However my HBM is stable at 1150.

I also have repasted it a couple of times now...the original paste job is very sloppy and that helped a lot.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    JonasBeckman likes this.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    mtrai update your RIG :D

6. mtrai

mtrai Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Who has the time lol...beside I forget where all that stuff is. But done lol

7. Nathan A Torres

Nathan A Torres New Member

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 8GB
    The thing is undervolting my card makes it perform worse and lower benchmark scores, not allowing me to overclock the hbm when i do so also. Its samsung memory. Which was unlike the case for my previous reference and powercolor vega 56, when you undervolted and put the +50% power limit.

8. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Master Guru

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    Return the card or just deal with it. summer is a good time to under volt if your in a household that doesn't run ac religiously. but it more for someone who wants to min max. just use defaults manual voltage, +50, apply some new paste, fix fan curve.. amd power user features have degraded because there is a lot of auto tuning and lack of official bios editor and flasher..

can also underclock like -12 works okay

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018