Issue with Windows 10 Fall creators update

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by scandalous, Oct 18, 2017.

1. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    Hi guys,

I did a clean install of the W10 creators update yesterday and I'm having an issue.
    Whenever I try to open a 3rd party program like Plex, NZBGET and Google backup & sync, basically programs that open in the browser, nothing happens for 20/30 seconds after which they open.

In the mean time when I check my task manager, I can see something called the "service host: state repository service" ramp up, using a lot of CPU power). This goes down again as soon as the the aforementioned program(s) have been opened)

I've tried setting my default browser to, Firefox, Chrome and Edge and the issue persists.
    I'm on all the latest drivers for my hardware.
    My Windows version is 1709 and build 16299.19.
    Windows is up to date.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Edit:

Posting my system info here to save you a few clicks.

BenQ xl2410t
    Intel i7 6700K @ 4.4GHZ
    eVGA GTX 980TI Classified
    ASUS MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA
    32GB DDR-4 3200MHZ
    Samsung 840 Pro 500GB
    Creative SoundBlaster ZxR
    Corsair RM 850x
    Coolermaster Cosmos II
    Windows 10 Pro X64

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    nah idea, sry.

Does Google drive count? Cos it's working fine here.
    Same build here. Spent last three hours getting rid of different Event Viewer errors.
    Maybe start there - Event Viewer

3. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Well right at this minute im have to restore my main PC that i use all of the time because of the fall update ,(maybe} during the update the PC rebooted then that was it , it wouldn't continue with the update nor could it get into windows ,its said that there was no windows installed on the drive , as what has happened i couldnt tell you , but ive had to boot from a usb with windows on than go to repair.
    After trying a few of the repair options i'm now restoring from a system img i made last week and luckily it seems to be working i'm about halfway there .

The only thing i can think off is that sometime ago i used a program called windows 10 manager and removed all the default apps including the store and xbox everthing apart from Cortona ,also let it apply some so called speed, security and optimizations .

I did try to install all of the apps again before the fall update using windows powershell but it wouldn't do it, so i ran the fall update anyway as it was from windows update so i thought it would be ok .

So even the img im using now to restore will have the apps removed, so if that had anything to do with it i'm buggered and will have to do a fresh install of windows which will be the first time in a long time

PS,,,im not using silly windows 3rd party programs again as i've never had this sort of thing happen before

4. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    It seems I was able to solve the issue by creating a new user account. I don't know why this worked but everything seems to be working okay so far.
    I'll update my post should thing go awry again.

5. estux

estux Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    Today I have build my new computer and after installing windows 10 (clean install fall creators update) I am having this very same problem. :/

6. estux

estux Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    @scandalous for me creating a new account didn't help....

7. SlazsH

SlazsH Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Trio X
    Had this problem as well. @estux
    1. Make sure to create a NEW user WITHOUT admin.
    2. Log into the NEW user account at least once and make sure everything is working. (edge, settings, external links, etc.)
    3. Then log back into the ORIGINAL admin account and make the NEW account as administrator.
    4. Delete the original buggy admin account.
    5. Profit.
    NOTE: If you create a new user WITH admin, right off the bat it won't work. It HAS to be a regular user. Then make it ADMIN after you log into it at least one time. That's how mine worked. Now everything is working fine for me.

8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Had the same issue, solved itself over night. From the look of processes load during the issue some service was misbehaving so you could probably try restarting it. In my case I think it it was State Repository Service.

9. estux

estux Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    Thank you very much for the help guys.

I had a lot of apps installed and configured in my account so I didn't want to switch to another one. So I followded @SlazsH steps, in step number 3 I checked if the problem persisted in the old accound and it didn't. I will post again in case it comes back, I had no idea what is going on with this problem.

10. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    I'm glad I was able to give you guys some insight. I do have another issue and that is the start menu not working. I can open it sometimes by clicking the left mouse button and then the right, after which it'll open. Windows key on the keyboard does nothing. Extremely annoying not to say the least.

The bug can be fixed after signing in and out of my account, but I hope it gets fixed soon since I don't wanna keep doing that after every start up or reboot.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Another solution is to shut down explorer.exe process and start new one. Most easy way of shutting it down is to right click on taskbar with Ctrl+Shift - it will give context menu item "Exit Explorer". Then press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to launch Task manager and there start new explorer.exe.

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You can just open Task Manager, right click Windows Explorer and there's a Restart option these days.

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Sure, but that is not most easy way - you should search for explorer in Task manager.
    Also the knights of command prompt could use taskkill in cmd and Stop-Process in PowerShell and then launch new instance.

PS And ofc script can be created.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  14. KuLiKo

KuLiKo Guest

GPU:
    GTX 860m 2GB GDDR5
    This solved my problem. Thanks for amiracle2 from https://www.tenforums.com/installat...eators-update-state-repository-service-2.html

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070